Basecamp and Nav 5.......... My way .............

What sort of route? Just between two points or was there a list of preferred roads or waypoints?

John

There were about 12 required way points that I had to create This is a slightly edited for privacy bit of the E mail he sent me
Start is GU ??

Finish is PL12 ??

No motorways or dual carriageways, going Via:

Hartley Wintney
Upton Grey
Stockbridge
Wilton
Shaftesbury
East Stour
Sherborne
Crewkerne
Honiton
A bit down the M5 to Chudleigh
Bovey Tracey
Princetown

Blimey, I really should really edit this thread and maybe create some new topics out of its pieces.... It's going all over the place, just like Nutty's fumbling attempts at a route.

Thanks Wappers and Redrick, I'll have another bash at it a bit later, once I've worked out how to get this rope off my neck.:thumb:D

There were about 12 required way points that I had to create This is a slightly edited for privacy bit of the E mail he sent me
Start is GU ??

Finish is PL12 ??

No motorways or dual carriageways, going Via:

Hartley Wintney
Upton Grey
Stockbridge
Wilton
Shaftesbury
East Stour
Sherborne
Crewkerne
Honiton
A bit down the M5 to Chudleigh
Bovey Tracey
Princetown

Just under 4 mins on Mapsource, used the first postcode that started GU and the same with PL12. Created route between these two then dragged and dropped it onto the towns listed. I have to admit to knowing where some of these places were in relation to the basic route. Those were very quick to add in

John

im really thick and even i can do routes here and abroad using MOTO GO LOCO

Just under 4 mins on Mapsource, used the first postcode that started GU and the same with PL12. Created route between these two then dragged and dropped it onto the towns listed. I have to admit to knowing where some of these places were in relation to the basic route. Those were very quick to add in

John

Map source must be best then !

Jhon i was actualy editing my post as you must have been typing your reply, i was editing it to add the information i was missing as i had to look back at basecamp to clarify, and with reference to starting from the start of the route, providing you start there you actualy do not need to go backwards and come in and out of the insert tool. as long as you dont make a mistake you can just keep moving forward to the end that seems the most sensible way, but you do not have to do it this way, you can start at the end point and work backwards or indeed the middle, and then move in both directions.

I still can't get this to work in Basecamp. No matter where I start trying to modify a route using the insert tool it copes with the first change but from then on if I try to change the route further up it just goes back to that last point. Surely I don't have to work my way along my existing route until I get to the next section I want to modify.

John

no, as I said I knew where a lot of those towns were in relation to the magenta line Mapsource produced. Anyway what is best is what works for you.

John

Read wrappings post to nutty
Use the create route tool with a start and finish then with the hand tool just drag it to suit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is using the hand tool to drag and drop the route a Mac thing? I can't get it to work on my laptop.

John

It depends on the circumstances, I've used Mapsource for years, and have no problems planning all my routes.

When I bought my wife a Nuvi unit, it appeared to only work with Basecamp, so I set about learning how to use it, and did ok, but then I found out that the latest units can be made to work with Mapsource, so went back to using that program.

Mapsource is every bit as good as Basecamp for creating custom routes, and for me, a whole lot easier, and much quicker.. so, better? not really, but easier?.. yes.

John once you have done the insert once if you then right click anywhere on the map you should then be able to move forwards or backwards on the route between either points but ensure after you have right clicked the anywhere, the route must be highlighted.

you will see the thick black line appear iff you put the insert point between any of the points. you will only of course at this stage have 3 points start end and somewhere between the two. put your insert tool between any and watch the the thick black line appear.

John once you have done the insert once if you then right click anywhere on the map you should then be able to move forwards or backwards on the route between either points but ensure after you have right clicked the anywhere, the route must be highlighted.

Thanks, that works, the day is not wasted!

John

OK, so by highlighting the route, it's easier to play around with.

2 final questions.:D

1) Can you convert the route onto the latest map? I've done the update, but as my Nav is back on the bike, it's revered to the 2015 map in Basecamp.:blast
2) There are lots of small red arrows on the new route. Most are pointing in the direction of travel, but some are pointing back the way I've been. How do I get rid of these?

:hide:JB

OK, so by highlighting the route, it's easier to play around with.

2 final questions.:D

1) Can you convert the route onto the latest map? I've done the update, but as my Nav is back on the bike, it's revered to the 2015 map in Basecamp.:blast
2) There are lots of small red arrows on the new route. Most are pointing in the direction of travel, but some are pointing back the way I've been. How do I get rid of these?

:hide:JB

The unit will convert the routes to match the maps and as longs there are no huge road changes it will be fine
The arrows show direction of travel and if they go back on yourself there is a slight flaw in the route ( Sorry but i did say it was done in a hurry) to rectify you can just move the shaping points a bit in the same way you drag a route

The unit will convert the routes to match the maps and as longs there are no huge road changes it will be fine
The arrows show direction of travel and if they go back on yourself there is a slight flaw in the route ( Sorry but i did say it was done in a hurry) to rectify you can just move the shaping points a bit in the same way you drag a route

Ok, I'll try that. I didn't know if there was a way of just deleting the arrows pointing in the wrong direction, but couldn't work out how.

Is using the hand tool to drag and drop the route a Mac thing?

I guess so, not least as I can do it on my Mac.

I leave it out of explanations as to how to create routes on a Mac, as it's a double edged sword, in that it's quite easy to touch a route by accident and drag it when all you really want to do is move the map about.

Back
Top Bottom