Test rides - R1200 RS and S1000XR

I've had an RS SE Sport since September last year - covered about 8000 miles since including trips to Avignon at Easter and more recently Brittany as well as commuting and Sunday rides in the UK. I love it but as mentioned above, I have fitted bar risers and peg lowers as I am more used to ADV bike riding positions. Sadly, my right hip complains even after the adjustments after 2-3 hours. The RS is a keeper though, for shorter trips like my commute and a weekend away.
So, for my long summer trip last year I added a Triumph Explorer XRx to the garage. This is a lovely bike too but I don't enjoy riding it as much. Great on the move but I may get crushed one day when gravity wins whilst pushing it into the garage or I meet a coach on an Alpine hairpin. Great bike for crossing continents on. I did not go for a GS as to get the same spec. would have cost nearly £20k (the TEX came with £2k of "free" accessories including luggage).
I rode the XR when the RS was in for the 6k service. I had the bike booked out all day but took it back at lunchtime when I got the call that the RS was ready. The power makes you giggle to begin with but I am inherently biased against inline 4s and I didn't find the riding position that comfortable.

What I have concluded is that any bike I have in the future will need to have top quality, electronic suspension and cruise control. Once you have had these, there is no turning back to value bikes like the Tracer. The WP system on the TEX and the Sacks (IIRC) system on the RS are excellent. Living in the Cotswolds, where there are some really bumpy sections, I love being able to make the ride a bit more compliant with the simple press of a button.

Funny this thread comes up as i test rode both of these yesterday (albeit short rides) Reason being, i am suffering with my back and somehow considering getting rid of the GS for something a little easier on the back. Started with the RS - felt lighter than the GS from the get go and the steering felt quicker too. Nice bike that i wanted to like BUT after 20 mins i was feeling it on the wrists and elbows and my hips too, means a deal breaker for me..... went back and swapped for the XR. Was a lowered one which gave extra confidence and i like the way you mold into the bike on the sculptured seat. loved the noise and was apprehensive what next! BIG SMILES and chuckles in my lid!! what a bike! never ridden something as rapid as this!! am no speed merchant (top end does nothing for me) but thew acceleration and range of power was addictive...... yes i felt vibes around 70mph and i am going back for a longer ride to see if the bike is worth swapping for, but initial thought is YES!!! will keep you posted!

On my second RS, crashed the first one. Ergo' s were easy sorted. Bar raisers and lowered pegs and sat nav moved above the Speedo.

Back
Top Bottom