Test rides - R1200 RS and S1000XR

Magnet

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well, today myself and Harry the Cat picked up these 2 beauties from Rainbow in Rotherham and took them out for a little run :):

I've been wanting to ride the XR ever since it was launched and have more recently taken an interest in the RS, having really enjoyed riding the 1200 R a few months ago.

Anyway, having ridden through what can best be described as 'variable' weather all day and somehow ending up in Grantham, these are the 'headlines according to me':

XR - tall (ish), similar to my 800GS. Nice upright riding position. Insanely fast. Very low geared - feels like it could do with another 2 gears, will tootle along in 4th or 5th at 30 mph, you can wind it on from there and it just takes off :JB:JB. Quite vibey, particularly between 5 - 6000 rpm where the vibes spread from the bars into the seat. Suspension quite firm. An 'urgent' and revvy sort of ride, I wouldn't get off feeling relaxed if I'd been riding it all day. Overtaking a doddle. Overall enjoyed riding it, but only as an experience, I wouldn't want to ride one everyday.

RS - Lovely :) smooth power delivery, no fuss, just goes fast when you want it to without making a big issue about it. Much higher geared than the XR (and my 800) and a much more relaxed riding experience. Handles really nicely, I felt at home on it within a few minutes. A bit more 'give' in the suspension than the XR and felt better over bumps. Oh, and it looks really nice too :p. The only thing I would have to get used to or do something about is the height of the bars. I'm only really used to riding upright bikes, so the lower bar position felt a bit alien to me. I understand that the bars from the R will fit and at least one of Rainbow's customers have successfully had these fitted (or maybe some risers?). Loved it - when can I have one :)

XR - Similar to how I found it, inline 4 sports bike with flat bars. Think I prefer the characteristics of twin cylinder bikes these days, alhough, am still temped as a change from the GS next time, and it would be a blast for sure.

Good comparison write up in the new(November) RIDE mag, very similar to your findings. They also included the GS along side.

Like the look/colour of the RS, not seen one in the 'flesh'

I walk past Bahnstormer Maidenhead every morning on my way to work and have to sat the RS is the nicest looking bike on the forecourt.
Might just arrange a test ride!

I borrowed an RS while my GSA was being serviced.
In a nutshell: Perfect.
Does it all with ease, the best front end I have ever used on a motorcycle.
I think the GS rage will go forks eventually.
The forks are just so good and with good feedback.

If you want to ride an insane inline 4 with so much power and absolute precise handling then the XR is the only choice. If you want a boxer that is trying to be a bit trick for the old farts then the RS is the way to go.

I moved from a GS to the XR and it's the best fun I've ever had with my trousers on! But, and a big but, bought it cos wifey no longer wants to ride pillion. The XR is IMHO definitely not a two up bike.

Vibes issues are a load of bollocks, no worse than my GS, in town an absolute doddle, fueling is perfect. Put it in dynamic and it's mental:D

It's not an adventure bike, as per BMW classification, it' a solo mental sports tourer! Weather protection get an RT, adventure to Tesco's, get a GSA, not sure where you fit in get the RS.

If you want to ride an insane inline 4 with so much power and absolute precise handling then the XR is the only choice. If you want a boxer that is trying to be a bit trick for the old farts then the RS is the way to go.

I moved from a GS to the XR and it's the best fun I've ever had with my trousers on! But, and a big but, bought it cos wifey no longer wants to ride pillion. The XR is IMHO definitely not a two up bike.

Vibes issues are a load of bollocks, no worse than my GS, in town an absolute doddle, fueling is perfect. Put it in dynamic and it's mental:D

It's not an adventure bike, as per BMW classification, it' a solo mental sports tourer! Weather protection get an RT, adventure to Tesco's, get a GSA, not sure where you fit in get the RS.

The vibes issue isn't bollocks mate. Hundreds of people and a number of journalists and youtubers have picked up on it around 5500 rpm, you may be one of the lucky ones with whatever combo works eg certain NM torqued bars. Still, I'm getting one anyway.

The vibe issue isn't bollocks, but it's not the major issue it was initially reported to be. Most folk have noticed that the vibes have virtually disappeared once they've got a few miles on the clock, as everything has bedded in. The vibration topics on the other forums have now gone very quiet.:thumb

The vibe issue isn't bollocks, but it's not the major issue it was initially reported to be. Most folk have noticed that the vibes have virtually disappeared once they've got a few miles on the clock, as everything has bedded in. The vibration topics on the other forums have now gone very quiet.:thumb

Ok I accept bollocks was a bit strong, but don't really notice them anymore and I'm never at 5500rpm for more than a split second, just pass on through as the gearbox is an absolute dream.

Funnily enough I tried out this combo today.

RS:
Well it's a boxer twin with the LC engine so the engine response is very similar to the GS. The sound is deeper and the ride very different to a GS. It feels firm to me and the front suspension doesn't feel very plush, certainly compared to a telelever bike. Dash is very cramped and the silver bars and top fitting reflect on the dash making it hard to read. You also cannot have a digital speedo and rev counter at the same time which is a shame as the digital speedo is the one thing that is easy to read. I wouldn't fancy having a sat nav in the position the GPS prep is mounted either. It was a nice ride on open sweeping roads but didn't really do anything for me.

XR:
I've tested this before and dismissed it but I took it out again today. The engine loves to be rev'ed and the exhaust note in standard trim is lovely. Handling is great - different to my GS and although the ride is firm it is not uncomfortable. Heated grips were rubbish - I didn't realise they were on full until I looked in the dash. Great bike to ride and I can imagine just loving going out on it just for the ride but not sure if it would be a good everyday bike. Clutch is a bit heavy in traffic and the back of my left leg was getting hot (outside temp was 5C) sitting in traffic for less than 5 minutes. It is a sport bike on stilts so whilst I really did like it for the type of riding I do (plenty of commuting) it probably isn't very sensible. Vibes in the bars around 5,500rpm of the distinctly tingly variety but I guess some miles and heavy bar ends will fix things. If only they'd got rid of that stupid little lip at the front as it looks great until you get round the front. What were the designers thinking? Has to be in red for me - the white looks dull. Why no tyre pressure monitoring?

So, would I swap a GS for either? Probably not. But if I had to choose it between the RS or the XR it would be the XR.

Well, we eventually bought the RS demonstrator from Rainbow. It's been sitting in the garage since January and every time I walked past it I wondered why we had bought it. Took it out last week and today - now i remember why we did. Lovely :D:D:D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 996
Well, we eventually bought the RS demonstrator from Rainbow. It's been sitting in the garage since January and every time I walked past it I wondered why we had bought it. Took it out last week and today - now i remember why we did. Lovely :D:D:D

Are you conjoined twins ? How does that work ?

Was down Bahnstormer in Maidenhead today and they had an Iconic RS awaiting collection. V similar looking to the grey colour scheme with some added bling. Looked nice.

I tried the RS last October. First time I'd ridden a BM so it might have been the new to me sensation of the boxer but I wasn't a fan - it just didn't seem right. Whereas the 1200 just seemed spot on when I tried the GSA for the first time this year.

Luckily, we're all different and its your bike, so enjoy :thumb2

Are you conjoined twins ? How does that work ?

3rd bike in household, for sharing between me and HWMBO. Decision about who is going to ride it to be decided by the 'winner' of the domestic ... :D

Well, great as she was, the RS wasn’t getting ridden enough, so she’s gone.

We swapped her for this :D

Attachments

• 3B0551E7-192D-4F94-B5E6-27D31A8AFCA2.jpg
    3B0551E7-192D-4F94-B5E6-27D31A8AFCA2.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 461
  • E945B5F4-7B71-43DA-9B5A-8C5443A3CEB7.jpg
    E945B5F4-7B71-43DA-9B5A-8C5443A3CEB7.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 435

Back
Top Bottom