Sluggish starting? Might not be the battery ...

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have an idea where the battery earth goes, as there is so much stuff in the way to have a proper look ? would it be the engine or the frame, and if so where about ? is it bolted to the gearbox ? also the posi lead too where does that run to from the battery ?

It's mentioned earlier. The earth is on top of the engine under the back of the alternator. Its a common area for corrosion.

Great info thanks OP .
Just bought a 2011 gs , it was slow turning over to the point of I didn't think it would start. I replaced the battery and no better. It had a big oddesy battery on it so I presume the last owner tried to remedy this slow turn over problem with a big ass bat . It was slow turning over hot or cold.
So I removed the starter , and stripped it as per the guide. It didn't look all that bad in there but I cleaned it up anyway, I didn't replace the brushes because I thought the starter was easy to remove so if there's no improvement I could replace them later and try again. I did slide some emery cloth onto the 22 mm socket od that was holding back the brushes in the brush holder and span it around a few times to flatten off and de glaze the brush ends. Then cleaned it with carb cleaner to get the grit and shit out.
I cleaned up the brass bit that the brushes run on and cleaned out the grooves between the brass contacts. Cleaned the gearbox out and re greased it.

Re fitted it all and fuck me it worked. Turns over like new now.

I took the same approach. It might have been a bit better but not a lot. However the engine always started so no worries. In my case it was a warning of starter motor decline. Eventually it behaved like a flat battery regardless of how many jump leads it had.
Reconditioned starter from Motorworks and all was good again.

I took the same approach. It might have been a bit better but not a lot. However the engine always started so no worries. In my case it was a warning of starter motor decline. Eventually it behaved like a flat battery regardless of how many jump leads it had.
Reconditioned starter from Motorworks and all was good again.

Very similar story here, except dropping the starter motor mid way through the rebuild definitely didn't help matters. Mine stopped working altogether when hot, and was very sluggish when cold. I got an Arrowhead (brand) pattern starter motor to replace the OEM one, and all is good.

Very similar story here, except dropping the starter motor mid way through the rebuild definitely didn't help matters. Mine stopped working altogether when hot, and was very sluggish when cold. I got an Arrowhead (brand) pattern starter motor to replace the OEM one, and all is good.

I was going to buy a service kit for my sluggish Bosch starter (2010GSA) but might consider treating the old girl to a brand new starter as I'm in a good mood :) Has anyone else bought an Arrowhead starter and how has it been?

I can’t comment on Arrowhead but the remanufactured starter from Motorworks is really only adequate.
It always starts (even in sub zero temperatures) but has not got the oomph of the original.
Before anyone chimes in about crap batteries - that was with Odyssey battery and jump leads to prove it wasn’t a power issue.
I need the bike most days so sending it back wasn’t an option and it does do the job.

I can’t comment on Arrowhead but the remanufactured starter from Motorworks is really only adequate.
It always starts (even in sub zero temperatures) but has not got the oomph of the original.
Before anyone chimes in about crap batteries - that was with Odyssey battery and jump leads to prove it wasn’t a power issue.
I need the bike most days so sending it back wasn’t an option and it does do the job.

Yeah I'd ruled out the re-manufactured one - figured I could do that myself so the choice was either DIY refurb, or splash out on a nice shiny Arrowhead starter. Still hoping someone on here has an Arrowhead fitted and can feed back whether its given any issues (looks like they have a 2 year warranty)....

An Arrowhead is about £160 i think.

I went for a reman Valeo - so oem fit

£140 inc free delivery and no cc surcharges

I was going to buy a service kit for my sluggish Bosch starter (2010GSA) but might consider treating the old girl to a brand new starter as I'm in a good mood :) Has anyone else bought an Arrowhead starter and how has it been?
Yes I got an Arrowhead. Its been on the bike about year and 15,000 miles now. All still good. It wasn't quite a direct replacement for the bosch one as it is slightly bigger (longer) more like a valeo but it fits in with a bit of wiggle and some choreography.

Yes I got an Arrowhead. Its been on the bike about year and 15,000 miles now. All still good. It wasn't quite a direct replacement for the bosch one as it is slightly bigger (longer) more like a valeo but it fits in with a bit of wiggle and some choreography.

Just fitting an Arrowhead starter (£130, FOC shipping off fleabay), and can't seem to get the black plastic cover on - the thread on the positive post doesn't go all the way to the end (as it does on the OE starter) so the nut can't pick up the thread. It's a bit of tight working area and it's smegging hot out here today so I might just slather the wiring with vaseline for now, until I find the patience to have another go at getting the cover on. Did you manage to get the black plastic cover back on yours without modifying it?

Hi vee5
Did you find a solution to the black cover not fitting?
Just fitted an Arrowhead and the black cover on my 2012 TC will not fit!
Just wondered if you have a solution or did you just forget the cover!!
Cheers
Paul

Just fitting an Arrowhead starter (£130, FOC shipping off fleabay), and can't seem to get the black plastic cover on - the thread on the positive post doesn't go all the way to the end (as it does on the OE starter) so the nut can't pick up the thread. It's a bit of tight working area and it's smegging hot out here today so I might just slather the wiring with vaseline for now, until I find the patience to have another go at getting the cover on. Did you manage to get the black plastic cover back on yours without modifying it?

ummm, I don't remember having any particular trouble fitting it once I had it in the frame, so I guess I either managed ok or didn't bother with it. I will have a check in the morning.

Yes I checked. TBH I cant really remember what the old starter looked like but the only black covers are the nut covers on the two electrical connectors. Hmmm, memory kicking in now, there was a cover that was bolted on and no its not fitted now so I must have got as far as you did and gave up with it. Anyway, 15,000+ miles and its all still ok. Pic taken the other day.....

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 135
Are you on about the plastic silver decorative cover that sits over the starter.

Ommited on later models -

Just corosion protect the nuts / threads and pop a cap on the end of the live nut to prevent shorts to earth

On the Bosch starter fitted to my 2012 TC there was a black plastic cover which slides over the solenoid part, my guess is to keep crap of it.
That's the part that would not fit so left off. I have the black cover on the nut and the spade connector has a black cover on - the same as in Austin's photo.
IIRC the large silver cover was fitted to earlier models.
Anyway the starter is spinning the bike like a good un so lets hope that's the job done for another 50,000 miles!!
For info - There are Arrowhead starters a lot cheaper on Ebay than Motorworks but MW do give a full two year warranty not sure about the Ebay items!
Cheers for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom