Fuel filler cap issues on 2016 GSA with keyless...

They do have keyless locks for front doors, also some of the most high security commercial buildings use this system including airports

I do in hindsight wish I'd just gone old school and ordered my bike with a key as it packing up and you being stranded in the middle of nowhere due to the key less system going bandy would be more than irritating

Isn't that a split infinitive as well??

Keyless Ignition: technology that causes sleepless nights for those that don't even have it.

Fixed :D

I have one bike with it, another without.

I sleep like a baby.

I do though jump on my awesome keyed steed and sometimes wonder why it won't start. Hey-ho, the tricky life of an Adventure biker, mate.

I have one bike with it, another without.

I sleep like a baby.

I do though jump on my awesome keyed steed and sometimes wonder why it won't start. Hey-ho, the tricky life of an Adventure biker, mate.

Same here. It really does cause a lot of head scratching sometimes.

On the one hand, do I take the bike with the key, knowing that I can definitely get the fuel cap open, but run the risk of leaving the key in the ignition when I go into Waitrose, as I may think I'm on the keyless bike? Or do I take the keyless bike, but just stay within 100 miles from home, just in case the patrol cap won't open?

Thank goodness the snow is coming, as I'll just use the car instead.:beerjug:

Same here. It really does cause a lot of head scratching sometimes.

On the one hand, do I take the bike with the key, knowing that I can definitely get the fuel cap open, but run the risk of leaving the key in the ignition when I go into Waitrose, as I may think I'm on the keyless bike? Or do I take the keyless bike, but just stay within 100 miles from home, just in case the patrol cap won't open?

Thank goodness the snow is coming, as I'll just use the car instead.:beerjug:

Even if it doesnt open it's just two screws to open the petrol cap.

Keyless fuel filler cap

I am getting stressed with my fuel cap as it has happened 4 times now and the dealer says there is nothing wrong with it when they check it.
I am thinking about buying a fuel cap with a key as it’s a pain when you get to a petrol station to fill up and it won’t open so you then have to remove the 2 screws to open it.

Keyless works well, just need somewhere safe to keep my keys as I don't trust my pockets, perhaps someone could design a keyholder where I could store it, like a keyhole?

I am getting stressed with my fuel cap as it has happened 4 times now and the dealer says there is nothing wrong with it when they check it.
I am thinking about buying a fuel cap with a key as it’s a pain when you get to a petrol station to fill up and it won’t open so you then have to remove the 2 screws to open it.

How long are you waiting to open the cap once you turn the bike off?

I'm sure I read several on the K1600 forum had disabled the locking mechanism on the cap for just the same reason in that they couldn't get in to refuel and didn't trust the fix offered by BMW.

Anyhow heres the two methods of getting it open

There are two options how to open the lid:
Option 1 (bike is switched off for over 20 seconds, key is in range):
- Pull the lid once (red LED blinks in display)
- Pull lid again, tank opens

Option 2
- if engine is running, press kill switch
- press button once to switch off bike
- pull the lid once to open (works for about 20 seconds, after that it's locked and you have to use option 1)

http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw...834-gtl-exclusive-gas-tank-access-tricks.html

Gas cap replacement
http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/1473362-post4.html
https://www.slingshotracing.net/cat...200rr1200sk1600-cnc-billet-gas-cap-p-219.html

I have keyless ignition and quite like it for everyday use.

BUT

I usually go on a couple of European tours a year. On all my previous bikes I have taken on tour I hid my second key somewhere obscure on the bike.....just in case.

Can't do this with the GS because:-

1 if I hid a spare key on the bike the dam thing would start

2 BMW only give you one key unless you count that cheap piece of black plastic that masquerades for a key

Mike

I have keyless ignition and quite like it for everyday use.

BUT

2 BMW only give you one key unless you count that cheap piece of black plastic that masquerades for a key

Mike

I have never tried it, but that bit of plastic can start the bike.....

Keyless ?
Have it = Love/like it.
Don't have it = Its shit.
I love/Like it.

Don’t forget

Had it = didn’t like it

I had it on my Multi, and several cars, don’t see it as an extra worth £237, or whatever it is now.

Back
Top Bottom