2015 GS Trophy UK Qualifier - Who's going?

Pacific

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've entered, should be a laugh.

Who else is going?

:beerjug:

I've been invited to join my local dealership's team, I politely declined :augie

Actually looks like a bit of fun :beer: I am rather tempted having read the bumf. Why did you decline if I may ask ?

Actually looks like a bit of fun :beer: I am rather tempted having read the bumf. Why did you decline if I may ask ?

Only 3 days before Dent event, for me..................so didn't want to risk an injury and I'll be busy getting ready for that

I wouldn't mind a crack in 2015, maybe..........................but easy to injure yourself on a 200+kg bike, offroad - so like Steve says, you have to face the facts

Plus it's not normal offroading, there's some manmade obstacles like Trials and easy to get that wrong and come a purler - I wouldn't want a F800GS coming down on me:eek:

Not worth the risk and putting yourself out for the summer, or worse

70kg Trials bike is fine for me, thanks

I gave up off reading years ago after painfully realising I no longer crashed as well as I did when I was younger, the older I get the faster I was..........:rob

I did it last year - it's a great event and the risk of injury is minimal. Mostly on road riding with a little bit of offroad stuff on BMW's bikes.

I can't make this year but I will be back for next year. Enjoy - it's a great weekend:thumby:

I'm going

Should be a bit of craic if nothing else. I've got a mate who did it last year and he talked me into it with him. We're riding over from Northern Ireland to compete so shouldn't be hard to spot.

He says its the best weekends biking of the year.

Dealer nonsense

By the way, we asked our one and only dealer if they would be interested in a team entry as we were already 2/3 of it.

They politely declined!!

I'm not entering but I might go down and have a watch. Anybody know the exact location ?

I can find my way to Ystradgynlais easy enough but is there a time table or venues ?

I think there is some arena based stuff going on Sunday or Monday which sounds like the best day to go

Might camp out the night before as its BH weekend

Joining Instructions

Here are the full joining instruction:

Welcome to GS Trophy UK 2015

FINAL INSTRUCTIONS

Dates
23rd – 25th May 2015

The GS Trophy UK 2015 will be based at the Ancient Briton, Brecon Road, Penycae, Swansea, Wales, UK SA9 1YY. There is camping available; more details can be found on their website www.ancientbriton.co.uk. Please refrain from driving on the grass wherever possible at the Ancient Briton.

Saturday 23rd May

Sign on will be in the main marquee at the Ancient Briton from 16:00hrs – 18:00hrs for riders entered as part of a retailer team, and from 18:00hrs – 20:00hrs for individual participants. You will need the following at sign on:

• Both original parts of your UK Driving Licence - plastic and paper
• A current British Passport
• A V5 document proving ownership of a BMW Motorcycle
• An insurance cover note for the BMW Motorcycle

Sunday 24th May

There will be a rider briefing at 08:00hrs on Sunday morning in the main marquee. The first rider will start at 09:00hrs and riders will leave in 30-second intervals, in the order displayed at signing-on. You will be advised of your exact start time at sign on, please arrive promptly at the start gate, ready to go so you can leave on time. Teams will be able to leave together as a group. Route cards and scorecards will be issued at the start – there are four different routes, covering the same roads and challenges but in different orders to maintain the navigation element of the event. The route cards follow a road book format, so you will need a working trip meter on your bike – the standard one on the instruments will be fine. Around the route you will need to answer several questions, filling in the answers as you go on your scorecard.

In addition to the road ride, there are three skill challenge stations and three off road riding challenge stations. At each skill challenge station there will be multiple challenges; you will need to pick one challenge, all are of equivalent difficulty and are worth the same points. Members of a team should do different challenges at each station. The hubs will operate a token system – if the token is there for the challenge you want to do, you can take the token and head to the challenge. If the token is not there you have a choice – wait for a token to be returned or choose a different challenge that is available. After you have completed your challenge you must return the token to the hub.
The off road challenges will be split into three hubs; you must complete at least one challenge at each hub and then two further challenges at the hub (or hubs) of your choice, totalling five challenges. The off road riding challenges will be held at Walters Arena motorsport complex. Please ride carefully and considerately up to the challenge centre as there may be pedestrians on the access road. You MAY NOT ride your own bike within the Walters Arena private property other than on the tarmac roads to access each hub as directed.

The day’s riding will end by 18:30hrs for the last riders, results and finalists will be announced at 21:00hrs. There will be food provided for all competitors, we’ll be having interviews and showing adventure films in the marquee and both indoor and outdoor bars will be open. Charley Boorman will be taking part in the event for fun and will be in the marquee in the evening.

Monday 25th May
The top 50 competitors will be selected to go through to the Finals on Monday; there will be a briefing at 08:00hrs in the main marquee and the finals will be held from 09:00hrs on Walters Arena. The morning’s challenges will narrow the field down to 10 riders for the Super Final, which will be held back at the Ancient Briton from 13:15. The Super Final will finish at 14:45 and will be followed by the final prize giving and presentation for all competitors and the British team for GS Trophy International 2016 will be announced. We would encourage all participants who do not make the Final to stay for the Monday and spectate – you may still have a prize from Sunday and the Final will be far too exciting an event to miss!

I am entered...as part of the Park Lane BMW team (they have 4 teams I believe).

We should be recognisable as we are the ones roughing it in the Marriot in Swansea :D

I'm camping at the venue, weather looking good at the moment.

We went and it was pretty good although for a BMW sponsored event the organisation wasn't great for spectators.

It's way better if you are competing than spectating, but what we did see on the Sunday afternoon was pretty impressive.

Considering you have bikes on the wrong side of 200kg they were proper throwing them about. There was some great handling and skills from the competitors. My hat is off to them.

Half of me wanted to cry seeing they abuse the bikes were getting. But then that's what they were built for.

Loads of people said I should enter next year and for £99 it looks like a proper hoot. But as I am not getting any younger I think it might be just a bit beyond me. There was a chap there looked about my age, made the final 10 but he was proper wasted by the end of the day. If the big 'G' went over on me just once I'd be wasted getting her back vertical.

We ran into Charlie Boorman and Simon Pavey who both seemed thoroughly nice chaps.

Well done to the 3 qualifiers. Hope they have fun wherever they end up as its not announced yet.

PS: We had a very nice breakfast at The Junction Cafe. Min Yr Afon Roundabout Glan Yr Afon Ystalyfera Swansea Neath Port Talbot. SA9 2EX

Do it. I had a hoot and not just with the Walters arena stuff. Much better to enter as a team or at least go around as a team. Really enjoyed the treasure hunt aspect and some awesome little roads in the Beacons! Came 98th out of 240 odd so top half. Ok for a near 50 noob. So just go for it.

Back
Top Bottom