Fuel filler cap issues on 2016 GSA with keyless...

GS-Jonesy

Reaction score
Morning all

Went to fill up the bike for the first time after 280 blissful miles and...fuel filler cap refused to budge. After trying both the short and long process (as detailed in the handbook) multiple times I gave it up as a bad job and called BMW.

The tech I spoke to obviously thought I was a numpty (hardly blame him) and talked me through the process over the phone but all this did was prove it was not user error.

Luckily there was enough fuel to get the bike back to the dealer so it's now with Lind Motorrad in Norwich and will hopefully be sorted for me to ride it home later.

They told me this was the first issue of this kind they had encountered with keyless (bike and ignition working fine but fuel filler cap permanently locked). Anyone else had similar issues? Wondering if the good old fashioned key would have been the more prudent choice. When it happens 1/2 mile from home its no big deal but if it happened whilst away on a trip I would be royally pissed off!

only once, i had trouble closing the filler cap. the mechanism had stuck open slightly so pushed it back with my finger and worked fine since.

Funny how, when you do have an issue with anything no one else ever has...

Well according to BMW or Harley Davidson anyway.

They always say we've never had this problem reported before with any error, it's the standard response. They just won't ever admit there could be a inherent design flaw

They must think we are all stupid

No issues as yet. Won't open if bike 'on'

I have had my bike for a couple of weeks and I really, really don't like keyless ride.

I like mine but had to have a couple of recoveries due to 'software glitches and battery issues' which meant that, with keyless, you can't even switch the bike on.

Also had issues with the kill / starter button stiffening up and has been replaced three times in less than twelve months.

Otherwise no problems

I like mine but had to have a couple of recoveries due to 'software glitches and battery issues' which meant that, with keyless, you can't even switch the bike on.

Also had issues with the kill / starter button stiffening up and has been replaced three times in less than twelve months.

Otherwise no problems

And BMW charge extra for keyless :blast

:)

General faffery of making really simple mechanical stuff like steering locks and fuel caps electric. Can you disengage the steering lock with a flat battery??

Plus my Bro managed to ride off on it when I was having a cup of tea. Engine doesn't cut out.

No issues as yet. Won't open if bike 'on'

I have had my bike for a couple of weeks and I really, really don't like keyless ride.

At first I thought it was really cool...but the more I think about it the more I am unsure. This issue with the fuel filler cap has obviously impacted my confidence in the system, but I'm also worried about the range that the fob activates the ignition. BMW told me that the max range was 2m but I managed to start the bike this weekend at a range of approx 6 meters. Bit worried about how secure the bike is if I'm sitting in a cafe having breakfast and some little oik takes a fancy to my bike!

Picked up the bike from Linds after work. All sorted. They said that the bike was showing an error code for the fuel filler cap. Don't know what they did but it now works...however they have also ordered a new cap from BMW and will fit it when the bike goes in for its 600 mile service.

Happy that its sorted...but they didn't fill me with confidence. On the plus side service was top notch and they couldn't have been more helpful.

keyless is brilliant .. no probs after a year

Keyless is utterly faultless. I love it; it's brilliant! After paying for petrol I now only have to worry about gloves, glasses and lid! I absolutely couldn't go back to juggling a key.

Seems like a winner to me, no messing around to find my key again after filling up, yup count me in!

Back
Top Bottom