Heroes On the Water - Combat Stress

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I ride a bike and have been a member here for some years.

I am one of the founding trustees of Heroes On the Water UK, registered charity 1155380. We provide a pathway to recovery, which is well proven to be extremely effective. The other day I had a new member out, he was referred from the Combat Stress unit at Audley Court in Shropshire. It is highly affective, especially for those suffering with PTSD, many have serious physical injuries as well, like Luke

Or 'Legless Paul' (It's what he likes to be called - military humour) he lost his liver at the same time, but luckily for him he was given a second hand one

or Glyn, who also has prosthetic legs

It doesn't stop them though.

The other day I had a new member of HOW out for the first time. Andy served 24 years, first in the Navy then transferred and went through the training for the Royal Marine Commandos. It was his first time out and so a sheltered water was chosen that was conveiently close, just to get the idea and see how he got on.

We weren't going to do anything too strenuous or difficult for his first outing, just some light trolling along the margin and try to find a jack, or better if he was lucky. This doesn't need big fish to be a massive success, the guys just need SOME kind of success to start them back on a track.

As we moved along a rocky shoreline I saw a shoal of tiny silvers scatter and that was quickly followed by the boil from a pike. I got Andy to start a drift that would enable him to cast towards the spot.

Mr Pike wasn't playing today though. So after a dozen or so casts punctuated by having to reposition his kayak to get him in the right place to get a cast under the overhanging trees

We decided to move up the shore a bit and drift down the boulder bank, casting at every little nook and cranny and even along the shore in about 2-feet of water. After half an hour or so, and we had covered a couple of hundred yards hanging off the drogue, Andy had this, his first ever pike.

I showed him how to net the fish, and he drew it over the rim and lifted it out with glee! It was only a jack by your standards, maybe 3lbs, but it was a PB for him, and his first fish from a kayak, and his first pike and the first fish he had caught since he was a boy. You cannot even begin to imagine the difference that fish made, you can see it on his face.

I then showed Andy how to chin a pike without hurting either it, or himself. The hooks were easy to remove with a pair of pliers, because I know small pike can be acrobatic. Then it was sent back to harass the minnows again.

We sat and discussed the capture and how Andy felt, to let the moment sink in and become a true memory. The conversation moved on and it was getting on towards late lunchtime, so the decision was made, by Andy, to troll back down this side towards the cars and a the cup of tea shop, also stocked with home made acrrot cake to die for.

We set off at a nice, slow pace to allow the lure to put in a slow, enticing wobble. As we came off a point, where it shallowed up a fair bit, I saw the rod arch and thought he must have got stuck, so did Andy. Then the reel began to pay line, but I still though he was stuck and the drift was pulling line off - but no, Andy had hold of the rod and said he could feel thumps from a fish. As I got closer I saw the angle of the line where it hit the water change and the fish headed out for deeper water, all the signs of a good fish.

After a fair old battle on the light spinning gear (7-28g) with my little ProMax 3600 on it, the fish came to the surface and there was a swirl.

Then Andy saw it, and called over to me that it was a pretty decent fish. Well, I could tell that from the way he regained line, only for it to peel off again and some for good measure. 10 minutes or so he played it until we could get a net under it. It broke the little net I had taken for the day, not expecting anything more than maybe a double. THIS is what filled the landing net

A couple of Polish lads in a boat nearby saw the fight and we asked if they had a set of scales. I don't weigh fish, I generally measure them if they are worth measuring. They took the fish and weighed it properly for us. 18lbs 8ozs. A fantastic fish, a good carp and a carp on a lure at that. We got her revived and sent her on her way

I hope you have enjoyed reading about Andy's first day out with Heroes On the Water.

The result is a changed man, but he wants to come out again and is going to enrol on the full program, which is a series of sessions over a period of time, but more importantly, it has got him enthused and he is going to get others from his unit to come and get involved. I have a feeling he was sent as the guinea pig! This was only his first session, but already I have had feedback that it has given his spirits a huge uplift and that his other treatments have benefitted. There is a proven track record, scientifically proven where this program:

REDUCES OVERALL STRESS by 78%

REDUCES HYPER VIGILENCE by 77%

REDUCES AVOIDANCE BEHAVIOUR by 63%

The program is highly effective and changes peoples lives, not just the men themselves, but their families - daddy's mood swings and tension related bouts are greatly reduced. The children and wives get their father and husband back again. It is hugely rewarding, which is why I do it. Like everyone else, we need funds, but unlike most, this is voluntary and there are no paid admin staff to soak up hard earned donations. Every penny goes to providing the sessions and helping to re-establish these guys and girls back into everyday life. It isn't just the armed forces either, although, as you can imagine, that is many of them at the moment - but all the emergency servies and even Joe Public if they are involved in an act of public service. You may remember the news story where an ambulance was responding under blues & twos and a concrete block was thrown off a bridge and went through the windscreen. The driver suffered a severe head trauma (it smashed his head in) he lost one eye. The charity serves ANYONE who has been injured mentally or physically during an act of public service.

We would be very grateful for any support or fund raising any of you could do.

The truth is we can't, at the moment, cater for them all, but we are working on it, as fast as we can as part time volunteers - remember that, we are where we are all from dedication of a small group of volunteers who give up their time to make this thing happen. YOU are a part of that team by supporting us. www.heroesonthewater-uk.org

THANK YOU.

What a great thing to do, well done!

Nice carp on the lure as well (nice carp on anything actually!)

Great story, and a cracking days fishing. I may have some items that could be useful to you and will send you a message.

That's great. Well done, I'll support anything that makes a difference. Donation from my company coming tomorrow.

Sent from Space

Great story, and a cracking days fishing. I may have some items that could be useful to you and will send you a message.

Thanks Steve - package arrived and sorted into the individual tackle boxes we have for the kayaks. Everything will be put to good use - the lures possibly not until next year, to get the guys out on the sea, bass perhaps? Be good!

donation on the way keep up the good work for these brave service men and women :rob

Thank you very much BigWill - sorry guys, I don't know how to do that multiple quote thing, with all in one reply, so I have to go down individually!

Fantastic, well done, donation made.

Thank you very much llotse. It is all very greatfully received and every penny goes into the practical sessions, none is wasted on admin. Even the Trustee meetings, we don't claim expenses for attending - it is all voluntary.

Donation made this morning from Printech Circuit Laboratories Ltd. Keep up the great work.
www.rfpcbs.com
www.facebook.com/spacepcbs/

Marvellous, thank you very much. It is all very welcome and needed. We have a massive step up to make next year with other rehabilitation centres asking us to put on programs for them. Endeavour in Plymouth (I put three guys through to CAST Level 3 this year and another to Level 2.) They want another program (2 days per month from march - October), and a duplicate program for the centre based at Hereford, which will be held in Wales each time. Plus Combat Stress in Shropshire and Catterick in the north - oh and East Anglia too. We shall have our work cut out.

Picture of the Certificate hand over in Plymouth - Endeavour manager Jock Easton, centre, recevied 2 of the certificates on behalf because those guys were either in hospital or at therapy.

Fantastic. Donation plus gift aid sent.

What a shame that the Military don't (or at least didn't when I finished) provide such excellent support for personnel who get body or mind fucked up doing their bidding.

Fantastic. Donation plus gift aid sent.

What a shame that the Military don't (or at least didn't when I finished) provide such excellent support for personnel who get body or mind fucked up doing their bidding.

You Sir, are a gent. Thank you very much.

Back
Top Bottom