Azerbaijan September

GrantR

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum or if it should the Russia one but here goes.

I've been working in Baku for the last 3 years after moving up here from Oman. When I left Oman the plan was ride my KTM 990 Adv up to Azerbaizan via Iran but circumstances (job, weather and then a broken leg) kind of fucked that plan up.
I shipped the KTM back to the UK so now planning to ride it to Baku in September hopefully. I work here for 6 weeks then have 2 weeks leave so would ride it out during my leave. My plan is to go the Turkey-Georgia route which I reckon is a tad over 3000 miles.

Does anyone have any tips or hints that I should follow? Also has anyone ridden into Azerbaijan and what were the costs at the border? I hear all sorts of horror stories about having to pay taxes and unbelievably, nobody here can give me much info.

I came the other way from Turkmenistan on the shit hole of a boat into Baku where we got stung for everything including $10 to get out of the port over a small bridge...the officials were erm officious! twats.

I left Baku around midnight after losing the others in traffic, rode through the night and into the next afternoon stopping somewhere west of Tablisi ..... but not before I was almost shagged by a Azebaijani omelette maker ....twat.....anyway what that mean is, you could at a push ride from the Turkish border across, Georgia and across Azerbaijan to Baku in two days but you'd be better off going deeper into the Carpathian mountains.

Georgia was lovely by comparison and could have spent longer there.

Good luck I think Azerbaijan was the least remarkable country I've ever been through ..... unless you fancy being shagged by a fat bloke!!!:D

Aye.....that sounds about right for Baku....they either want to steal your money or fuck you.....and in some of the bars they will do both at the same time! Leaving at night was probably the safest thing to do....the traffic during the day is pretty horrendous!

Georgia is beautiful....and such nice people as well....we have an office there that I visit.....if I had the bike here then I could combine the business visits with a bit of pleasure.

Hi,

I've been living in Baku as an expat working for the main foreign oil operator out here since 2005. I've been riding mainly off-road on a ktm400,, and also have my kids riding off-road out here.

I can't argue with anything written above, but can highly recommend the off-road experiences.

I've got a GS1200 back in blights and if I get extended out here -which is highly likely - then I am considering riding it out.

If you're staying in Baku and want to ride out or meet other bikers drop me a private mail with your Baku contact details on.

Back
Top Bottom