Watsonian Monaco

Deleted account 200123001

Reaction score
I've managed to get my grubby mits on a 10 year old sidecar...c/w the original purchase receipt from 2005.

IMG_20150927_170542_zpsqb88qsel.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The paintwork is a bit flat, a quick spot check with T cut then polish revealed that its okay under the dull finish.
Came with a fitting kit for an airhead.

The hunt now begins for a suitable bike to fix it to.

I'm in no rush to source a bike as realistically unlikely to get the weather for any family rides in this year which is its main purpose.

There is what I'd like to pair it with and what I can realistically pair it with.

I'd like to stick it to another 1150gs as we all know its not the easiest bike to fix things like this to.

Whilst I could draw up all the custom pieces and get them cut, shaped, drilled and tapped etc, it's still reliant on a competent welder.
Since I sit squarely in the virgin welder territory it not something I'm comfortable learning to arc weld on.
Couple this with, I would like to fit a more meaty alloy wheel, the steel 12" just doesn't cut it.
That wheel arch and lighting is also very dated.

I'd be quite happy to pay someone to make me the necessary bits that I could just bolt on and off to a standard bike.

The cop out is to use a 1200 bandit S, they are changing hands (actual sales) for silly low money at the moment.
The brackets provided suit a tube framed engine.
I'm fairly confident I can bolt these two together and away I go fairly quickly and easily.

There will also be the issue of the steering to solve too.

Lots of thinking and researching to do now.

Now just between you and me I quite like the Monaco.

I had a Palma attached to a CX500 for some time and as you know that bike didn't have much of a frame either what with the engine itself being a stressed member.

I do remember that later in their history Watsonian did a GS4 chair that got hitched to a few 1150s however I've no idea if any of that fitting kit is still around, might form the basis of a template if it was tho'?

I've managed to get my grubby mits on a 10 year old sidecar...c/w the original purchase receipt from 2005.

IMG_20150927_170542_zpsqb88qsel.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The paintwork is a bit flat, a quick spot check with T cut then polish revealed that its okay under the dull finish.
Came with a fitting kit for an airhead.

The hunt now begins for a suitable bike to fix it to.

I'm in no rush to source a bike as realistically unlikely to get the weather for any family rides in this year which is its main purpose.

There is what I'd like to pair it with and what I can realistically pair it with.

I'd like to stick it to another 1150gs as we all know its not the easiest bike to fix things like this to.

Whilst I could draw up all the custom pieces and get them cut, shaped, drilled and tapped etc, it's still reliant on a competent welder.
Since I sit squarely in the virgin welder territory it not something I'm comfortable learning to arc weld on.
Couple this with, I would like to fit a more meaty alloy wheel, the steel 12" just doesn't cut it.
That wheel arch and lighting is also very dated.

I'd be quite happy to pay someone to make me the necessary bits that I could just bolt on and off to a standard bike.

The cop out is to use a 1200 bandit S, they are changing hands (actual sales) for silly low money at the moment.
The brackets provided suit a tube framed engine.
I'm fairly confident I can bolt these two together and away I go fairly quickly and easily.

There will also be the issue of the steering to solve too.

Lots of thinking and researching to do now.

There are many manufacturers of sidecar sub-frames to fit the GS,most are in Germany,others, such as EZS and Triptek, are in Netherlands. Triptek has a UK agent,Scotia Sidecars. DMC in Eminclaw USA also makes sub-frames.left and right handed, for the GS range. Not to forget Wasp,based in Berwick St James,near Salisbury. Wasp has a long sidecar pedigree(especially with regards to leading link front forks).

Twistgrip

I always thought the Moto guzzi Breva 1100, would be the ideal bike to fix a chair too,

loads of torque, and a tubular chassis,

easy to service, and cheap to buy in the first place!

2B4CB70A7A2C4C84DBB82B4C84DA4F.jpg

Thanks everyone for your pointers and leads, I'm very greatful.

I've bought Sgt Bilco's old Millenord to raz around for the winter leaving the GS free to be used as a mock up machine if necessary.
Although with the leads below now, would having two 1150's make me Greedy?

Quite liking the idea of selling the millenord after winter now and putting some more cash to it and getting an Adventure....COOL!

I do remember that later in their history Watsonian did a GS4 chair that got hitched to a few 1150s however I've no idea if any of that fitting kit is still around, might form the basis of a template if it was tho'?
Many thanks that’s very helpful, I'll look into that and see what's involved.

There are many manufacturers of sidecar sub-frames to fit the GS,most are in Germany,others, such as EZS and Triptek, are in Netherlands. Triptek has a UK agent,Scotia Sidecars. DMC in Eminclaw USA also makes sub-frames.left and right handed, for the GS range. Not to forget Wasp,based in Berwick St James,near Salisbury. Wasp has a long sidecar pedigree(especially with regards to leading link front forks).
Twistgrip
Great thanks, if there is something proprietary then that’s ideal.

Another option is to throw it at Rod Young http://www.threewheelsbetter.uk/
He's fitted chairs to a couple of airheads and likes a challenge :green gri
Now that really is ideal…like that idea, as much as I’d like the challenge to do it myself with everything else that’s going on winter will quickly disappear.

Go Guzzi
Favoured by scousers and hippys alike
I really like that, I wish I’d bought that the last time it came up for sale on here. Really nice.

Knew I had a piccie somewhere :) I owned this one about two years ago - sorry no set up details etc...that is a Wasp front end. You still have all the fittings for an airhead as well ?

Attachments

• R100RT.jpg
    R100RT.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 3,528
You still have all the fittings for an airhead as well ?

Yes Kenny, the guy had a lovely GS PD in the garage and I think it was an r80s which he used for the chairs.

The rig was his only transport for him and the wife before she died. As it was only him he put a smaller chair on.

I'm not sure whether the fitting kit was bike specific or not its certainly intended for a tubular chassis 3 point mounting and one welded mounting.

+1 Guzzi, loads of torque and a long wheelbase to offset the chair steering the bike.

Update:

The project is now gaining traction at last after sitting in the garage for a few months.

Order now placed for a subframe to suit the 1150 with fitting booked in for the end of march.

I'm not using the 1150 at the moment, the brakes are getting a major overhaul with new hoses and piston and seal replacements.
The good old paint on the underside of the cylinders is cracking and peeling, so will touch that up since it just breaks off.
The front cover is also looking a bit ropey in places so time to nip that in the bud!
The rockers are also due a balance too.

Looking into alloy wheel conversions now for the sidecar as well either austin/rover mini wheel or similar or even an 1100/1150 alloy or spoked wheel.
I'd like to get some ground clearance under the chair for any potential excursion off the tarmac so a larger wheel would certainly help.

Dust off this old thread for a few updates.

The blue and white 1150 has had the paint touched up at the front now, I just need to extract the corroded and unusable studs. Waiting for a stud extractor set to arrive.
The breaks have all been rebuilt with new pistons and seals and goodrich hoses.

I sourced an 17" alloy wheel from a modern MG that has a 4x100 PCD. The sidecars hub is all over the place and the wheel is not fitting on very well despite having been run on a lathe.

So I've resorted to trying to file it into shape using this very crude rig.

7a312185-61c5-4f18-810d-a67d72286213_zpsc0ai8nqn.jpg

It worked pretty well but it's slow progress.

Its on just enough now so be able to accurately measure the depth of spacer I need to be able to fit the wheel as the inner rim will foul on the sidecar chassis. It was a 12" steel wheel originally.

I'm hopefull I cant find a spacer (possibly renault) than has a larger ID saving any more filing down.

The body is currently in for spraying by a friend of mine and is due back in a few weeks painted the same blue as the GS. I went for plain met blue in the end rather than trying to match the design on the tank.

Then the big job starts. Fitting the sub frame and joining the two.

Another brief update for anyone thats interested.

Some substantial progress has been made since the last update.

The 17" MG wheel has been replaced with a Kosei 17" item with a larger 67mmID to suit nissan 4 stud applications. This also has a better offset. It's in place but the actual PCD is 102mm rather than 100mm so the imperial 11/16th nuts do not seat properly. So I'm going to fit some M12 bolts and adjust the hub to give a 100mm pcd.

The subframe is all in place but is not painted yet while I'm tinkering with the side car connections.

The tub is almost painted now and I'm expecting it back anytime.

The sidecar chassis is laid up next to the bike and I can get three mounting points to work with some minor adjustments, I just need to buy some proprietary fittings to make up connections 4 and 5 so its looking promising.

First mock up using the existing fitting kit

second iteration

The new allow wheel.

Just needs a spacer fitting in addition to the clio brake disc to stop the tyre fouling on the chassis.

Now moving as one.

4366b0f2-9ccd-4c9f-a016-e8fbc2711273_zpsawypzunm.jpg

I'm waiting for some M16 nuts and washers to fix an eyebolt into the n/s lower subframe. This wll allow me to attatch the 5th strut that will go from the middle of this S/F to the front lower mounting of the sidecar creating and triangular arrangement.

From the bracketing I'm not so sure it's well braced enough to offset the torsional effects between the sidecar and bike.
This may need more thought and some testing.

The tub is back from painting and looks fantastic in the same met blue as the bike.

I've sourced all the lights for it now.
I'm just waiting for the steel to arrive so I can add the brackets to mount the mudguard and rear light.
The cable for lighting wiring and is also on the way.

Hopefully this weekend I'll take the plunge and try to reset the PCD. If it all goes horribly wrong and I get vibration in the wheel I may have to just replace the hub and start again by buying some trailer suspension units and come up with a new plan.

The larger wheel is needed really to raise the sidecar up having it on the standard wheel would mean I'd have to get fabbed up a load of new struts as most would be too short.

The Adventure rear shock turned up yesterday so that ready and waiting now in the event that I need to reduce trail following a road test.

I'm going to refit the exhaust now as well to make sure that all goes on. Also need to make up some lugs to mount the y pipe as I needed to remove the stand brackets and dont want to hack them up so I can revert the bike if needs be without having to buy new brackets.

Matching Caravan?

Remember and include a towbar - and then you can make your matching caravan to complete the package:thumb

Cheers................Grizzly:beerjug:

Attachments

• IMG_0030_2_1.jpg
    IMG_0030_2_1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,646
  • IMG_0031_2_1.jpg
    IMG_0031_2_1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,613
Road test ready at last!

After crashing out numerous bitty jobs that needed doing I finally got to have a ride of the rig....weird...really, very weird....but in a good way!

Still quite a few jobs little jobs to do and tweeks to make but then isnt there always.

Road test ready at last!

After crashing out numerous bitty jobs that needed doing I finally got to have a ride of the rig....weird...really, very weird....but in a good way!

Years ago I had a Panther 120 (650cc) outfit with a Watsonian Monza chair. I'd bought it in Colwyn Bay and was riding it enthusiastically back to Anglesey, along (what was then) the twisty coast road. I thought I was heading too fast into a right hander so rolled off the throttle and very quickly found myself heading into the opposite carriageway. It terrified me, my passenger and an oncoming car driver. So, if you haven't ridden an outfit before be careful what you do with the throttle and brakes in corners :rob.

Years ago I had a Panther 120 (650cc) outfit with a Watsonian Monza chair. I'd bought it in Colwyn Bay and was riding it enthusiastically back to Anglesey, along (what was then) the twisty coast road. I thought I was heading too fast into a right hander so rolled off the throttle and very quickly found myself heading into the opposite carriageway. It terrified me, my passenger and an oncoming car driver. So, if you haven't ridden an outfit before be careful what you do with the throttle and brakes in corners :rob.

HaHa, Reminds me of my first ride on an outfit. The M60 to the M62 was one of the more scary bits I seem to remember. :eek:

Val.

Ive been riding motorbikes for 50 years! yeah I know. But I've never been near an outfit, but I recon it looks great fun, if a tad scary. Maybe one day.
Yours looks a great job. Bit technical setting it all up by the looks.

Back
Top Bottom