Long term Autocom user considering move over to Bluetooth any advice please?

Hello all,

I have been watching this post very carefully and up until this post I continued happily along with my hardwired autocom setup.

That's now changed and I have just entered the 'wireless zone'!!!!

It my birthday this month and the missus has just bought me the interphone F5MC twin kit, this one suits my usage the best

All of the advice has been a real lesson and invaluable, thanks to those that gave it and to roadcraft-rider for asking the question

Cheers

H

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

Hutchy

Let us know how you get on with them fella.

Sent using Tapatalk

My wife finds the boom and mic annoying on the current Autocom setup, shame as it works well. So after far too much Googling/YouTubing I ordered a pair of Uclear HBC100+. They've not arrived yet but when they do I'll post some thoughts.

Hi guys, sorry to resurrect this thread did think about starting a new thread, but this has been really useful so to all who contributed thanks.

So bit the bullet earlier this year and bought a Scala packtalk duo kit, now by my own admission and not being negative about the packtalk I probably didn't give the kit enough time to get used to it. But I found it hard to set up, not intuitive, too easy to switch the radio on and found it to be a massive distraction whilst riding, having to fiddle with it all the time. I know there are a lot of happy users out there but I couldn't get on with it and quickly got rid of them.

So back to Autocom it was, right up until a second SPA circuit board packed up in May this year. So after quite a lot more reading up on this cracking forum decided to have another dabble with Bluetooth.

This time got hold of a pair of Sena S20's pronounced 'Seeena' (that's an important tip by the way).

Well talk about chalk and cheese, easy set up, very simple to use, once on you just don't need to mess with it. Great Volume and really good distance bike to bike. Really different to be able to have a two way conversation not one way over and out radio stuff.

Very impressive, more impressive is the duration the charge lasts. Redrick of this parish and I are pretty much converted to these, don't know why we haven't tried em before.

We have found the best set up is to pair phone to Nav 5 and Sena to Nav 5 don't let the phone recognise the Sena. Never a dropped connection and to be honest better quality sound than the Autocom, do I miss a headset lead do I Eck.

With regards cost, let's call it £170 a set, sounds expensive! Well not trying to justify it but between Rick and I this year excluding the cost of another SPA board, we have had to replace one PTT switch £48, one Bluetooth module £75 one headset loom and mic £48 one replacement 900mm Lead £17.

Very impressed so far can't see the reason to go back to wired anytime soon.

Thanks to all the guys on here that have posted their experiences good and bad regarding this new technology.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi guys, sorry to resurrect this thread did think about starting a new thread, but this has been really useful so to all who contributed thanks.

So bit the bullet earlier this year and bought a Scala packtalk duo kit, now by my own admission and not being negative about the packtalk I probably didn't give the kit enough time to get used to it. But I found it hard to set up, not intuitive, too easy to switch the radio on and found it to be a massive distraction whilst riding, having to fiddle with it all the time. I know there are a lot of happy users out there but I couldn't get on with it and quickly got rid of them.

So back to Autocom it was, right up until a second SPA circuit board packed up in May this year. So after quite a lot more reading up on this cracking forum decided to have another dabble with Bluetooth.

This time got hold of a pair of Sena S20's pronounced 'Seeena' (that's an important tip by the way).

Well talk about chalk and cheese, easy set up, very simple to use, once on you just don't need to mess with it. Great Volume and really good distance bike to bike. Really different to be able to have a two way conversation not one way over and out radio stuff.

Very impressive, more impressive is the duration the charge lasts. Redrick of this parish and I are pretty much converted to these, don't know why we haven't tried em before.

We have found the best set up is to pair phone to Nav 5 and Sena to Nav 5 don't let the phone recognise the Sena. Never a dropped connection and to be honest better quality sound than the Autocom, do I miss a headset lead do I Eck.

With regards cost, let's call it £170 a set, sounds expensive! Well not trying to justify it but between Rick and I this year excluding the cost of another SPA board, we have had to replace one PTT switch £48, one Bluetooth module £75 one headset loom and mic £48 one replacement 900mm Lead £17.

Very impressed so far can't see the reason to go back to wired anytime soon.

Thanks to all the guys on here that have posted their experiences good and bad regarding this new technology.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have one of these thanks to Russ 996.
Look forward to riding with you again soon (get Rick to organize another trip!) so I can put it to the test again soon.

I have one of these thanks to Russ 996.
Look forward to riding with you again soon (get Rick to organize another trip!) so I can put it to the test again soon.

You have talked me into it and will look at something for may time next year !

As for the Senna things I can only confirm what Andy says so far they have not dropped a connection, range is good bike to bike and IMO better for playing music through than the autocom was. In fairness to the autocom i think the failing lays with it having to play catchup with blue tooth tech like the Nav 5 and having to have another component in the mix I.E the BT unit.

Anyway very happy with the Senna so far

Is there now a bluetooth comms set that will allow the following, i need to be able to listen to the nav (music and directions) talk and listen to the big gal on the back she would also need to listen to music and directions,and also talk and listen to me, and it would need to accept in ear monitors, all this would be at the same time without pressing any buttons or faffing around.

"Is there now a bluetooth comms set that will allow the following," Sena 10R with the ear bud adapter works a treat

"Is there now a bluetooth comms set that will allow the following," Sena 10R with the ear bud adapter works a treat

so it will do all the above without an issue. simultaneously. having read about this the first stumbling block i read is, Use the remote or the 10R buttons to operate it.

does all that plus pmr radio as well,just gone from Autocom to this and I like the no wires headset, bluetooth 4 take a look

so it will do all the above without an issue. simultaneously. having read about this the first stumbling block i read is, Use the remote or the 10R buttons to operate it.

I don't understand what the handle bar remote button is for??

So the pillion also hears the GPS instructions as well? I hope that is true:beerjug:

Handlebar remote is to replicate the functions available on the sena unit, but without having to take a hand of the bars, in theory!

reviews seem to be mixed, I did consider getting the Wristband remote, (only because I find small buttons a fiddle if I cant see them!) it seemed to make sense to have the remote with you when off bike, as the comms still work as you walk around (helmet on) say at a garage, as i discovered to my amusement on a recent tour in europe!

having said that, the main reason for touching the sena it is to hit jog button to switch music on or off, as I dont have phone paired to it.(or when the BT connection to another headset drops out, ( eh, Richard!)

sena does lots of functions which sound great, but I do not need (as an example, FM radio) which I find all gets in the way of the riding

the sena website has access to help desk which leads you to a sort of forum with Q&A section, its not "brilliant" but compared with say, Garmin, or Autocom websites is quite useful
HTH

does all that plus pmr radio as well,just gone from Autocom to this and I like the no wires headset, bluetooth 4 take a look

That would be my aim to get rid of the wires, and also not have to press buttons to swap from say, comms to music/nav, how is the unit on the riders helmet linked to the pillions to acheive all this, does it link via bluetooth to the rider, or is there another way. and do you lose music and nav when talking, sorry for all the questions, i just have doubts. The set up i have at the moment, apart from having the wires is a very good setup and does all i want and more.

Handlebar remote is to replicate the functions available on the sena unit, but without having to take a hand of the bars, in theory!

reviews seem to be mixed, I did consider getting the Wristband remote, (only because I find small buttons a fiddle if I cant see them!) it seemed to make sense to have the remote with you when off bike, as the comms still work as you walk around (helmet on) say at a garage, as i discovered to my amusement on a recent tour in europe!

having said that, the main reason for touching the sena it is to hit jog button to switch music on or off, as I dont have phone paired to it.(or when the BT connection to another headset drops out, ( eh, Richard!)

sena does lots of functions which sound great, but I do not need (as an example, FM radio) which I find all gets in the way of the riding

the sena website has access to help desk which leads you to a sort of forum with Q&A section, its not "brilliant" but compared with say, Garmin, or Autocom websites is quite useful
HTH

OK thanks, don't need that then!

Once they sort the pillion being able to hear everything the rider can might give it a go although the Autocom still works very well

So do the helmet Bluetooth units need to be charged up overnight after a full days riding,
Wot appens if you are away camping and don't have access to mains electric ?

That would be my aim to get rid of the wires, and also not have to press buttons to swap from say, comms to music/nav, how is the unit on the riders helmet linked to the pillions to acheive all this, does it link via bluetooth to the rider, or is there another way. and do you lose music and nav when talking, sorry for all the questions, i just have doubts. The set up i have at the moment, apart from having the wires is a very good setup and does all i want and more.

I was a confirmed autocom user, the sena is better!

MULTITASKS, SO YOU CAN CONCENTRATE ON THE MOST IMPORTANT TASK
Choose what you want to hear with Audio Multitasking™

Sena 20S Audio Multitasking™ technology allows you to have an intercom conversation while simultaneously listening to music, FM radio, or GPS. No longer do users have to deal with the frustrations of interruption-based audio functions of past Bluetooth communication devices. Now audio features won’t interrupt each other but simply overlay for a smooth listening experience. Enrich your ride with interweaving audio sources.

unquote
http://www.sena.com/product/20s/

and the manual covers most of your concerns.

http://www.sena.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/UsersGuide_20S_v1.6_en_160922.pdf

But it is not yet all singing and all dancing!

https://support.sena.com/entries/70...PS-between-headsets-similar-to-music-sharing-

So do the helmet Bluetooth units need to be charged up overnight after a full days riding,
Wot appens if you are away camping and don't have access to mains electric ?

well, my choice would be stay in a hotel, but if you must be a tentist, then there is a handy lead that enables you to plug in and charge the sena from your bike power take off socket.:thumb2

I was a confirmed autocom user, the sena is better!

MULTITASKS, SO YOU CAN CONCENTRATE ON THE MOST IMPORTANT TASK
Choose what you want to hear with Audio Multitasking™

Sena 20S Audio Multitasking™ technology allows you to have an intercom conversation while simultaneously listening to music, FM radio, or GPS. No longer do users have to deal with the frustrations of interruption-based audio functions of past Bluetooth communication devices. Now audio features won’t interrupt each other but simply overlay for a smooth listening experience. Enrich your ride with interweaving audio sources.

unquote
http://www.sena.com/product/20s/

and the manual covers most of your concerns.

http://www.sena.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/UsersGuide_20S_v1.6_en_160922.pdf

But it is not yet all singing and all dancing!

https://support.sena.com/entries/70...PS-between-headsets-similar-to-music-sharing-

so not all there yet, but not far off, the other concern is, there seems to be a lot of people on senas forum complaining about the lack of waterproofing on the unit.

Back
Top Bottom