Pyrenees June / July 2016

JulesDive

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello folks,

Some friends and I did a great week in the Pyrenees this summer.
It was so good, we want to go back, but this time for longer - a two week trip.

On principles, our thinking is :
  • avoid school holidays :D
  • drink lots of beer (in the evenings) :jager :beerjug:
  • stay away from tourist traps (ie off the beaten track)
  • stay in good value hotels (circa £25 per person per night) - avoid camping as that requires a lot of extra kit / weight / bulk :augie
  • do the twisty roads with green borders on the Michelin maps (scenic routes) :D
  • base ourselves in nice places for a couple days, do day "trips" of circa 150 miles :)
  • a couple of 200 mile days to traverse from one "base" to another :D
  • travel early (eg. leave 8 or 9am) to avoid the heat :nenau
  • split into smaller sub-groups who are evenly matched on pace / stops etc :moped:

We basically did the above this year, and it was absolutely awesome !
Everyone had their own amazing holiday.

The general idea being
week 1
to start at the Atlantic coast, go across the northern "flank" of the Pyrenees, to the Med.
week 2
Then come back along the southern "flank" of the Pyrenees.

We have recce'd some roads / towns / hotels etc. Some amazing roads and canyons. We want to re-visit the best ones.
Aiming to visit Argeles Gazost in the mountains, and Argeles sur Mer (on the med coast), as well as Andorra. Then back via Pamplona.

So far we have 2 of us (both with GS 1200's, one LC one not) from the 8 who did the trip this year, 2 others will probably come, 2 others pondering ...
We would like to invite other like minded GS'ers to join us - see principles above !

I will see if I can do a trip report from this summer's ride, and upload photos etc.
I could not upload photos previously, so may need to post a link to them ...
try this and see if it works ...

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...53&authkey=!AK-gU49rpxukHfI&ithint=folder,jpg

So let us know if you are interested.
The idea being to assess interest and then book things up (ferry / hotel etc) in October and November ...

Cheers, JulesE

Dates now set : Friday 24 June to Sunday 10 July

OK, dates now set. Basically a fortnight in the Pyrenees.
We are taking ferry from Portsmouth to Santander Friday 24 June 2016, arriving in Santander evening of Saturday 25 June.
Coming back, ferry from Santander Saturday 9th July, arriving evening of Sunday 10th July back in Portsmouth.

Week 1 itinerary shaping up as follows :
Head along southern side of Pyrenees on twisty roads, Pamplona across to Sort, N260, staying overnight at a few places.
Through Andorra then over to French med coast near Perpignan ( Argeles sur mer )
South along the coast then back into Pyrenees, to Berga and across to Sort.
Doing day trips from both Berga and Sort (Spanish Pyrenees), maybe rafting etc

Week 2 itinerary outline is:
Sort to Argeles Gazost
Some days in Argeles doing day trips.
Option 1) head to Pamplona for famous bull run
Option 2) a couple of days in NW of Pyrenees on French side, via D918.
Back to Santander via San Sebastian.
Final day riding in another national park with amazing canyons.

I will see if I can post a "graphical" version of the route.

So far its two of us doing the 2 weeks,
Two more will do just one week and the Option 1 (Pamplona bull run).

More riders / tossers welcome !

i'd like to put my name in the pot for this one.
what will be the likely cost of the ferry?

Check for yourself here; http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/

The listed outbound sailing is full, assuming you went on the following day Saturday 25th and got the same return as the rest of the group the fare would be £261.00 to that you may need to add your cabin or reclining seat.

OK, I'm booked to the ferry for the following day, I have a 2 berth cabin for both ways, so if any latecomers want to share it's cool.
I'm obviously 24hrs behind the main group, so will have to catch up to the Sunday evening destination straight from Santander, which I estimate to be about 300 km? So I'll be needing an Address :D
Oh, and I'll be on my old GS 1100 :eek:

Welcome to the trip !

Great to have you onboard for the trip...
I will send you a PM (or two) about locations to meet up and stay on Sunday evening / night.
And thanks for offering to share your cabin with someone else if they want to get on the same sailing as you.

Ok, so I managed to get a cancellation and booked the ferry for the day before, so I will now be on the 17.00 departure on Friday 24th June with the rest of you guys :thumb2

I still have one bunk free in the two birth cabin, so if there is anyone wishing to join the trip they are welcome to chuck in with me, and if prepared to share the cost, then even better.

This will of course be subject to the space available for an extra bike in the hold, which I have no control or knowledge of ;)

Anyone else for the Pyrenees ?

If you don't want to do the day-long ferry trip down to Santander, obviously riding down through France is an option - through some nice wine country! And the same for the trip back.

We will be in the Pyrenees for more or less two weeks, so if people want to join for part of that time, they are welcome to do so.

Jules.

New member here wondering if I might tag along on a ZZR1200? It's silver coloured and from a distance (about half a mile away) it looks like, ahem, a BMW. The trip sounds like a fun one and I would love to join you for at least part of the way - depending on my aching bones and availability of rear tyres. Are you booking hotels / B'n'Bs before setting off or hoping to pull a local senorita as a last resort sort of thing?

Look forward to hearing from you,
Steve.

Hi Steve!
Yes, we are more than happy to accept people on other makes of Bikes (we have a fireblade in the group already, for example).
For us its about the roads and the experience, not really about the badge/brand on the bike.
Of course the wine and beer are important too ! LOL !
I am sure you will have no problem keeping up with us all on a ZZR1200 !
We are going to pre-book hotels in the critical areas (ie those with not much hotel availability).
Currently, we have 3 of us doing the 2 week option, and 4 of us doing the 1 week option.
Cheers, Jules.

Steve
Can you PM me ?
I tried to PM you but I can't.
Maybe your mailbox is full or something ?
Just want to catch up on logistics ... 1 week vs 2 weeks, rendezvous date / place etc
Thanks! Jules.

Hi Jules,

Can't figure out this boards messaging system but I sent you a Skype invite.

Ok to chat there?
Steve

Warm up weekend in Wales : 13-15 May

OK, we are doing a 3 day "warm up" weekend in Wales, 13-15 May. Hopefully the weather will be good !

So far 5 out of 8 on the Pyrenees trip are confirmed, so spaces for others to join if you want to ...

Routes mainly using "Ride" magazine best roads in Europe / UK / Wales.

Meeting near Bristol on afternoon of Friday 13th (what could possibly go wrong !?!?), and travelling over for first night near Brecon.

Cheers, Jules.

Hi Jules, 3 of us off here did the pairofknees last year at that time and twas fantastic, we rode down from calais ( 2 days ) and sooo much better than sitting on that bloody ferry which i did once....... we stayed in Sort and it was 40 degrees that day, thankfully they had a swimming pool :bow. i did put a little vid on the W/C section http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/403308-little-pyrenees-video

4 of us riding to Bolzano this year leaving 24th June as well so we will try and drink more beer and deliver more pi$$ taking than your group.

Great video. Thanks for sharing.
We will try to make a video / photo montage this year.
Enjoy your trip !
Cheers!

8bebca3104b240e3709ba9ef5aa6b716.jpg

9f5b1cb2ab4ef04ee843d4ccf501687e.jpg

b5d3ea99aec1e23cc565c7c647025f9c.jpg

Awesome trip!

sent from planet earth

Back
Top Bottom