WW1 weekend....where to go

Thx for all the info; some of the places you've referenced I've got on the list....looking at the maps on www.greatwar.co.uk it shows just how close alot of the memorial sites are, so as said, we're bound to pass a few en route.

The Thierpval site looks particularly impressive, and there's alot of other places in the same area of course.
Thiepval monument was closed for renovation when i was there in July

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AUsisFkLCxo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Classical music isn't everybody's cup of tea, but you'll find the name 'George Butterworth' on the Thiepval Memorial - picked off by a sniper in 1916 in the Somme.

Over 72,000 names are on Lutyens' designed memorial to the Somme fallen who have no known grave. Very sad.

Do you both read much ??

It's quite a long book, but you've got 3 weeks .. !

Read Birdsong by Sebastian Faulkes, before you go!! I was so inspired by his book that I felt compelled to take a trip there and visit some of the places where his characters lived and fought, including the fuck off underground bomb the tunnelers detonated (The huge crater is still there). He did loads of research to write it, and whilst its a 'story', its based on so much historical accuracy that I found it fascinating to walk the streets he talked about.

Read it!! (Put readers wives and the Beano down for once Nutty .... )

Do you both read much ??

Read Birdsong by Sebastian Faulkes, before you go!! I was so inspired by his book that I felt compelled to take a trip there and visit some of the places where his characters lived and fought, including the fuck off underground bomb the tunnelers detonated (The huge crater is still there). He did loads of research to write it, and whilst its a 'story', its based on so much historical accuracy that I found it fascinating to walk the streets he talked about.

Would that be the Lochnagar Crater by any chance?

We're trying to decide whether to stay somewhere central for 2 nights, or move around. What say the consensus?

Do you both read much ??

I can't read. Do they do a picture version?

And if anyone can recommend a good 5 star hotel, with restaurant and bar for under 50 Euros a night with a brothel nearby, that would also be appreciated.:D

Den Angel, little cosy place last street on the right as you walk from the square to the Menin Gate. Not that Ive been there of course. Its lit up.

Den Angel, little cosy place last street on the right as you walk from the square to the Menin Gate. Not that Ive been there of course. Its lit up.

So does this mean Ypres is a belting venue for a Saturday night partay!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stopped twice in The Albion, which is only a 5 minute walk from both the museum and Menin gate in Ypres.

No Greg Masters they are not WW2 to answer your question, but as the op had stated that. Nice one, thank you. to viewing the Blockhaus, thats also not WW2. i did think he may be interested in going to La Coupole, which i think is possibly better but thats just me. hope that helps.

We're trying to decide whether to stay somewhere central for 2 nights, or move around. What say the consensus?

Stay in or near Ypres. Do the early battles on the northern sector on day one. (See my earlier post.). You can also visit the German war cemetery at Langemarck. Have a look at the section on the right as you go in. This is occupied by the Einjahre Freiwilligers. Students who volunteered for a year thinking that the war would be over in months. Langemarck is strikingly different from the British war cemeteries with a very different atmosphere which you really should experience.

On day two, focus on the southern sector with British attacks in 1917: Messines and Paaschendael. To my previous suggestion , you can add Messines Peace Park and the church in Messines. You may be able to go up the spire of the church. It gives great views of the area, including the corner where AH won his Iron Cross and the site of the Xmas Truce in 1914, Bethlehem Farm.

Info here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mines_in_the_Battle_of_Messines_(1917) re the Messines mines, one of which is still there, ready to detonate!

Did I mention ... Stay clear of the Menin Gate until the evening of day 2! :D

Poperinge in Belgium is a lovely place to stay, with a lovely old town square for a drink in the evening, and a great location to see a lot of the locations.

If I was to revisit just one location from my recent trip it would be Mons to see the location of the first VC recipient, then onto St Symphorien German Cemetery where the very same VC recipient is buried, along with the first and last casualties of the war...

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/402831-WW1-Trip-To-Belgium-amp-France-July-2015

Arras is slightly further, but is worth a trip in itself.
Two old squares with a decent market om (Fri?). At the citadelle there is a CWWG. Has a tiny car park adjacent. Nowadays you can either ride or walk round to La Place des Heros, where fighters of the Resistance were shot, there are plaques on the citadelle walls to give you their names.

Never actually stayed in Arras, but it is large enough to have a range of hotels and restaurants. ViaMichelin will present you a swathe of price ranges for both eating and sleeping, or check Booking.com

Nearby Arras is the famous Vimy Ridge. Bequested to the Canadian Govt in appreciation of the sacrifice of the Canadian Corps who stormed the Ridge, Easter 1917. One highlight is the Grange highway, the system of tunnels built o provide shelter and storage for the reserve troops and an easier passage for the fallen.
Every time I go the guided tours are slightly more regimented. Perhaps some of the tunnels are not as stable as they were. Take warm clothing.
Up top there are actual trenchlines, shell craters and allegedly lots of live rounds - but they are all behind fencing...

Vimy was perhaps the first attempt to use what are now considered "modern" infantry tactics by the Allies. Better thought out creeping barrage, outflanking by infantry and zut alors - telling the PBI what their objectives were!
Well done General Byng, and the Canadians.

The museum at Peronne is great, one of the best, as mentioned

If you wanted to go a bit further, then Verdun is very moving, and quite an extensive battlefield, apart from the regrowth, it is easy to imagine the layout. Several of the forts are visitable, the huge necropolis and a not too large museum on the "circuit".
A couple of acceptable bistro places in Verdun itself. A Ibis Budget, maybe others available on the edge of town

If only wanting a bimble along the coast there are lots of mostly WW2 blockhouses, rocket sites, museums down as far as Boulogne, You could consider going as far as the CWWG at Etaples, site of the infamous "Bull Ring". The ride along the coast is perhaps more interesting than the CWWG?

However Boulogne has the advantage of a slew of worthy restaurants.
La Matelote opposite Nausicaa - a destination in itself if the weather turned rubbish. They are also a hotel, and offer the occasional deal, room and dinner.
The ever famous Pecheur du Mer opposite Place Dalton. Good, but not my first choice.
My favourite, L'Epicure on the right as you get on to the main drag in Wimereux, inexplicably often empty, but the best food as has ever come to my table. Their €25 and €35ish menus are incredible value. The best excecuted, seasoned balanced and presented meal ever - and I have been to much higher rated places. The wine is decent value too, if in doubt, Virgine's recommendation will be good.
Hotel Atlantic, Le Leige restaurant (expensive) and the Bistro, which if clement goes outside onto the seafront.
Hamiot's in Boulogne has lost its way as far as good value is concerned, OK for a beer, but the food while not horrid, is to ordinary and not good value in my book.
La Chaloupe up as far as Wissant is a good bistro, star turn is the fish soup/stew - I think you have to have at least a two'er.

There are several others which I can dig out, if anyone is still hungry.

If the thought of so much death and needless destruction is all too much then there is the Musee Matisse at Le Cateau-Cambresis. Horrible parking in a car though.

Nick

Back
Top Bottom