Euro 95 E10 fuel

It will be going in for service in September, I'll get the clearances checked and the throttles balanced, see if that helps.I only had it all done in June.

I'm currently in northern France, getting the ferry home tomorrow after 2 weeks and 2.5k miles in the French Alps and Corsica on my TC. I've been using 98 wherever I can get it. I've avoided E10 after hearing scary stories (no idea if it's bollocks but didn't want to chance it) - we had some sustained 130kph motorway runs so I also wanted to avoid the potential burned valve thing you hear about (possibly bollocks also). It definitely runs better on 98 - smoother tick over, better mpg and better pick up from low revs, so much so that I might continue to use it at home - it probably evens out cost wise due to the better fuel consumption.

My first experience of posh fuel was Tesco momentum I found in Scotland. 99RON.

Bike was quiet as a sewing machine and pulled like a train. Sadly it's not available in Northern Ireland.

Unlike Southern Ireland, we do get a limited number of garages with super unleaded, but it's capped at 97 RON, which is not really any different to 95 in my opinion.

I have ordered a load of octane booster, I'll play around with different mixes.

Just returned home from a 1000 mile trip to Germany/France in some of the most torrential rain I have ever ridden in.
Stuck to using 98 petrol and the bike was perfect.
What supprised me more than anything was the fuel consumption. An increase in MPG was the last thing I expected considering the terrible weather. Average 55.4 mpg.
I will stick to using 98 in the future.
Thanks again Guys for all your advice.

Low octane fuel causes the ECU to retard the spark timing. This avoids pre ignition engine knock but wastes energy down the exhaust.
Better fuel is usually cheaper per mile. It also puts less heat stress on exhaust valves and seats.

What supprised me more than anything was the fuel consumption. An increase in MPG was the last thing I expected considering the terrible weather. Average 55.4 mpg.
I will stick to using 98 in the future.

I'm guessing a lighter touch on the loud pedal in the rain helped.....:thumb

Low octane fuel causes the ECU to retard the spark timing. This avoids pre ignition engine knock but wastes energy down the exhaust.
Better fuel is usually cheaper per mile. It also puts less heat stress on exhaust valves and seats.

Is this the cause of the exhaust popping on overrun ?? I will have my octane booster on Tuesday, curious top see if it makes a difference.

Is this the cause of the exhaust popping on overrun ?? I will have my octane booster on Tuesday, curious top see if it makes a difference.

Let us know how you get on, like all wonder additives it don't seem to do anything but reduce your power,

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zKxJfXfD6mg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nothing like the real thing I guess ie 98 ron fuel.

Let us know how you get on, like all wonder additives it don't seem to do anything but reduce your power,

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zKxJfXfD6mg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nothing like the real thing I guess ie 98 ron fuel.

The "real thing" is not available in Ireland, I would buy nothing else if I could.

The pops are caused by air getting drawn into the exhaust either back from the silencer can or through any leaks in the pipe joints. Small amount of unburnt fuel from cylinder, plus heat, plus oxygen from air leak etc etc.
my Honda XL250 used to pop on every overrun so be glad the Beemer isn't carbureted.

My TC pops and burbles on the overrun no matter what fuel I use. My mates' TC is just the same.

Now I'm used to it, I quite like it ;)

Slowing down on a not quite shut throttle = lots of pops and bangs. TBH I avoid it in town but otherwise it's just fine for any big kid petrol head.

I've experimented on mine, normal UK unleaded pops and bangs on overrun, with premium unleaded it runs a treat, easier to control at low speed, smoother and just overall a nicer ride, it was almost an instant change on the premium tank.
As a newbie and born again rider to the GSA I was still very aware of its bulk and found it a little unsteady on small throttle openings, on bigger revs it was fine though. Premium unleaded for me now, The fuel UN there now is Tescos own 99ron.
I didn't notice any difference in vibes though.

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

P.S..... it's also had the Hiltop setup 😉
I'm going to assume it was possibly set up on premium too.

I filled up one of my TLS'S with premium fuel yesterday in bicester, £1.32.9 a litre, how come there is no mention of the high fuel prices on the news like we normally get?
Filled my gsa up on Friday too, £131.9 and my other Tls on weds last week same price , over £80.00 of fuel put in in 5 days, getting expensive this biking lark:D

My TC pops and burbles on the overrun no matter what fuel I use. My mates' TC is just the same.

Now I'm used to it, I quite like it ;)

Indeed :) i have the same on my Hexhead, Not a loud pipe, but lets people know you are approacing a junction and slowing :)

I filled up one of my TLS'S with premium fuel yesterday in bicester, £1.32.9 a litre, how come there is no mention of the high fuel prices on the news like we normally get?
Filled my gsa up on Friday too, £131.9 and my other Tls on weds last week same price , over £80.00 of fuel put in in 5 days, getting expensive this biking lark:D

When fuel was £1.00 it was £54 -£60 to fill the H6, Now its up to £65 - £72!

Bike wise, it was £17 every 3 weeks now its £20 every 2 (mind you i did increase CC's by 1000)

Mart :)

P.S..... it's also had the Hiltop setup ��
I'm going to assume it was possibly set up on premium too.

The engine has knock sensors so it will adjust the spark advance to suit the fuel. Posh petrol allows the spark to be advanced further so engine runs more efficiently with cooler exhaust gas. The same advance with cheap petrol the engine would pinking/knocking and heading for serious damage so it retards the spark and the engine gets fluffy and generally not as nice to use.

If its spitting back you may be running rich or have a weak fuel pump thats not allowing the injectors to spray as well as they should.

Back
Top Bottom