Travel insurance

mpgscott

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Not a bike question but my son is doing a Rust to Rome event next month and i want to get them breakdown cover, they are running a 1991 Volvo 940 i think and all the cover from normal companies is coming in at like £250 so on looking on various forums i have seen mention of ADAC in Germany who will cover the person not the vehicle. So wanted to see if this would cover him, i was thinking of swapping the family over from our current GEM to this ADAC for only 132euro a year to cover me the missus and the wee fella.

I tried to register online but it only has for German address so how do i go about registering with them?

Their cover seems good and it uses the AA in the uk, so whats the thoughts on them

Cheers
Mark

I might be wrong , but I believe you can only join if you have a german address. no way round it.

We have cover with them mainly for our motorhome, but we are both covered on any vehicle, forget online just call them tmos and ask to speak to an English speaker.
John.

I'm also with them and have been about 3 or 4 years. Am away in Paris this week, but will try and remember to PM you the contact details I have, as with Paintman they are okay over the telephone or email. Not had to call them out (they use the AA in the UK as their agents) but the cover is good, also includes medical repatriation.

Just ring +49 800 5 10 11 12 & ask for an English speaking rep. He / she will enrol you over the phone , only takes a few minutes . Membership card takes about a week to come through although you become a member immediately . I joined a few weeks ago when my car insurer refused to cover my 11 year old car for continental breakdowns . ADAC Plus costs about 88 Euro & covers both bikes & cars .

All documentation is in German but English translations can be had on the internet .

Cheers

Harry

'Sprechen zie english bitte' are the magic words...they will immediately transfer you to an attractive(sounding) fraulein who will take all your details and join you up.... Piece of cake. The other attraction apparently is that they run a fleet of ambulance planes etc to repatriate you when you are languishing in a forrin hospital... The UK equivalent...the AA....get right shitty because ADAC is far cheaper, and if you break down in the UK and call ADAC,.....they send the AA....

Repeating what has been said above really.....but in a more entertaining way?

As above.
When I had my 20 year old 1100 I could only get European breakdown cover 'up to the value of the bike' from UK based companies (like the AA). This would easily be exceeded if it had to be recovered from anywhere over the channel.

I joined ADAC who don't have any such restriction and by all accounts offer an excellent service (although I never had to use them).

No need for a German address as someone else said - signup was straightforward over the phone.

Can somone check the phone number for me? I have tried +49 800 5 10 11 12 but its not going through?

ADAC

I would strongly advise reading a translated version of the t&cs, repatriation is expensive and usually only done if repair can't be done, this timescale and any value related clauses are something not to be taken for granted,
There was and may still be a 200 euro limit for towing or repairs, that doesn't get you far, And used to be pay and claim for anything beyond a roadside attendance,
ADAC are a partner of ARC Transistence in germany, AA are the equivalent partner in the uk, ANWB in belgium and so on,
the service by partner organisations for customers travelling abroad do have cost and other limits,
Make sure the home country germany will allow you to be repatriated to the uk,, has anyone done this?? or had recovery/repairs done,
it may or not be a problem but best to be sure before needing assistance,
Roamer,

Saw on another forum where a caravanner had his whole rig repatriated when his car became terminally sick.
The only negative I have come across is where a UK member had three call outs for punctures inside 12 months in the UK. They restricted his membership to Germany only, and were difficult about refunding his membership when he left as a result.

Someone on a caravanning forum phoned ADAC about his membership.
They were told that when the UK leaves the EU UK members will not be able to renew their membership.
Brexit - the gift that keeps on giving.

Time to revive this sticky with current Travel Insurance recommendations, especially if you have medical conditions like me.

My usual insurer is Get Going who provide a range of policies with different levels of cover. Even their basic policy covers using a motorcycle for transport as long as rider and any pillion are wearing a helmet. They have a good screening tool for medical conditions on the website and do not charge any extra for many conditions. There is also the option to add one of 5 Activity Packs if you are riding off road, caving, knitting etc. https://www.getgoinginsurance.co.uk/

Just to check their premiums are not too high, I gave http://www.confused.com/ a try. This has a decent online medical screening tool now and pointed me towards another company called Puffin Insurance at very good prices. Policy wording looked familiar with the same Activity Packs as Get Going. 9 days cover to Europe exc. Spain £8.28, annual £21.43 for the lowest level cover, which is adequate for me as it is only the £10 million medical cover I am interested in.

It transpires, both of these companies use the same German underwriter Union Reiseversicherung AG which has all the necessary UK regstration.

If you have any more recommendations then list below and hopefully (wishful thinking), this will be the only travel insurance thread needed this year...

Back
Top Bottom