BMW Off Road Skills course

Ive been given the level 1 course for Xmas.

Going on 6/7th august 2017...cant wait.

Shortly off to Portugal to break in the new steeds. :thumb

Very much looking forward to that, and yes it will be the 1200.

Done course 1, 2 and 3(though admitted I only have the cert for 2 as they combined courses that day). Really worth doing and really quite challenging. 98% of riders will have done nothing like it.

Highly recommended, combined with some local accommodation a great trip.

I'm booked on Level 1 course 12/13 May, anyone else on the course that weekend?

Just completed Level 2 with a couple of mates over the weekend.

Excellent course, really much more full-on trail riding than Level 1. It was pretty wet on Friday and Saturday with a few breaks when the sun came out, so the slippery mud was in abundance. This is my least liked surface to ride on, but persevered and definitely felt more confident as time went by.

We also did lot's of ruts, some seriously steep hills (up and down) as well as traversing inclines etc. Our instructor this time was Gwyn Barraclough, a really nice guy and an amazing rider!!

We all had a few 'offs', but on the last afternoon session (typical) I managed to damage one of the cylinder head covers on my bike when it hit a rock, and it was dropping oil. No issue, Gwyn gave me a (very quick) pillion trip back to the van where I was given a replacement! I was mortified that I had damaged one of their nice new GS Rallye's, but am assured it was nothing that a quick trip to the workshop couldn't fix.

A great way to spend a couple of days, roll on the beginning of August when we are back for Level 3.

Scott.

Attachments

• IMG_0145 small.jpg
    IMG_0145 small.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 657
  • IMG_0154 small.jpg
    IMG_0154 small.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 656
  • IMG_0150 small.jpg
    IMG_0150 small.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 663
Do you ride your own bike or are they on lenders ??

Whoops. Asked that question when I was was half way down reading page 1, the photos above I assume demonstrate that they have bikes for you !!!!

It's a must do thing great fun.... but wife smashed her ancle to bits after a full day out just putting the bike away no lug to get your toe around on the side stand slipped and bang. Shameful thing was no call from Messrs Pavey et al to check on her as she was dropped at local A&E, somewhat disappointing as it was our 3rd trip there. But would still recommended it!!

I'm booked in with a biker friend of mine, end of September 2017 Level 1.

Cant wait

Did this course Fri / Sat having ridden for 20 years and didn't know I still had so much to learn. Absolutely fantastic but the new bikes are something else - trip to a dealer next week me thinks

Did this course Fri / Sat having ridden for 20 years and didn't know I still had so much to learn. Absolutely fantastic but the new bikes are something else - trip to a dealer next week me thinks

Me too.... Great fun :)

I was booked onto the course "Level 1" in June this year.....just about to leave and some scumbag nicked my bike with all my gear! I phoned the BMW off road school to let them know and see if we could postpone my course for another time, "Sorry we can't help" is the answer I got. So the theft of my bike cost me £500.00 more top of the agro of my bike being nicked.

I got the bike back the following day "the power of Facebook, not the police" with only my panniers missing which eased the pain slightly.

But can't say much about the BMW ORS anther than "thanks for the help".

NOT IMPRESSED IS A UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm booked in with a biker friend of mine, end of September 2017 Level 1.

Cant wait

Hi Warlord

I too am booked on the end of September Level 1 course but am having second thoughts after the guy on the office number told me that although third party insurance is in place we are personally liable for any damage above scuffs to the bike that we ride. The bloke told me that I had to sort out my own cover and suggested that I talk to my insurers. Of course my insurance offers no cover for the riding and the brokers are unable to insure me in any way.

My view is that the thought of having to apy for any damage to a course bike is going to severly hamper my riding and make it more likely that I will drop it.

What's your view?

Interestingly, the page on the ORS course website that said that there is no personal motorcyle cover appears to have been edited since I spoke to them because I cannot find the reference to personal motorcycle cover.

http://www.offroadskills.com/additional-information/terms-and-conditions

Richard

Ive been three times and never saw any instance of any damage being required to be paid for. Its my understanding any reasonable damage done during the training is accepted as par for the course and covered by your payment.The only mention of damage in the T&Cs is [ from the 2017/2018 version]

78524ccb14d59920d7745221b876c98a.png

Ive been three times and never saw any instance of any damage being required to be paid for. Its my understanding any reasonable damage done during the training is accepted as par for the course and covered by your payment.The only mention of damage in the T&Cs is [ from the 2017/2018 version]

78524ccb14d59920d7745221b876c98a.png

Thanks Andi.

Indeed and is what I would expect

However, when I saw the bit about personal motorcycle cover on Thursday - that I now cannot find - I rang the ORS office and was told in no uncertain terms that anything above a few scuffs was down to us. Don't know what's happening there and I would have thought that I had made it up had it not been for the reaction from the office bod. He gave me Simon Pavey's number but despite leaving two messages I've not had a reply. I've even looked at Internet Time Machine and the web page seems to be the same as was last updated in March.

Thanks again

Richard

No mention of damage being covered by the rider in the email to me last week for next years booking other than that section I quoted. The only mention of Insurance is that theirs does not cover the rider in case of an accident.

3cb9e1fe01cfc70286944b3a5027b45d.png

No mention of damage being covered by the rider in the email to me last week for next years booking other than that section I quoted. The only mention of Insurance is that theirs does not cover the rider in case of an accident.

3cb9e1fe01cfc70286944b3a5027b45d.png

Thanks Andi

Indeed

As I said, I would have thought that I made it up but for the response from the office bod. Very perplexed.

Hey ho, looks as though I will go to play in the mud with fewer worries.

My - possibly excessive reaction - has been fueled by being stung big time by a car hire firm recently. No need to go into details but it's made me extremely warry of uninsured losses.

Cheers

Richard

Like I say Ive been 3 times [6 days] and the most I've seen is other riders damaging three head covers on rocks when the bike has dropped badly during practice,All that happens is it gets inspected and either repaired with epoxy or if there chance of metal in the gearbox a replacement bike is provided. I have seen two people with shoulder injuries from falling badly whilst traversing ruts one of which required a trip to Hospital but he was back in a sling for the awards. The team even drove him and his car home due to the nature of injury to his shoulder.

I guess we are just fortunate to still at the moment, have an NHS service and not need private health care like the Americans.

Like I say Ive been 3 times [6 days] and the most I've seen is other riders damaging three head covers on rocks when the bike has dropped badly during practice,All that happens is it gets inspected and either repaired with epoxy or if there chance of metal in the gearbox a replacement bike is provided. I have seen two people with shoulder injuries from falling badly whilst traversing ruts one of which required a trip to Hospital but he was back in a sling for the awards. The team even drove him and his car home due to the nature of injury to his shoulder.

I guess we are just fortunate to still at the moment, have an NHS service and not need private health care like the Americans.

Thanks Andi

Richard :)

Finally found the bit about Personal Motorcycle Insurance not being included.

It's here: http://www.offroadskills.com/courses-2/level-1 in the How Much section:

"How much?

The two-day Level One Off Road Skills courses each cost £499. The price includes two days of group instruction, motorcycle hire, third party insurance, fuel, two lunches and one evening meal, refreshments and a certificate of completion. Please note: it does not include personal motorcycle or accident insurance, your accommodation and evening drinks, or any additional meals or drinks for your guests."

I suppose that as this is not the T and C section . . .

Liability clarified

Well, it was good to hear Linley Pavey confirm on Friday morning in front of the whole of the Stage 1 group that, provided we are adhering to the instructions from our trainers, we are not liable for damage to the bikes. She also had something to say about the source of the information I had received concerning liability, but that is now history.

Cheers

Richard

Back
Top Bottom