Longest calculable route?

mrsroynie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm a bit of a newcomer to GPS - only ever having used one to find a specific address in a car before. I was eventually persuaded that I needed to get one of my own to avoid the possibility of getting lost in a Chinese city ... Cue hollow laughter. :blast

Anyway, I am now the proud owner of a Zumo 390LM and, Saturday week, all things being even, I will be leaving Moscow to ride to Ulaanbaatar to meet up with Roynie (who will be on his way back from Beijing). I've used Basemap to design a Trans-Siberian route via Nizhniy Novgorod ... Ekaterinburg ... Novosibirsk ... Krasnoyarsk ... Irkutsk ... etc., etc., and have, I think, successfully transferred it to the device. However, sitting here in the sunny IOW, the Zumo is unable to fully calculate the route - hardly surprising as it's 6,500km from Moscow to Ulaanbaatar, let alone adding in a couple of thousand km of Western Europe!

All the waypoints seem to be in there. Do I just trust to luck that the thing will be able to calculate a 6,500km route when I arrive in Moscow, or should I re-do the whole thing and split it up into daily segments?

Split into daily segments, which is very quick and easy to do.

As to what the longest daily distance is? No idea. Keep building up until the device can't take it. Start with 1000 miles, if that works try 1,500 etc etc etc

Ta. Sorry, suddenly realised how simple it actually is. Thought I'd have to re-do all the waypoints.

Sorry. I'm back again. Can anyone suggest a fix for this bit of Garmin nonsense? In BaseCamp, my route from Nizhny Novgorod to Kazan is shown as a reasonably direct 403km. However, when I transfer the route to my Zumo 390LM, I get this little detour of 1762km! The problem area is show below. No matter how many intermediate waypoints I put in, I cannot get the two ends of the route to meet up. :blast

Attachments

• NizhnyKazan_screen1.jpg
    NizhnyKazan_screen1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 197
  • NizhnyKazan_screen2.jpg
    NizhnyKazan_screen2.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 220
looking at my map in mapsource and basecamp there is no road between your two waypoints on the screen shot of the bottom map, only shows a railroad, however there is a route north of your route that is approx 418 miles from point to point.

Attachments

• 30-06-2015 00-59-27.png
    30-06-2015 00-59-27.png
    91 KB · Views: 183
screen shot of no road

Attachments

• 30-06-2015 01-02-10.png
    30-06-2015 01-02-10.png
    89.4 KB · Views: 209
Thanks, leedude, but do you have the Russian routeable maps loaded into Basecamp? Kazan is actually quite a reasonable-sized place, which is not obvious in Basecamp's standard resolution. This is what that part of the route looks like using the OSM map. As you see, there are plenty of roads in the area and no reason (that I can see) for a 1360km detour. (And, yes, before you ask, exactly the same routeable maps are loaded on the Zumo.) But may be I'll just have to practice my signpost reading skills, when I get there ... :D

Attachments

• NizhnyKazan_routable.jpg
    NizhnyKazan_routable.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 205
Thanks, leedude, but do you have the Russian routeable maps loaded into Basecamp? Kazan is actually quite a reasonable-sized place, which is not obvious in Basecamp's standard resolution. This is what that part of the route looks like using the OSM map. As you see, there are plenty of roads in the area and no reason (that I can see) for a 1360km detour. (And, yes, before you ask, exactly the same routeable maps are loaded on the Zumo.) But may be I'll just have to practice my signpost reading skills, when I get there ... :D

I have found that outside of what could be called "Western Europe" the Garmin maps are poor. Where we are in Austria the OSM maps are better than the Garmin and the further east you look the greater the difference.

As to your problem have you looked at all the preferences on your unit?

John

Having had a play with this, i plotted a rough route similar to yours in google maps and then converted it to a gdb file loaded it in my 660 and it appears to be what you are looking for, i cant upload the file hear as its above the limit but if you pm me your email i will send it to you to have a look at.

I have found that outside of what could be called "Western Europe" the Garmin maps are poor. Where we are in Austria the OSM maps are better than the Garmin and the further east you look the greater the difference.

As to your problem have you looked at all the preferences on your unit?

John
Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't thought of the device settings. However .... I have now disabled all the "avoidance" options and tried each of the routing options in turn: "Faster time", "Curvy roads", "Off road", "Shorter distance", etc., and still the same issue seems to arise when I transfer my route to the 390. I'm wondering whether it is a device-specific problem. I'll pm leedude and see if I have any better luck with his gdb file.

What a bloody pile of poo!

Well, thanks again, leedude, for the time and trouble you went to. It all looked very promising. I cleared all the routes from the Zumo and imported your gdb file and it all looked well and good. Hoorah! So I went ahead and reimported the rest of the daily sections between Moscow and Ulaanbaatar. At first glance it looked great, a nice, reasonably straight Trans-Siberian run. However, when I zoomed in to look at the distance between Lee's Kazan waypoint and mine (for the onward section), I realised that the Zumo was no longer using the OSM map and had taken off across country, ignoring the roads entirely. :confused:

At first I thought this was my own fault. I might have left my routing preferences set up for "off road" or something silly. So I deleted the routes again and reset the preferences before reimporting them. Alas, it made no difference, so I have now wiped everything and am in the middle of reimporting the maps ...

I've solved the routing issue by simply setting the end waypoint for the Nizhny Novgorod to Kazan section to a motel south of the river ... and starting the next section the other side of the bridge, to the north. :blast

i think that the use of different maps may be causing the issue as you get a discrepancy when converting a google route to a garmin route, although they are the same route they appear different.

i think that the use of different maps may be causing the issue as you get a discrepancy when converting a google route to a garmin route, although they are the same route they appear different.

I think you will find that the OP said he had the same OSM maps on both his PC and the device.

John

I think you will find that the OP said he had the same OSM maps on both his PC and the device.

John

i think you will find i dont have OSM maps at all, and i used my map set to convert the route i sent him via email he may or may not have the same one, i certainly dont use OSM and thats what i was refering to and google maps of course.

I've used Basemap to design a Trans-Siberian route via Nizhniy Novgorod ... Ekaterinburg ... Novosibirsk ... Krasnoyarsk ... Irkutsk ... etc., etc., and have, I think, successfully transferred it to the device. However, sitting here in the sunny IOW, the Zumo is unable to fully calculate the route - hardly surprising as it's 6,500km from Moscow to Ulaanbaatar, let alone adding in a couple of thousand km of Western Europe!

I rode pretty much that route using a rough map and World Map in the GPS, not sure how accurate some of your routing will be in reality.

Personally I never make routes but use tracks, I'd convert that into a track and divide it up into manageable chunks, if it's still too large then right click Properties and filter the number of points (not miles!!) down to whatever your GPS unit can handle per individual track ...... either that or just head East:beerjug:

I think you will find that the OP said she had the same OSM maps on both her PC and the device.

John
;)

I rode pretty much that route using a rough map and World Map in the GPS, not sure how accurate some of your routing will be in reality.

Personally I never make routes but use tracks, I'd convert that into a track and divide it up into manageable chunks, if it's still too large then right click Properties and filter the number of points (not miles!!) down to whatever your GPS unit can handle per individual track ...... either that or just head East:beerjug:
Tracks, eh? I'm really pretty clueless about all this. I suppose I just did what my husband would have done, but entered a hotel address as the start and end points, so that I my journey doesn't (as has so often happened) finish at a major traffic junction. :(

But, yes, if in doubt, follow the sunrise! :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom