Iceland for New Year

Deleted account 211025001

Reaction score
The Lovely Amanda and I are gonna be in Reykjavik for 4 nights over New Year. We're not on bikes but may well have a hire car.

Do you have any recommendations for 'must do's' whilst there? We don't want to be rushing around doing stuff all the time and are just as likely to stay in the apartment drinking bubbly as staggering to and from the nearest bar, the emphasis will be on chilling rather than ticking off a bucket list.

However, we would like to use 'some' of the time constructively so a visit to the Blue Lagoon is, I guess, inevitable as will be a trip out into some of the beautiful landscapes there, but, and it's probably a big but, there isn't exactly a lot of daylight available for getting out and about is there (other than star watching).......or is there :nenau

Oh, and on the wildest off chance, has anybody come across a decent (as opposed to ‘health food cafe’) veggie restaurant in Reykjavik?

Cheers
Andres

If I had to guess, it will be dead easy to go chillin' in Iceland (a country made entirely of ice let's not forget, as Sandi Toksvig put it so famously at the time of the banking chrisis in Northern Rock) in January.

Went there for Xmas a few years ago on a 4/5 night deal, we extended with a couple of nights in the north of the island, take a short flight up and then you get to stay in the bird watching part of the country.

In the winter it's really quiet, we ended up choosing to miss the organised trip to the whale hunting museum (strangely) and went for a walk, aiming for a dormant volcano, across a narrower part of the continental divide, a fabulous day out at peace!

In the evening we we went to a lagoon for a swim, feet sticking to the ground on the way from the changing room as sub zero and then a chilled out swim as the northern lights formed for the best display in two years. The informality of the hotel was just perfect!

With the Blue Lagoon, don't get your expectations too high, we were there on Xmas day in a storm, but +ve temperatures, fun, but you will grab the sand from the bottom and see it contains more hairs than sand which makes it must harder to understand the copulating couple that you will also meet. Don't be put off, but as lagoons go Iceland has a load better, mainly because they're not as good and so not on a bucket list.

Edit: People will tell you not to bother with the ice bar, believe them, you end up in a cold room with windows to the corridor leading to the toilets trying to figure whether you try to drink a decent value of booze or leave early to get your life back!

'nother edit: It sounds negative, but it was one of out favourite holidays, gulfloss, continental divide, geyser and wandering around rekyavik with it's heated pavements and beautiful lighting and buildings. Just so different and can be taken at whatever pace you want.

New Year is party time in Iceland. They go mad with fireworks with some spectacular displays (so sya my sister who lives in the southern suburbs of Reykjavik)

Thanks for the feedback guys and Walter, thanks especially for the veggie list (and the snowmobiles look fab!) :beerjug:

Andres

Oh, and on the wildest off chance, has anybody come across a decent (as opposed to ‘health food cafe’) veggie restaurant in Reykjavik?

Get yourself to Glo. It's on Laugavegur which is an amazing street full of great shops, bars and restaurants. It's not all vegetarian or vegan but there's a wide selection and it's great.

Reykjavik is one of my favourite places in the world. It's totally unlike anywhere else.

Try the resturant called 'Dill' in the old town. Much acclaimed, a little Pricey but if it's not every other and you want special it's very good. They do local and fish.

Back
Top Bottom