Possible Summer Trip

Deleted account 210609001

Reaction score
I have never ventured into this section before. Please be gentle... :D

The lovely Jo wants to go to Scandinavia on a bike trip. I've always quite fancied the idea. A limiting factor my be the amount of time spent on the bike each day - for health reasons I won't go into, Jo can really only manage comfortably four hours a day actual riding.

So, initial outline plan is
  • Three days' fairly direct ride from Calais to Copenhagen, then a day or two to enjoy the city.
  • Couple of days riding the pretty way to Stockholm, then a couple of days there.
  • Three or four days to ride to Bergen via Oslo, perhaps stopping off in Oslo for a day.
  • Four days to ride home again, perhaps around the southern coast of Norway.

No ferries, no camping.

Questions:

• Would I be missing any "must see" places?
  • Are there better places to see than the capitals?
  • Any more interestign routes in Sweden or Norway
  • What weather can I expect in mid-to-late July?
  • Anything else I should consider as I begin more serious contemplation/planning?

What about: Ferry to Esbjerg - across to Copenhagen via Roskilde for the ship museum - across the bridge to Malmo or ferry to Helsingborg (Hamlet's Elsinore) - wander north to Oslo (via Gothenburg?) - follow coast to Kristiansund - ferry to Hirtshals and back to Esbjerg via the Tollund man. That leaves Stockholm out but it would be a good leisurely trip. Calais to Copenhagen is a bit of a dull trek IMHO.

Stockholm ...go see the Vasa:thumb2

Hardanger Plateau en route to Bergen:thumb2

Nice memorial at Vemork to the raid on the hard water factory by the Norwegians and British Commandos (heroes of Telemark):thumb2

Hard ride over the plateau and probably a tad of snow in the distance but road should be fine.

Time your ferris right down the fjords or you could be hanging around ... Great countries and great people:beerjug:

(On the wife's iPad and don't know how to link addresses)

Expect ferries in Norway. :)
As an ex-pat Swede, I have to say that I recommend Norway over Sweden for bikers. Much twistier roads and with exciting landscape. No need to plan, just go and enjoy any roads. Yes, it is more expensive. But stay in camping huts and cook your own food to keep the cost down.

Must recommend Nordsjøveien (route 44) south of Stavanger. Narrow twisty road with fantastic views. Just watch out for foreign tourists in campervans coming round the corner.

- Sven

I know you said no ferries, but with the limited riding time you have I will still advice you to skip Stockholm. Fly there some time, the road from Copenhagen to Stockholm to Oslo is just boring even if you take the secondary roads.

Take the ferry from Copenhagen to Oslo. Your next stop could be Geilo, then Bergen. From Bergen, go South, but a bit inland. Visit Preikestolen if you can manage a short hike. Take the tourist ferry to Lysebotn. Hike to Kjeragbolten if you can (4h roundtrip). Suleskarvegen from there. If you have time, go North and through Telemark, then back in the mountains. (The coast North of Arendal is not worth visiting. The coast between Arendal and Kristiansand is nice, but it can be hard to find accomodation.) Or go straight South to Kristiansand, catch ferry for Denmark. This route will give you "everything": Great riding, spectacular scenery, the big cities, seaside and mountains. And not too long riding distances.

PS The weather can be anything. Last year, we had the warmest weather in Europe in July. This year it has been a bit cold and wet so far. Bring rain gear, be prepared for cool nights especially in the evenings if you are in the mountains. But there is no freezing or snow.

Back
Top Bottom