At last...it's hers ..!! DRZ 400

thebuyer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After storing this for a mate... I've now bought it for my good lady ... Yes she is going to use it ...

The bike is in nice condition and only done 1200 miles ... Was running rough so its been to Bill Smith in Chester, carbs cleaned out and a fresh mot... Straight through :thumb2

Now this is the problem ... It's too high for her.. And with being only 8 stone.. The suspension doesn't compress much .

So I've ordered 40 mm dog bones.. To drop the back end ... But what to do with front ? Suggestions please..

Now .. She is going do no more than light green laning and as training for a trip next year ( more about that later ) ...

These are the bikes they use, so this will give her experience before she goes .

This isn't going to be a show queen bike, and will pick up some damage over the next 6 months... But sensible suggestions on items that "need " to be fitted would be really helpful .

Tyres look like there original .. So what do we fit ? Road and green laning ... As this won't be trailered..

Finally she needs to get out on it ... Gentle green lanes.. Near Chester... And please don't say join TRF..:mad:

Any help really appreciated

Thanks

I have seen it done to good effect on other bikes. Not sure of the set up on the DR but dropping the yolk down the front forks is a popular and free way to drop the front end height to match the rear. People say it affect the geometry of the bike a bit but I don't think it will make any difference for you wife and her type of riding.

Nice bike :clap

Once you lower the front and rear by the same amount the Geometry will stay the same :)

Yup, this is what I did to mine Andy; I'm 6ft and found my DRZ too tall/top heavy off road.

Lowering links on the the rear and dropped the yokes 10mm (IIRC that was pretty much as far as the yokes would drop?).

Andres

Unless she's a decent/experienced rider off road, she may find it a handful and get spooked like mine did.

Now mine won't go near a bike... I should have got her a little 125cc van-van first.:blast

This is a very big/poerful bike for a 'first bike', but not impossible to master with plenty of time and a few mods.
I'm no expert but I would do this:-
Lower final drive ratio.
Fit alloy spine type handguards (Barkbusters)
Fit a good sumpguard (Adventure Spec/Guard-iT).
Fit fold in mirrors for the trail sorties.
Ensure she wears good quality moto-x style boots and an Alpinestars Stella Bionic upper protection jacket.
And, join the TRF! ;)

Thanks

Thanks for all the helpful advice ... Good to know I'm on right route with lowering :thumb2

Yes it is a big bike ... But it's what she will be riding next year on trip, plus she rides a 1200 GS on the road ..and can manage my GSA ... Really ...

Maybe I'm unlucky with our local TRF... But unless your a off road riding God ... And in there " Click " .... Not going to get much help there for a beginner :(

Boots are on the shopping list ... But size 5 feet maybe a problem

I hate to say this but I think you may have bought the wrong bike, it is no fun learning to ride off road on a bike that is too tall/powerful. Also, are the bikes used for the trip next year going to be lowered as well?

Hope I am wrong here though.

I hate to say this but I think you may have bought the wrong bike, it is no fun learning to ride off road on a bike that is too tall/powerful. Also, are the bikes used for the trip next year going to be lowered as well?

Hope I am wrong here though.

Someone just listed a CRF230 for £1600, a good option for learning to ride off road for the shorter rider.

I lowered my f650 GS by and inch dropping the forks through the yolks.makes the steering feels a bit quicker at low speed, but once underway I cant detect any change. Other than when I stop off camber I have more chance of getting a foot down.

In the absence of a local guide you could ...
- take a look at a local OS map and find the BOATs (Byways open to all traffic). Probably indicated with a line of plus-sign symbols - in the Landranger map series.
- check your council's website. They may prove online maps with footpath, byway, BOAT routes.

The best way to lower the front end is to have the Forks Lowered internally.
This is normally done by adding a Lowering bushing to the top out spring inside the Cartridge.
You must also shorten the Spring/Spacer by the same amount as the lowering bushing.
I hope this makes sense :)

Back
Top Bottom