R80 mono swing arm bearing race removal

gog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Afternoon all - im currently replacing the swing arm bearings and dont have access to a welder to do the recommended trick for easy removal. Seen a puller available in US (cycleworks) but advertised as up to 84 only (ie not mono), and even if i could get one shipping cost and wait time from US isnt ideal.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get the old races out? I dont want to damage the surrounding area by trying to lever it out, and if its like everything else on this old neglected bike, it will put up a fight.

I paid my local engineers £30 too get em out for me ,they are an utter twat too do without the right kit matey

bought one of these:
cbc07d04ebc07e6c23aa95d1c40c392e.jpg

should hopefully do the job, bottom of the legs may need grinding so they can get below the lip though. watch this space :D

I also but the bullet and bought a decent mapp torch. everything job I look at has at least one seized fastener.

i have one of those. i'm not sure it's ever got anything out :(

i reckon you need one of those expanding, segmented pullers on a slide hammer.

th4134191653209580300.jpg

ah balls. it was a toss up between the one i bought, and exactly what you suggested above. the diameter of the back hole of the race is 32mm so any lip would need to be slightly more than that. the segments on those slide types i saw were 32mm max so i decided to go with the other thing. bit gutted if you say it doesnt work. what is the problem with it?

it might work. TBH i've not attempted the job you are talking about.

the problem with the tool you (and i) have is, that the bit that grips behind the bearing is a long way from the cone that forces the legs out. when you apply pulling force to it, IME the legs bend and grip is lost.

i have a sykes-pickavant expanding type, which seems to me would be the tool to use, but i don't think it expands big enough. i assumed other, larger attachments would be available.

hm yes i can see where they could bend, the legs do look a little spindly. ill give it a try anyway. if it works even for this one job ill be happy with the cost, it was only £15.

If it doesnt, ill buy one of those slide sets. they are only £16.50 and as the widest is 32mm i may get away with it. the hole is 31.5mm so if the set goes even 1mm wider than its stated limit it could work. ive never used a slide hammer for anything but i can see where they would be useful.

I did look at them Rob, but its advertised as suitable only for models up to 1984:

http://www.cycleworks.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28_2_16&products_id=57

Unless they have another version of the tool for later bikes (I couldnt see one), Im not sure it will work as mine is an 86 mono.

Is this the version you have, and have you used it on a mono?

*edit* their site says specifically not mono. did the dual shock swingarms use different size bearings?

The later swinging arm bearings were one piece. You have to break the centre section out with a screwdriver. The tool then works on the outer race. I've used mine on paralevers without any problems.

That makes sense. The old bearings are out, as you said levered with a screwdriver. Was surprised at the state of the old ones, chips out of the rollers and one was almost disintegrated. Thankfully, I think the steering ones were done recently as both bearings and races are in excellent nick.

If the tool I have bought fails to get the races out, Ill bite the bullet and import the cycleworks kit.

I almost went for the cycle works but I was keen too get it done hence why I paid £30 too get em out,a bloody menace same as the head race.
Mine were also totally shot Gordon, along with every other bearing on the bloody thing! allegedly the guy I got it from was riding a few month before I bought the bike,how he stayed in a straight line is a mystery utter death trap lol

You can fit the earlier bearings as long as you fit the spacers to make up the difference. The earlier bearings are much cheaper and can at least be greased on a regular basis. They also have separate seals.

least it's done now chris - all the work will be worth it in the end!

Rob I bought a kit from eBay made by all-balls which was sold as correct for my model. they do have separate seals. look well made and correct size.

Rob I bought a kit from eBay made by all-balls which was sold as correct for my model. they do have separate seals. look well made and correct size.

Which appears to be utter shite. The inner race doesnt have the protruding length required, so a spacer is needed. Now i have no idea what spacer to get or where to find it...

Back
Top Bottom