Zumo 550 help, losing the will to live

bobsnew

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 550 with life time maps, I recently completed a Euro tour and all functioned well, i am planning to extend into Poland/Austria next year and decided to update my maps, there was insufficient space to accommodate the data on my Zumo so installed using to the 4 gig card using map install,
when i try to use the device with card installed it begins to start up then shuts down obviously a conflict with the data, i have tried fat 32 and fat 30 formatting and neither makes any difference. Using the device without the card it starts up ok, but view map shows no roads at all, Map info shows- CN Europe NT 2016.10 when I try to search an address it comes up with "Unable to Calculate Route to destination" Plugging into Garmin express shows all up to date. Getting really frustrated with it now after 2 days of searching various forums and no success, any idea anyone.:nenau

I have a 550 with life time maps, I recently completed a Euro tour and all functioned well, i am planning to extend into Poland/Austria next year and decided to update my maps, there was insufficient space to accommodate the data on my Zumo so installed using to the 4 gig card using map install,
when i try to use the device with card installed it begins to start up then shuts down obviously a conflict with the data, i have tried fat 32 and fat 30 formatting and neither makes any difference. Using the device without the card it starts up ok, but view map shows no roads at all, Map info shows- CN Europe NT 2016.10 when I try to search an address it comes up with "Unable to Calculate Route to destination" Plugging into Garmin express shows all up to date. Getting really frustrated with it now after 2 days of searching various forums and no success, any idea anyone.:nenau
those people at garmin have usually been helpful, send 'em an email... use "my garmin" so you give them all the data off the 550 automatically to save you the bother of getting serial no. etc
by the way, a 4gb card may not be big enough these days, even if there appears to be enough spare space...also try update thru pc first and then update device from pc its quicker usually..

Sounds like an SD card issue. All your maps are now on this card. How are you formatting the card? PC or Mac?

Any chance of trying a different card or using a downloaded formatting tool off the web?

I will try and find another suitable card, As the memory is already full on the Zumo, I didn't think It would accept any more maps ?

Start with the easy thing first.

Get yourself a brand new, fresh out of the packet, SD card of say 8 gig, formatted to FAT 32.

Install the maps onto it.

See if it works.

If it does, great. Job done.

If it doesn't, return here with a clear and simple explanation of the steps you took and all any subsequent problems / error messages you received. Leave out all the theatricals.

You'll not be the first person who has loaded maps onto an SD card and then into a 550 device. Theirs work, so it's easy to guess that yours should, too.

Start with the easy thing first.

Get yourself a brand new, fresh out of the packet, SD card of say 8 gig, formatted to FAT 32.

Install the maps onto it.

See if it works.

If it does, great. Job done.

If it doesn't, return here with a clear and simple explanation of the steps you took and all any subsequent problems / error messages you received. Leave out all the theatricals.

You'll not be the first person who has loaded maps onto an SD card and then into a 550 device. Theirs work, so it's easy to guess that yours should, too.

Waiting for PC World to open :thumby:

I have Zumo up & running again:thumb, but it still had conflict with the new card and wouldn't load with card in, followed some of this guys clip & presto :clap

Sat Nav malfunction can be more stressful than moving house or divorce !!

A quick suggestion: do you have both the maps on the Zumo's internal storage and the maps on the SD card selected? To check, touch the spanner icon then look for something to select maps. On my Zumo 350 it's Settings, then Map and Vehicle then myMaps. Your 550 will probably be different but the principle is the same. If my guess is correct, you'll see two map descriptions, each with a box with a big tick in it. Untick the internal storage one (probably the upper one on the screen) and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom