2014 R1200RT LC Corrosion!!!

I might be able to offer a glimmer of hope...I had a similar problem on a 1200TT LC SE with my local dealership. On complaining BMW then (under warranty did a new engine casing, exhaust, differential etc etc). I was a bit sniffy as to why they had sold it like that and there reply was nothing gets done until the customer complains to BMW. Anyway I ended up with a rebuilt engine and shiny (2016) nike. Worth a go. PM for further details.

Well, here's an update for you. I did purchase another one, as I wanted quartz blue my dealer sourced a BMW employee bike, he knew the person it was leased to and the 6 month old bike had done 202 miles from new and had sat in the employees garage. It looked a peach until the following year the engine started to bubble in the usual places. BMW replaced the engine with no quibble, the bike had been ACF 50'd from collection and not ridden between November and April (I have a 22 year old R1100RT for that) Still got the RT and still very happy with the gadgets and performance, would just be happier if they sorted out the build quality rather than cutting corners and trying to squeeze every penny (or cent) out of it for profit.

I recently moved from a gsa ( MY16, TB) to an RT. I decided on the midnight blue exclusive version ( which Bmw are calling carbon black) having seen one on the website with silver crankcases and drive.
At ordering point I was told by my dealer (who is also a personal friend outside the biking circles)that the bike will come with black engines and drive. Questioning the difference between website/rest of world spec and UK, he informally said that Bmw Uk decided to drop silver engine paint due to the countless warranty claims on bubbling paint etc, and that for some reason the black ones are more hardwearing in that department...

I personally find it hard to believe, but I guess time will show.

Main reason being I bought an 1100RS as a second bike off of Gumtree, paid £1500 for it and spent that again on parts and sorting it though I have to say the finish on that bike even though it has covered 64,000 miles over it's 19 years is superb.

My observation as well. I used to have a 2003 R1150RT. I was the sixth owner, uncertain maintenance history, I ride all year but it had less corrosion and finish issues than the 10 year newer bike (2013 90th Anniversary Edition) I replaced it with. I suspect it is more about the quality of the metals used than the finishing paints but who knows for sure. BMW needs to sort it out.

I am a big believer in ACF 50. The corrosion on my current bike seems to be stable now. For mine it is mainly some paint bubbling on the frame under the seat. The previous bike was spotless.

Back
Top Bottom