iPad mini on a GS?

s3dxm

Reaction score
Anybody use an iPad mini on a GS?

I have an old tomtom rider - nothing wrong with it,
I also have the full European tomtom app on my iPhone and iPad - has a few more features....

Curious if anyone have used the iPad mini?

Or will the size be a tad on the large side?

Cheers.

Will the iPad work with gloves on?

They are not renounded for their waterproof qualities.

Size wise? Do YOU think it will fit and not fly off?

Yea , it'll work. Use a lifeproof case and the old style mount that has the 4 hole fixing. Rig up a USB port and you're away. As Wapping says can't use gloves but you could mount a stylus somewhere.

As you say, it has some advantages over a stand alone device but there are drawbacks as well. Put it this way, I'm not selling my garmin just yet!!

I presume you have the iPad mini Cellular version? The Wifi version doesn't have a proper GPS chip.

I've seen them fitted into cars, but I think they would be too big for a bike - even a normal sized GPS often gets in the way of the clocks.

I fitted it above the clocks on a GSA using the oem sat nav bracket and it was fine, on a std GS you may have issues with it getting in the way. However I have removed the mount now as whilst it is obviously bigger and easy to see I find the TomTom voice instructions so good I rarely need to look at the screen and often just use it with the phone in my pocket. The Garmin mount has gone back on as I prefer planning my own routes and using the Garmin to guide me along them.

Where the iPad would be of use is with topo maps as the current crop of devices have a very small screen. I've also used it in London with an A-Z app, set to centre to GPS the screen will move with you so you always know where you are and can plan your route on the fly and because it's not having to compute a route it doesn't get confused by complicated road layouts and poor signals due to tall buildings.

Try it and see, you may prefer it. Stick it in a map case on the tank to try it out, if you like it it may be worth getting the life proof case and mount

Thanks for the advice....

I might try my full size iPad in the tank bag and see how I go.

And I've got a spare iphone 5s I might use pay as you go for the bike then....

It will be only used on longer distance touring trips.
����

GPS on any smart phone/tablet are very power hungry, you will need to sort charging out. If you've got a spare iPhone you don't need it to connect to the cellular network, it will run TomTom as a stand alone

Was thinking of pay as you go as emergency back up.

Have got a 12v outlet next to the clocks so GPS and music whilst charging??

Just be aware that the phone, using GPS will draw more charge than you can put in via your socket and whilst I've never actually had the phone go flat on me I've always turned off the navigation at rest stops and kept the phone on charge to top it up

I had similar issues with my iPad in the landrover..
I've got a 2.3 amp USB charger that does the job!

I considered putting my iPad mini retina in my tank bag map pocket. In theory it's a great idea however the screens are crap in sunlight I don't believe you would be able to see much. Zumo 590 for me :beerjug:

i use these, which will keep up with the large power draw of the Tom Tom app on my iPhone 5S. just, with not much to spare.

I have used an iPad 3 in a tankbag running PocketEarth (excellent offline app esp for planning)

1. It needed charging from the bike, even when using an external BT GPS

2. Screen reflection can be an issue

3. After a couple of hours the screen overheated, went black and the iPad shut down

My iPad Air 2 is even hungrier for power and creates even more heat in the tankbag. I don't have any experience of an iPad Mini but if you can mitigate the three issues above then you have another viable navigation option

I tried it for a trip down to Greece work fine only problem inside a waterproof case the iPad got so hot it switched it self off and a warning telling me it's to hot

Back
Top Bottom