F800 GS Headlight Replacement

thomo57

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After 70,000 miles I have fitted the replacement Hella headlamp.
The original CEV reflector had deteriorated so much that it was unsafe, despite passing the MOT, in March.
In hoping the Hella unit is better quality,
f3956fea6fc6ddb0ae108976706e1ad0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looked OK when it was new, I wonder how many Micky has been through, that he won't own up to

The OEM on the right, looks cheap and nasty:eek:

Looks identical to me JB, just newer that's all ;)

It looked OK when it was new, I wonder how many Micky has been through, that he won't own up to

Still on my original, but it's sadly looking like yours :nenau

Where from and how much if I may ask, might have to treat the old girl :eek:

:beerjug:

BMW dealer list price is £215.84 + Vat

Ya never ride in the dark Micky,.....so why bother.
:D:thumby:

'They' know that, so that's why it gets an mot each year :D

BMW dealer list price is £215.84 + Vat ��

Not bad I guess .... I wouldn't like to have to make one for that :thumb

Ta

:beerjug:

Before I got a new one, I repaired the old faded one by removing the plastic surround and used the 40mm wide very shiny aluminium tape that builders use, this is a sticky back real ali tape.

I just cut it and stuck it down and creased it into the grooves and trimmed it, then the next bit till I got around, looked fine and worked albeit not as good as the original but good and passed mot.

How did you get into the back of the head lamp? I couldn't work it put to try the alloy tape

I took off the front surround, it was done slowly but with care it came off just by prizing it with a small screw driver and easing it.
If you are worried about the glass breaking then cover it in Sellotape or other sticky back plastic are available, do a few coats so it will hold and not scratch.

Once done the surround can be glued back.

Saves heaps of cash. I have kept the old one and have redone it for the next time I need.

After 70,000 miles I have fitted the replacement Hella headlamp.

Do Hella make a complete replacement unit for the F800GS then? If so my google-fu must be weak for I cannot find reference to it on t'interwebs.

Hella have taken over from the previous company (CEV?) and is making them for BMW. I think this early on in the switch of manufacturer you have to go through the
dealer. It took a few years before you could start getting the CEV ones from Italy without gong through the dealer.

Best,

S

A word of warning for anyone going down this route: at first glance these look identical to the UK spec headlights but on closer inspection the low beam reflector pattern is reversed. In hindsight not too surprising for a part shipped from Italy. :blast

From what I can see all of the relatively cheap headlights on eBay etc are the European/RHD version.

OK so what was the conclusion of this thread?, as I am in need of a new unit for my bike, burnt and fogging.

Does anyone know of any aftermarket units that would fit?

Just called Rainbow and they quoted £271!! :eek:

OK anyone got an old headlamp unit you no longer want so I can have play? Think I've found a place.
Could exchange for some beer tokens.

Will chuck something up in the wanted section as well.

Thanks

I have my old unit complete with a cracked lens, if that's any good to you. It's good otherwise, but since the lens is glued on I bit the bullet and got a replacement from BMW in the end. I'm away atm but can sort some photos next week.

cheers, have sourced one, but don't get rid of it just yet, may need another lens ;-)

I had the same issue with my head light as the OP. Got an italian import and replaced it. No problems with MOT at all. Was worried when I took it in but passed with no issues. IFAIK he beam pattern is flat rather than positioned for RH or LH dip. Ive done some research since and most results come back with the fact that newer bikes have flat beam patterns so no adjustments needed or issues with driving on left or right. Replacement was much cheaper than BMW dealer / uk prices.

Thanks will bear that in mind. May end up with an Italian one. But will still have a play.

Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom