Private number plate retention..

This is all very handy info to know, I currently have a plate for sale so it'll make the transfer so much easier when it's sold!!

Log book

I also bought a personal number plate for the bike log book back in 4 days
Just waiting for number plate to arrive very impressed log books used to take forever

Just bought a bike with a private plate on it. The owner was looking at leaving the plate on the bike as it would delay the sale. However, he checked out the DVLA site and realised he could do it online just as Steppers post. He received an immediate notification confirming the transfer was complete and the 'old' number could be put back on . By the time time I picked the bike up 48hrs later he already had a new v5 back too. Quick and painless:thumb2

Do you get a new mot cert with the correct reg with the log book !

Do you get a new mot cert with the correct reg with the log book !

It's a good question that ! although to be honest the MOT 'certificate' you get now in reality is just a receipt. The VIN is registered on the MOT so there is a continuous trail. I like the way that the newer MOT receipt/record shows the history of the previous 4-5 MOTs.

Is it possible to assign a retained (V778) number to a car owned by someone else without making them a nominee first? In their guide it says -

4. Transfer a registration number

You can transfer your vehicle registration:

from your vehicle to another one in your name
to a vehicle you’re buying
to someone else’s vehicle

but doesn't offer explanation of whether the other person needs to be a nominee or not. :nenau

Is it possible to assign a retained (V778) number to a car owned by someone else without making them a nominee first? In their guide it says -

4. Transfer a registration number

You can transfer your vehicle registration:

from your vehicle to another one in your name
to a vehicle you’re buying
to someone else’s vehicle

but doesn't offer explanation of whether the other person needs to be a nominee or not. :nenau

I have a V778 and the way I read it I could simply enter the existing registration of the vehicle to which the retained number will be assigned in Section 1.

Your name should show as the Grantee (owner) at the top of page, so you sign in Section 1 to assign number to a currently registered vehicle.

The wording on the form suggests that DVLA don't care if you are buying a brand new vehicle, assigning reg to your own registered vehicle, or giving / selling the reg to another person for their vehicle.

I've swapped many times and just sigh with relief when the crisp new V5 drops through the door.

I finally spoke with dvla today. If the other person is not already a nominee you can't do it online.

For the benefit of others. On the V778 put the existing car registration in section 1; grantee sign and date section 1; fill in the nominee details in section 2; grantee sign and date section 6.

If it's a newly acquired vehicle, Fill in the new keeper section on the v5c and send both documents to dvla.

Back
Top Bottom