BMW Off Road Skills course

I'm booked in with a biker friend of mine, end of September 2017 Level 1.

Cant wait

Which group were you in for the course?

I thoroughly enjoyed it and am wondering how to convince my wife that I should go on L2F, L2 and then L3 so that I can go to Iceland . . .

Richard

The L2F is a good follow on from L1 more cone destroying but this time on an incline slope, I learned a lot and it was great fun :D

The L2F is a good follow on from L1 more cone destroying but this time on an incline slope, I learned a lot and it was great fun :D

My problem is that I am distinctly unfit and have little or no opportunity to practice between courses so each course is almost a brand new experience.

It was interesting to discover how much better the R1200GS LC resists tumbles than my R1200GSA OH. A <5mph drop onto Tarmac under 4" of mud resulted in a crushed rocker cover protector - seemingly made of chocolate - and a bent engine bar. Faster attacks of Welsh mud left no impression on the GS LC.

Cheers

Richard

In that case you might be better off booking the L1 and L2F back to back in a four day run at least that way you will increase you preparedness.

In that case you might be better off booking the L1 and L2F back to back in a four day run at least that way you will increase you preparedness.

Problem is one of funds: L1 cost me ~ £520 with boots and gloves hire, three nights B+B £195, 300 miles of diesel and a couple of evening meals. So, reckon on £850 for the course. Multiply that by four if I was to re-take L1 and that's a huge amount of cash :)

Also, I don't think I can repeatedly borrow my brother-in-law's motocross armour so that would have to be added to the mix.

. . . . .

Richard

I was booked onto the course "Level 1" in June this year.....just about to leave and some scumbag nicked my bike with all my gear! I phoned the BMW off road school to let them know and see if we could postpone my course for another time, "Sorry we can't help" is the answer I got. So the theft of my bike cost me £500.00 more top of the agro of my bike being nicked.

I got the bike back the following day "the power of Facebook, not the police" with only my panniers missing which eased the pain slightly.

But can't say much about the BMW ORS anther than "thanks for the help".

NOT IMPRESSED IS A UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just read this, did you speak with Simon? He and his wife ( apologies can't recall name) are very customer focused and I'd be surprised if they didn't look after you in some way. Remember there's a difference between Bmw and Simon Pavey's business.

Problem is one of funds: L1 cost me ~ £520 with boots and gloves hire, three nights B+B £195, 300 miles of diesel and a couple of evening meals. So, reckon on £850 for the course. Multiply that by four if I was to re-take L1 and that's a huge amount of cash :)

Also, I don't think I can repeatedly borrow my brother-in-law's motocross armour so that would have to be added to the mix.

. . . . .

Richard

300 miles of diesel ? If you are in the northwest you could look into using your bike and joining a ride with adventure workshop ( skygod?)

Just read this, did you speak with Simon? He and his wife ( apologies can't recall name) are very customer focused and I'd be surprised if they didn't look after you in some way. Remember there's a difference between Bmw and Simon Pavey's business.

Mrs Pavey is called Linley.

I agree that there appears to be a separation between the ORS course run by the Pavey's and BMW.

I did speak with Simon and wanted to assist, he said he would see what he could do, but couldn't promise anything....I did call him back and left a message but he never returned my call,

I then e-mailed the BMW off Road school and they did come back to me offering a day for £250.00 but was such short notice "2 days" I couldn't do it. "Someone must of dropped out....or had there bike stolen" and they thought they could make some more money!!!

Overall has left me with a real bitter taste and however good they are......bollocks to them!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

. . . . .

Richard

That's an expensive hobby. I bought an old XR250 for around a grand and get to go playing whenever I want. 5 hours on Saturday - cost me about 10 quid in fuel. You can do TRF events for about £20-25.

That's an expensive hobby. I bought an old XR250 for around a grand and get to go playing whenever I want. 5 hours on Saturday - cost me about 10 quid in fuel. You can do TRF events for about £20-25.

Indeed it is. But I guess that Devon is better provided for in the way of Green Lanes than Kent? I mean, it wouldn't take long to ride them all around here, would it?

Richard

Indeed it is. But I guess that Devon is better provided for in the way of Green Lanes than Kent? I mean, it wouldn't take long to ride them all around here, would it?

Richard

There are plenty enough lanes in Kent to make a very long day and still have some left to do. I've managed 130 mile days from Maidstone to Dover via Pilgrims Way / Chilham / Wye / Shadoxhurst etc etc and that's not considering North of Maidstone

Back
Top Bottom