Forget the Alps and Ardennes for five minutes....

Did rothenburg last week with the sat nag..cracking place to spend a night and wander around...sit in the square and watch / listen to the musicians busking away..one Bob Marley singister was top bloke. I wholly recommend the night watchman tour which goes from the square at 8.30 pm each night..the watchman speaks in an English accent with a German twist....(he's from Oxford)..follow him around for about an hour as he stops at numerous story telling points around the city...he is very funny and interesting too.... You can do ya Christmas shopping all year round as the huge Christmas shop is open all year..( opening in York in August 2016..). . I thought the romantic road was dull but certain towns were worth a visit if you have time to keep pulling off and wondering around....preferred to head south into Austria and onwards to Stelvio....... Ended up in Interlaken for a couple of days and dropped on a bank hol..every 1st August....brilliant processions through town..cows, long horn players and all sorts of different things...at night 10pm..there was a cracking firework display....I wholly recommend a visit ..... If I could work out how to put bloody photos on here I would do....... Came home through Vosges...fab area, Kaysersburg, Ribeauville.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 643
Did rothenburg last week with the sat nag..cracking place to spend a night and wander around...sit in the square and watch / listen to the musicians busking away..one Bob Marley singister was top bloke. I wholly recommend the night watchman tour which goes from the square at 8.30 pm each night..the watchman speaks in an English accent with a German twist....(he's from Oxford)..follow him around for about an hour as he stops at numerous story telling points around the city...he is very funny and interesting too.... You can do ya Christmas shopping all year round as the huge Christmas shop is open all year..( opening in York in August 2016..). . I thought the romantic road was dull but certain towns were worth a visit if you have time to keep pulling off and wondering around....preferred to head south into Austria and onwards to Stelvio....... Ended up in Interlaken for a couple of days and dropped on a bank hol..every 1st August....brilliant processions through town..cows, long horn players and all sorts of different things...at night 10pm..there was a cracking firework display....I wholly recommend a visit ..... If I could work out how to put bloody photos on here I would do....... Came home through Vosges...fab area, Kaysersburg, Ribeauville.....
".........................................................................................

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 619
Last time we were in Rothenburg we went to the town's oldest restaurant for dinner. We didn't have a reservation and the Lass who greeted us seemed frustrated so when she said "Oh, you can sit on the english speaking table" we felt we were being treated like second class citizens.

It turned out that a group of elderly locals who had been held in England as POWs meet once in a while to practise English conversation. One old boy who had been held in Lincolnshire was stoked by the fact we were from Norfolk and let us ply him with drink all night. He showed us his photo collection (he'd obviously done this before) and told us fascinating stories of the other people around the table and their experiences as POWs in England.

All in all we had an utterly superb evening and enjoyed a truly unique and (mostly) memorable experience :beer: :beer:

PS, I didn't think much of the romantike strasse route other than the places it visits.

We spent an evening at the English Conversation Club too. I can't remember the name of the old guy who was the POW in Lincolnshire in 1945/46, but he'd become quite a local celebrity from being a poor soldier :p

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...nburg_Middle_Franconia_Franconia_Bavaria.html

f22917073137c473bbcaf47b271b645b.jpg

He seems to be enjoying himself there right enough! One or two wistful memories there methinks! :D

.... and shift your carcasses to the Altmuehltal

Another good region is Der Spessart
There used to be a big military training ground at Wildflecken that I used to go to, but all the Spessart range has good twisties.

Just a tiny bit North of this area Bamberg looks very interesting.

Also Bernkastel on the East side of the Mosel, small but very old and lovley,
And Seligenstadt on the West side of the River Main, again small but a lovely town center.

We do love Germany :thumb2

I did the full Romantische Strasse last year. Great route.

Great place, so much better than here.

Oh come on, Lancashire's not that sh*t really and God's county is only a couple of miles up the road from you at the other side of Blacko :p

Lovely as the old towns on the Romantische Strasse are, Northern England and Scotland offer much better riding

Yes and Nelson is a couple of miles in the opposite direction

Anyway. The new border is further than that

As a proud Yorkshireman, I don't recognise the post-1974 administrative borders :comfort

Back
Top Bottom