R1200RS

busy builder

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Apparently, according to Harry Fairbairns in Inverness the RS is due in about 14th May.

Ordered one right after the NEC Bike Show to replace my 800GS. I'm hoping it will be delivered early June!

I got an early call today telling me "the boys are building your bike now - when do you want to collect it?"

So that'll be tomorrow then :)

Had been told long ago to expect a July delivery.

Absolutely none of my requested dealer-fit extras are available yet :mad:

First service already booked.

RS

Had a short ride on the RS today.

Wanted to really like it, looks good, good engine/ gearbox better than my WC GS.( no clunk into 1st)

But didn't like the seat, or the bars. Dash was very trick, and general quality looked good.

But really after 17 miles i had , had enough.

sticking with the GS, me.

Paddy.

Surprised to read Paddy's comments.
I owned an early GS LC (May 2013) and was impressed compared to oil cooled boxer. But latest RS with updated LC boxer is so much smoother and not prone to stalling at low revs (slow second gear stuff etc).

I think RS will steal sales from the GS as most people don't intend to ride to Bejing etc or take a shortcut across the yorkshire moors. I want a road focused bike with the boxer engine. The RS Sport SE is comfortable (I am 6ft) and so far while running it in has the makings of a great bike for quick day rides and longer rides to European destinations etc.
My criticisms so far:
1. Navigator position too low - no immediate solution to that one.
2. Panniers rather small and flimsy (My GS panniers saved the indicators and exhaust when I dropped it in the drive). Hopefully not to be repeated.
3. Lot more input required to turn compared to GS - a matter of getting used to it, but it confirms what a great all rounder the GS is.

Looking forward to other owner's comments.

I to wanted to love the RS but hated it.

The 2 biggest problems for me was the riding position and how it felt in the hairpins.

in the end I bought a R1200r LC, which still makes my smile. :bounce1

RS

Yes thats it Swiss.

Riding position just feels wrong, compared to a GS. Could not get on with the seat felt too high.in the middle.

I think in wet weather the RS will be a damp squip, no real protection at the back end.

Oh yeah Fork dive on the RS noticeable due to lack of teleleaver.

Anyway each to there own.

I too took out the RS & as others have said I really wanted to like it. But found it was very ponderous at low speed especially riding down narrow country roads & had an annoying habit of wanting to tip in too much when cornering especially around town. The foot pegs were catching the inside of my legs when coming to a halt & putting my feet down. Out on the open faster main roads it handled really well.

Took a R1200R LC out 2 weeks ago and what a difference, I like it, as in really liked it. Handling was much better, riding position felt really good. cornering much more neutral (it did have different tyres to the RS, so maybe that improved things).

Forgive my ignorance but aren't the RS and the R the same bike except for the fairing ? If so , how come there are these apparent differences in feel ?

Forgive my ignorance but aren't the RS and the R the same bike except for the fairing ? If so , how come there are these apparent differences in feel ?

The RS has a longer wheel base, the forks are at a different angle, the handle bars also have a different angle.
Plus the extra weight of the fairing.
From the fuel tank back they are both the same.

Had a Yamaha FZ1n followed by the FZ1S half faired version, almost identical to look at except for the fairing but latter was much more stable and felt better planted.

I enjoyed a 340 mile jaunt on my RS yesterday on some of Scotland's best roads. First ride with my new High seat and high screen. Both did an excellent job. Hot grips. Cruise control. Hugger. Fender extender. Crud catcher. Fast enough for me. Corners well enough for me. When I raise the GPS a few inches with simple extension brackets it will all be sorted. What's not to like!

Had a 105 mile test ride today on an RS with the wife as pillion, in some ways it's better than my GS! The engine was very quiet, the quick shifter was much easier to use requiring very little pressure unlike my GS. It felt very planted on a motorway section we did in excess of the speed limit. It felt faster than my GS?

But I didn't like the riding position, my wife says the GS is more comfortable and that sat-nav position!

So it's not for me, but it is a good bike and will suit people who like sports bikes or sports tourers! I preferred the R, but again not as good as my GS overall!

Test ride now booked on the XR at the end of the month, now that might be something special.........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:agree I rode one a couple of weeks ago. Looks and sounds brilliant IMO, but my wrists were saying no after only a few miles. After Riding an Explorer first and experiencing the 1200 LC engine on the RS I was then gagging to have a go on a GS. Did that last weekend and rode another Explorer back to back with the GS and of the 3 the GS was my favourite

Whilst my RT went in for its first service, I was given a RS.
Beautiful looking machine.
For me, I was leaning forward too much and wouldn't fancy going any long distance on it, much preferring the RT upright position.
The engine and gearbox were excellent. Screen seemed a bit small and I can see what people are saying about the satnav mount.
Overall a very nice machine that could well improve in the next year or two with minor tweaks.

Whilst my RT went in for its first service, I was given a RS.
Beautiful looking machine.
For me, I was leaning forward too much and wouldn't fancy going any long distance on it, much preferring the RT upright position.
The engine and gearbox were excellent. Screen seemed a bit small and I can see what people are saying about the satnav mount.
Overall a very nice machine that could well improve in the next year or two with minor tweaks.

The minor tweaks that have made mine almost perfect - at least perfect for my shape and size - are primarily a taller screen, the highest seat and a very simple GPS extension bracket.

Just completed 1,750 miles on Germany trip. Great bike.

Back
Top Bottom