Scotland's Route66.

2008 was the last of the Tolls in Scotland and correct regarding Skye in 2004 :thumb2
JF Munro was a big campaigner against the Island tax, “toll” along with civil disobedience that overwhelmed the courts.
He co-sponsored (along with the SNP’s Michael Russell) a bill to secure the Gaelic language's status as being equal to English.

He had a Mercedes 190e that he bought new with a deal that if it went round the clock Mercedes would replace it with a new car.
It went round the clock but he asked for it to be resprayed and new seats instead as he wanted to keep it.
I took all the glass out and refitted after the paint job at Murchisons garage in Kyle.
He wrote if off a few months later :(

And the number of said Merc....

JF DID

I knew him well....in fact I knew his mother and father better! I still have some shooting stockings that his mother, Jean, knitted for me thirty odd years ago. Jean and Duncan Stoddart only spoke Gaelic to each other at home. JF was born slightly before they married:eek: so JF took Jeans maiden name..Munro.

I remember one night after many drams, Duncan was leading off about hikers and ramblers, as was his wont, and said that if he had his way he would bulldoze all the Munros flat, at which point Jean muttered sotto voce, 'well, you were quick enough to climb over this one Duncan'

2 weeks ago I rode to Banff in fantastic sunshine. It was so good that I took my good lady back up there for her birthday treat yesterday - unfortunately on 4 wheels this time.

The sun shone. The roads were fantastic. Traffic was minimal. Absolutely fan-fuckin-tastic both times.

Trundling the infamous 500 can be good, but so are lots of other roads.

On Sunday I got up early and scooted up to Loch Awe via Tyndrum and had a blast before the tourists had got out of bed.

It’s all good up here.

ps - I find it scary seeing 10 or 12 bikes trundling along in convoy. Struggling to keep up.
Scary follow-through overtakes. And generally getting in a pickle.

Dalmally to Tyndrum - got to be one of the best biking roads in Scotland......

It used to be such a nice run, now it is more a moving chicane road.
Feck it even has the polis on it, that was as a rare as rocking horse shit in the past.
I'm sure the local hotels are doing well out of it and it brings in good money to local communities, but the remoteness aspect is now gone.
Still worth getting in there before it becomes just too busy.

It used to be such a nice run, now it is more a moving chicane road.
Feck it even has the polis on it, that was as a rare as rocking horse shit in the past.
I'm sure the local hotels are doing well out of it and it brings in good money to local communities, but the remoteness aspect is now gone.
Still worth getting in there before it becomes just too busy.

Time of year is key, I certainly stay away July August.

Hmm.. I prefer the roads in the borders, dumfries n galloway an south west scotland..much less busy n cracking scenery too :)

No - they’re shite........ all of them. :rob

Everyone is best heading up the M74 and straight to Tyndrum.

Al :augie

I did the west coast side of it about 10 years ago (From Skye to Scourie) but I don't thing the term NC500 even existed then, I just took out the map plotted the route I wanted to take. It was a lovely day's riding!

Back
Top Bottom