Transalpina

Kintessack GSr

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have just been informed by a friend in Romania that the transalpina road is closed for road works and is to remain closed for the summer:eek:
Anyone out there just now and been up there? Can it be crossed with the road works or are we going to have to find another route?
Going out there in July and want to ride that road.

And I was maybe going to head that way late August early September so if you find out please let us know :thumb2

Technically closed - but actually fully drivable as per my earlier post

Transalpina - this is officially closed as still work in progress!!! But is open to drive at own risk and according to the TA forum cleared of snow. http://www.transalpina.biz/phpBB3/vi...0a23da82#p2894

The link only works if you strip out the part starting /php... We are hoping to go there in August so will be following developments.

John

This would appear to indicate the road is closed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JabZHzUVYqU#t=81

Aidan1150 & I were there almost a year ago & the weather was minging, could hardly see the hand in front of your face
There was a lot of work going on & there were half hearted barriers across some of it but you could certainly get a bike through

P1010187.jpg

But the best bet is to ask here - http://www.transalpina.biz/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2&start=1860
Alin, the Admin, has good English & will give you the latest info

Cracking road if the weather is ok. Go over it & come back over the Transfagarasan :bounce1

Looking good.
Great info, thank's everyone :thumb2

My wife and I rode it in June, must say very disapointing as was the Transfagarasan highway. Almost all the Transalpina is proper road, one section about 5 miles long is brand new and has yellow lines and proper crash barriers. At the end there is about 30 feet of rough road. All along there are bits of road missing and stretches of gravel but nothing like I was expecting. Some nice views but saw much better in other areas. Saw no other bikes and wondered if we were on the right road, just a few hand made signs pointing the way past a few gift shops at a lake.

I have just been informed by a friend in Romania that the transalpina road is closed for road works and is to remain closed for the summer:eek:
Anyone out there just now and been up there? Can it be crossed with the road works or are we going to have to find another route?
Going out there in July and want to ride that road.

Did you ride it last July? If so did you enjoy it? I'm heading there in August and intend doing it south to north.

We rode it last August, along with the Transfagarasan. Interesting experience is I think the best way to sum it up. The Romanians like to hype theses roads up but in reality there are better roads all over Europe. The Transalpina especially was typical of many roads in Romania, they go from good surface to absolutely awful mid corner. There were several unmade sections, one with a market set up not so much beside the road as on it. The stalls( including metal awnings that would take your head off) had to be negotiated at walking pace. Some of the better surfaced sections were very steep uphill hairpins, no fun at all on two up on a fully loaded GS.

Travelling all the way from Scotland simply to ride an inferior road makes no sense at all to me, especially as you will bypass so many wonderful biking roads to get there. I thoroughly recommend going to Romania though, we enjoyed the experience a lot. Go to see a country in transition, were the old ways are still evident. We found the towns and cities very welcoming and they have the best WiFi in Europe. Meet the people see the sights, just watch out for those roads!

Here is a link to my blog of our holiday.

John

Thanks for the feedback! I'm only going to Romania because it's there and I've got 4 days between the Austrian motogp and the Czech one! I've got RdGA; all roads around Andermatt (went there last year); silvretastrasse; timmelsjoch; grossglockner; gerlos pass; nockalm / Malta to visit en route. Romania will be part of a large anti-clockwise tour between motogp venues. That's the plan anyway and if it all works great and if I run out of time no matter it'll still be great! The longest day will be the 654 miles from home to the channel.
Thanks again. :beerjug:

Will it be open in the summer? Probably. Things here are a little unpredictable. If it's closed there are alternatives; not quite as spectacular but still very enjoyable. If Timișoara's on your route there's free accommodation....

Will it be open in the summer? Probably. Things here are a little unpredictable. If it's closed there are alternatives; not quite as spectacular but still very enjoyable. If Timișoara's on your route there's free accommodation....

Thanks very much for the kind offer. I'll let you know nearer the time when I'm be in your area. Probably the 15th or 16th August.

Looking forward to your ride report & photo's :D

Did Oldmeldrum to Dover in 12.5 hours on my GSA a few years ago, no problem.
Planning Romania myself in July 2017.

It was open on both the 31st May and the 1st of June when I went over from each direction. Big concrete blocks in the way but the ones on the southern side said open from 1st June. Just ride around them :D

I didn't see any 'major' road works but there were ploughs up there getting rid of snow from the sides of the road because heavy rain takes it across the road meaning you have to ride through slush and chunks of frozen snow.

The Transfagarasen was shut when I was there but may be open by the middle of the month according to locals. If you've got good off road tyres the Vulcan Pass is good but I shit out halfway up because of being on knackered Conti Trail Attacks :blast

I stopped in Sebes which is very handy for the Transalpina and not a bad place overall.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm only going to Romania because it's there and I've got 4 days between the Austrian motogp and the Czech one! I've got RdGA; all roads around Andermatt (went there last year); silvretastrasse; timmelsjoch; grossglockner; gerlos pass; nockalm / Malta to visit en route. Romania will be part of a large anti-clockwise tour between motogp venues. That's the plan anyway and if it all works great and if I run out of time no matter it'll still be great! The longest day will be the 654 miles from home to the channel.
Thanks again. :beerjug:

If you want to borrow them I can bring all the maps you'll need to the Austrian MotoGP and hand them over plus drink beers one of the days :beerjug:

202ab378265780558882f65ad6396a1c.jpg

0b75d69fa1ead60c468a1f34aab264a0.jpg

The top photo is the northern end, the bottom one the southern end taken 1st June.

I rode it 4 weeks ago, think it had just reopened.
Very good although we rode on a Saturday and it was very busy with cars so we struggled on the winding hairpin sections to find enough spaces to pass without us all getting split up (plus on hire bikes of GS700s that ran out of grunt quite quickly). It was a lovely road with some good variety, but to be honest for my tastes the section near the highest point where it was hairpin after hairpin with lots of cars wasn't as enjoyable as the rest. The descending side was less busy and great fun - managed to touch a pannier down which was a first for me....

Transfagarrasaaann (I never know when to stop spelling that) was still closed, but we did a good chunk of it and being able to ride it back was also excellent. Very windy though, to the point that one of our party of three lost helmet and gloves over a cliff at a point where he'd stopped for piddle!!

Back
Top Bottom