For ALL Pre-loaded cards / debit cards / credit cards - What is best for travel?

47steve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
How do you pay for items ie; fuel , b&b costs when travelling through Europe apart from cash?
If I use my debit card I will get a crap rate so can anyone recommend how they pay? .... thanks

Search Caxton FX on Google.

Apply for card.

If you prefer credit to debit then Post Office Platinum Card.

Bob's your Dads brother.

+1 Post office card.. Very good :thumb

We use Mastercard and pay it in full when the statement arrives

Saga or Halifax clarity credit cards have no additional loading for overseas transactions. Use one of them plus a Caxton card and you're sorted.

I used a post office travel money card on a 20 country tour of europe, you front load it before you leave, two of us put £300 each on it and used it for fuel fuel food and booking hotels in dodgy internet cafes rather than put your credit card details into an unknown pc. The card is a mastercard which you can top up with the iphone app, you can also cancel it with the app if you lose it.
worked great for us.
Matt

Halifax Clarity card.... Free to use abroad and nearly as good as it gets exchange rate. Half decent service too from the Halifax team.

Withdrawing cash costs (a lot) though so I just use my debit card to withdraw as much as much as the ATM will let me. That way I only incur a few small charges.

Assuming it's euros, next time the rate crashes ( next ECB quant easing), top up a euro prepay card.

What and how is the rate you get determined.?

I know that with the Halifax Clarity card and now with the Santander 123 Credit card (but only if you are a select customer) the rate you get is the daily MasterCard Exchange rate which today is 1.379679 without any additional foreign currency transaction charges.

https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/

I also use FairFx prepayment card for Foreign travels. They have a very good exchange rate when pre-loading up and do not make any further charges when used as a debit card, but as it is a prepayment card you can only use it up to the amount of credit you have on the account. But it is easy enough to top up even from abroad on line. They do make a €1.50 charge for cash withdrawals at an ATM machine when abroad. But I find that as I only withdraw when I need a reasonable amount their rates still beat the competitors the way I use it. FairFx rate today is 1.3711

https://www.fairfx.com

But as others have said there are others that might be more convenient, easier to use or just suit you slightly better. But with the right sort of Credit Card without additional charges (especially for Fuel at automated petrol stations in France), and a pre-pay currency card, travelling abroad is a doodle these days........

Good luck ;)

I used a post office travel money card on a 20 country tour of europe, you front load it before you leave, two of us put £300 each on it and used it for fuel fuel food and booking hotels in dodgy internet cafes rather than put your credit card details into an unknown pc. The card is a mastercard which you can top up with the iphone app, you can also cancel it with the app if you lose it.
worked great for us.
Matt

Exactly the same as a Caxton FX card - I have both as well as the Post Office Platinum Credit Card. No charges for foreign transactions.

I use a Nationwide visa card. There are no charges when used in Europe, and you get that days bulk rate thingy so its a win/win situation.

Prior to the Santander 123 card, Santander had the Zero card. That charged no foreign transaction fees. They've been trying to phase the zero card out, but anyone luckily enough still to have one should hang onto it.
For current best cards to use have a look at "moneysavingexpert" http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money

Prior to the Santander 123 card, Santander had the Zero card. That charged no foreign transaction fees. They've been trying to phase the zero card out, but anyone luckily enough still to have one should hang onto it.
For current best cards to use have a look at "moneysavingexpert" http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money

I have a Zero card - binned Santander for everything else. I front load my Zero card and use it as a cashpoint card as there are no fees at all and as it is in credit, no interest to pay for being in debit.

I then use a Post Office Mastercard for purchases, again no fees.

Cheapest way to get hold of currency or make purchases.

Saga or Halifax clarity credit cards have no additional loading for overseas transactions. Use one of them plus a Caxton card and you're sorted.

Wot he says...SAGA have been very good.....Post Office and Halifax wouldn't give me one for reasons I never established....(thats a whole different story), but SAGA did nae bother.

I take cash and use credit cards for hotels - if I am defrauded on a credit card then the card company is liable to refund me - can't be arsed with pre-loading weird cards and stuff :)

I usually take cash :eek:

Buy a grands worth of Euro's when the rate is very good .... I always use small family run hotels when abroad and cash gets a warmer smile :D

:beerjug:

What pre-loaded cash travel card to use ?

I recently returned from a trip to France & took a post Office pre-loaded travel card, this worked well for cafes/bars & manned fuel stops. but was rejected by toll peages, & unmanned 24 hr petrol stations, can anyone recommend a similar style card that works, I am doing the Route Napoleon in a few weeks time & don't want a debit or credit card ?

Back
Top Bottom