Crosstourer DCT...Hmmm...

I spent an hour on Saturday and all day Sunday on a Crosstourer DCT, fab engine, great sound, superb crackle on the overrun which was very addictive. The DCT is amazing, gear changes are instantaneous and sooooooo smooth. Engine pulls so well from such low revs that if you are gentle on the throttle tootling in a suburban area and in D it will be in 5th by 32 mph and 6th by 37. Sport mode and aggressive throttle will see it hold on to any gear up to the redline.

On a medium throttle 3rd , 4th ' 5th and 6th only make there changes felt by a drop in exhaust tone . Amazing. Full throttle shifts are just so quick it's unreal. Fantastic if you regularly take a pillion.

You have total control too even in auto mode , if you don't like the gear you are in choose another . It will stay in what is effectively auto mode but give you the gear you want fro a while until it feels it needs to change again. Example ; in auto (5th gear) following three cars I see an overtaking opportunity coming up so I knocked it down to 3rd , the opportunity comes, gas it , gone, pull back in throttle back and she goes back up to 4th then quickly 5th again.
Of course I could've just pinned it in which case she will drop down a couple of cogs anyway but you don't always want to give it a fistful, it's nice to be ready in the gear you want.

It's a really great bike , solid , stable , surefooted and quick but it's isn't as nimble as the GS, it feels slower steering and the extra weight makes itself felt as 'inertia' when trying to flick it on its side or flip flopping through a series of bends. The weight isn't an issue at slow speed as its really well balanced. The brakes are fab too.

If it handled like the GS it would be awesome . I think a better rider than me wouldn't have a problem with the handling and it might just be a case of getting used to it.

Lastly the fit and finish is superb, the body panels are so well made and fit together so well. I too, a look at the Tracer (not ridden one) and whilst in many ways that might be a better bike, more fun/agile, the Tracer felt cheap and plasticky in comparison to the Honda.

It's a bloody great piece of kit:thumb2

Thanks Rushy, great answer... I am going to do likewise and see if the plan lines up...:)

Thanks Rushy, great answer... I am going to do likewise and see if the plan lines up...:)

Life isn't a test ride so I just bought one and thought i'd see just what they were like , the weekend was the first time i've ridden my new ride, so far so good ....BTW its the one you mentioned in your OP.:p

I had a DCT last year and took it touring in Europe. I loved the idea of the automatic gearbox but riding around the passes in auto just does not work. The DCT decides to change gear at all the wrong times when riding up and down the mountain twisties. You have to be in manual. Rather defeats the object of buying the DCT version. I sold it and toured this year on a 1200 Caponord. Much much much better.

Manual buttons work for me....its not hard;)

I had a DCT last year and took it touring in Europe. I loved the idea of the automatic gearbox but riding around the passes in auto just does not work. The DCT decides to change gear at all the wrong times when riding up and down the mountain twisties. You have to be in manual. Rather defeats the object of buying the DCT version. I sold it and toured this year on a 1200 Caponord. Much much much better.

So far I don't like Normal D mode at all but sport seems to give me the gear I need most of the time and then I just hit the shift button occasionally if I need something different. Haven't really tried manual too much , don't see the point.

Life isn't a test ride so I just bought one and thought i'd see just what they were like , the weekend was the first time i've ridden my new ride, so far so good ....BTW its the one you mentioned in your OP.:p

Thought your report was from a test ride not a test buy...:) That's my way also but I am having a test in a weeks time just to see... I am stupid tall also so what to see what the fit is like as well as the 1200V4 and the DCT... I fancied an XT12 for a while and then found I had a knee to plastic interface...:) PIA as the Germans build for tall...

Yip, had a read and also his DCT report which made me go from a Luddite thinker to a Hmmmm...:) Good write up...

WTF...:) If that's for real its a great deal... and I have been scanning the net for prices... Strangely it's the DCT that makes it far more interesting for me but the bike seems very underrated as a "normal" bike and passed by my bike radar for several years including a complete ignore when in a dealer a couple of years ago... Work that one out...:)

Do likewise?

Had the testride today... Wet, misty, and all that and perfect to test the dct crosstourer... Loved it... The dct takes one junction to suss the basics then 20 miles to work some of the best bits... D good for tootling and cruising... S for giving it the berries...:) you flick up and down when you needed it... The engine in this tune is a peach... Goes like stink when you need it and has good traction control when you need it... The bike fits well and even for me wasn't too breezy...

Doesn't feel heavy at all... Well made and does what you expect... I'll own one soon... A good step up in useable technology and a good laugh when you want it... Bit of a stealth useable bike like gs's were 15-20 years ago... Something a bit different...:)

Wound the rear shock down... Why do test bikes often have their suspension set on kidney rattle mode... Ride it soft then it gives you some feel... Now where's the bank statement and the calculator...

Like I said they are a great piece of kit and a really interesting alternative to the GS. I only noticed the weight when changing direction at speed and like I said I may just need to get used to it. I've been checking out the CT forum a bit and quite few guys looking to replace their CT with another one seem to be thinking of the DCT version. I'm hoping to put athousand miles on mine at the weekend, I had the 8 k service done early in prep for it, hopefully I'll be a bit more used to her by then:thumb

Like I said they are a great piece of kit and a really interesting alternative to the GS. I only noticed the weight when changing direction at speed and like I said I may just need to get used to it. I've been checking out the CT forum a bit and quite few guys looking to replace their CT with another one seem to be thinking of the DCT version. I'm hoping to put athousand miles on mine at the weekend, I had the 8 k service done early in prep for it, hopefully I'll be a bit more used to her by then:thumb

I think the dct ct will deffo be a cult bike for those that have tried it... I get the same feeling as when I 1st tried gs's... I only found it bulky on slow stuff such as tight roundabouts and slow bends after quick bits... I am on an rt at the mo...:) probably wouldn't think twice about non dct version even though there are some good deals about...

Just had a test ride today.......... What a great road bike !
Seamless gear changes in manual, and just as good in sport mode.
Engine is a peach. It just pulls and pulls until you get scared.
I thought my GS brakes were good, but the C/T's are in another league. Nearly popped my eye balls.

Waiting to see what the dealer comes up with for my 14 plate GS LC TE.

Bad bits on the C/T.... No cruise, no ESA, no on board computer..... But that V4 tied into that Gearbox....... Superb !

Just had a test ride today.......... What a great road bike !
Seamless gear changes in manual, and just as good in sport mode.
Engine is a peach. It just pulls and pulls until you get scared.
I thought my GS brakes were good, but the C/T's are in another league. Nearly popped my eye balls.

Waiting to see what the dealer comes up with for my 14 plate GS LC TE.

Bad bits on the C/T.... No cruise, no ESA, no on board computer..... But that V4 tied into that Gearbox....... Superb !

She flies doesn't she, I'm loving the engine :p. The exhaust note with an after market can is lovely and when you shift down the box and the auto blipper works it's magic there is a lovely crackle from it. The ESA I can live without, the cruise is definitely something that would be nice to have I agree, especially as it's a full ride by wire system so easy to implement. As for an OBC it gives most of the information you need/ get with an OBC , except for range, but you can't control it from the bars which is a PITA.

I need to play with the suspension settings a bit because although the brakes are great she dives quite a bit under braking , but more disconcerting is the way the forks rebound very quickly as you come off the brakes. It's almost like they come back up and got to full extension.

She is a little thirsty though which I don't really care about except for that means the tank range isn't great. Just did a 1000 miles last weekend on her and had to start looking for fuel at anything between 135 & 160 miles with reserve being a further 40 miles. A shame as you can ride it all day without stopping.

The only thing that concerns me about the DCT is reliability as it gets older - that said, I've never heard of any DCT failures other than occasionally getting out of sync - cured by re-starting the bike - I guess that's probably a software blip.

The only thing that concerns me about the DCT is reliability as it gets older - that said, I've never heard of any DCT failures other than occasionally getting out of sync - cured by re-starting the bike - I guess that's probably a software blip.

I use the Google test... Type in "Honda Crosstourer problems" or my other possible an XT1200Z and see what comes up... A couple of DCT bugs for the Crosstourer and a possible headlight loom and minor FD seal leak for the XTZ... Next to the extensive lists for GS's et al then its hardly a ripple... I once had a choice between a VW LT van or a Renault Master... Google "Renault gearbox problem"....:)

Sure sounds interesting and I can feel a demo coming on.

Somethings a few demo hours can't answer easily like:

1. Comfort for rider and pillion - especially the pillion seat?

2. Honda panniers. Are the waterproof?
:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom