City Navigator detail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattW

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,
Could do with some advice.
I bought a Twin Cam at Christmas which came with a Zumo 550 (just the device in its mount and the carry case - no box or any other stuff)
I was intending to use this for my September trip to France and Corsica and I've been route planning in Basecamp (I use a Mac - no access to Mapsource).

The trouble is that the detail in the installed European mapping (City Navigator Europe NT 11.1) appears to be very poor - most minor roads and even some pretty major roads don't exist. For instance, trying to search for Zeebrugge ferry terminal fails as the unit doesn't even know it exists and when I look at the mapping, its just not there (neither are any of the feeder roads).

Can anyone tell me if this level of detail is normal for City Navigator?

Screenshot of Basecamp with the Satnav mapping installed (exactly the same view if I try to use the device and zoom in on the area).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 19.43.23.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 19.43.23.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 149
Try cranking up (all the way to the right) the 'detail' slider on the map (at the bottom of your pic), and make sure your mapping is reading your City navigator mapping and not just the Global map. Go to 'Maps" on the top bar of the screen and make sure the 'tick' is against 'City Navigator' and NOT 'Global Map', as that is very basic and undetailed.......I think this could be your problem as I have just replicated exactly the same look as you have posted when my mapping is set to 'Global Map' on my Mac without my Zumo connected.

Try cranking up (all the way to the right) the 'detail' slider on the map (at the bottom of your pic)

Thanks.
Tried it - no effect on Belgium although it does pull up more detail in certain areas of France - but only certain coastal northern areas (see screenshot below).

I'm beginning to think that my 550 is missing a load of mapping - bugger.

I'm beginning to think that my 550 is missing a load of mapping - bugger.

Yes indeed. Seems like you have just the base map for Belgium. Time to get some maps.

Matt

It does appear that way, possibly because the previous owner couldn't get all of Europe on the memory of the unit so was selective in what he chose.......and he didn't choose Belgium!!

That is just the generic base map.

In your screen shot in post #1 look in the upper left hand corner, 'My Garmin Devices'. The screen shot shows that the 550 device is connected, which is good. It also shows 'Maps' held on the SD card but the file is closed up. Click on the little arrow and see what maps (if any) are listed. Click on them in turn and see if the detail changes.

Report back with your findings.

That is just the generic base map.

In your screen shot in post #1 look in the upper left hand corner, 'My Garmin Devices'. The screen shot shows that the 550 device is connected, which is good. It also shows 'Maps' held on the SD card but the file is closed up. Click on the little arrow and see what maps (if any) are listed. Click on them in turn and see if the detail changes.

Report back with your findings.

Thanks.

Done as you say. You're right - It looks like most of Europe is just the base map - screenshot with detail at max, showing a larger area.

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 121
Yup, you've only got a few detailed map tiles loaded onto the SD card in the device.

Time for you to download and install the full set of detailed maps (or at least the ones you really need) onto your computer and into your device. See lots of threads and websites on how to do that, including free maps, too.

Google: garmin zumo 550 download and install maps

Yup, you've only got a few detailed map tiles loaded onto the SD card in the device.

Time for you to download and install the full set of detailed maps (or at least the ones you really need) onto your computer and into your device. See lots of threads and websites on how to do that.

Bugger.

Thanks for the advice ;)

I assume I'll have to buy this mapping from Garmin? I further assume that I'll be able to 'update' to the full European mapping even though I don't posses most of it?...

If so, my new dilemma is to either buy £50 of mapping for an obsolete Satnav or shell out for a new one complete with mapping...

Google is your friend.

There is open street mapping, free.

There are even sites where you can dowload free Garmin detailed maps. It's often theft, of course but hey, they can afford it.... And it's not like stealing from a mate or nuffin' or doin' an old lady out of her pension like wot the banks do... :D :beerjug:

Google is your friend.

There is open street mapping, free.

There are even sites where you can dowload free Garmin detailed maps. It's theft, of course but hey, they can afford it....

Thanks.
I've just looked at the OSM stuff but not sure whether to trust it.

Been looking for the 'ahem' free Garmin stuff but no joy as yet - must look harder...

Thanks again every for the input :thumb

EU Garmin lifetime updates £43 on eBay. It'll also make the device more sellable should you wish to upgrade at a later date.

Contact if you can the seller of the device. It's possible he subscribed to lifetime map updates but only loaded partial map tiles for his Normandy holiday, him not needing downtown Helsinki or awsome Rome roads.

Failing that, Garmin might well be able to tell you. Transfer of lifetime maps transfers with the device.... And anyway, it should have at least the full mapset from whenever the device was first registered, which won't be too bad. Garmin used to turn old maps for customers.... Ask them nicely.

EU Garmin lifetime updates £43 on eBay. It'll also make the device more sellable should you wish to upgrade at a later date.

Thanks - do you have a link or item number for that?

Contact if you can the seller of the device. It's possible he subscribed to lifetime map updates but only loaded partial map tiles for his Normandy holiday, him not needing downtown Helsinki or awsome Rome roads.

Failing that, Garmin might well be able to tell you. Transfer of lifetime maps transfers with the device.... And anyway, it should have at least the full mapset from whenever the device was first registered, which won't be too bad. Garmin used to turn old maps for customers.... Ask them nicely.

Don't hold out much hope regarding the seller - came attached to a used bike I bought from a main dealer.
I'll certainly try Garmin though - can't hurt to ask.

Thanks - the £7 postage from Lithuania(!) takes it to £50 - same price as the genuine (although not lifetime update) version from Garmin.

eBay seems to be full of chancers selling knock off copies for £40+ but I've just bid on a very cheap one - I'll see what happens with that and in the meantime I'll give Garmin a call and see what I can sweet talk them into.

I posted this earlier in the thread re open street map but must have been invisible! I use them on my Garmin cycle GPS and they work great.

Matt

Thanks Monty,
I did actually download the OSM France mapping and installed it into basecamp to have a play with (not actually installed it onto my Zumo yet).

I'm just a bit nervous about depending on it 'untried' for foreign travel - wouldn't want to find out there are problems while away from home and computers / internet etc. These might be unfounded fears and It wouldn't be the end of the world - I've got maps and can read signs but I have got used to the (mostly) stress free experience that is satnav guided travel, especially in areas I've never visited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom