Have a quick look round your LC panels

Fluffmeister

I think I'm a Guzzista now
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had mine serviced at Chester today, great service, but they did a "Warranty Sweep" on the bike as I've spotted a few panels that don't line up properly, long and short of it is that I've got new Right Inner and Outer upper side panels coming as they are "warped" and it looks like a manufacturing defect (The one with the BMW R1200RT Logo on that includes the air scoop), they have popped apart and refuse to clip and hold back together, the lower right unpainted side panel once removed for the service, would not line up again (They checked the mounts by measuring against another bike, same distance so it's the panel) and they've had to order a new set of clocks due to water ingress.

Still love the bike, but thought I'd mention it here for you RT LC owners to have a gander at your panels, as in this day of modern age mass production, mine can't be the only one with a couple of ill-fitting panels.

There's me thinking it's my extra wiring.
Yup right lower, the one that goes round the cylinder, pops out of it's rubber mount/bung thing.
They can fix i t when I have the 600mile service done
Thank you for that!
D

Some parts, if not properly installed, get a new "set" and will never properly reinstall again. Is this the first time they were removed? If not, could be the last install was faulty!

Jim :cool:

Panels were slightly warped on mine Jim, all done under warranty though, along with my clocks.

Took my bike in for its 600 mile service (£105!! for an oil change..)
Showed the dealer the badly fitted lower right panel. Didn't get a really good response but eventually agreed to get a new panel if that is what I really wanted.
YES I do want the panels to fit on a new £17k bike.
Interestingly all four RT LCs on the forcourt had the same problem. The right panel is secured by two bolts and one push in bung. The bung pops out as soon as it has been pushed in.
Please report in if your RT is the same and if you managed to get a panel that fits..

Pics below

Attachments

• RT LC left panel.jpg
    RT LC left panel.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,072
  • RT LC right panel.jpg
    RT LC right panel.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 1,092
Oops! Just found I have the same problem so have written to Bahnstormer to request fix/replacement (panel, not bike 😬

Mine will be replaced next time I pass Rainbow
Spoke to two riders today both had broken rubbers on right lower panel
They all do that sir, was a joke
BMW sales men used to say it when you took a bike back with a problem
The other one was, I have never heard of that problem before

Mine will be replaced next time I pass Rainbow
Spoke to two riders today both had broken rubbers on right lower panel
They all do that sir, was a joke
BMW sales men used to say it when you took a bike back with a problem
The other one was, I have never heard of that problem before

I guessed it was a joke :)

I removed mine yesterday to wire up my heated jacket direct to the battery, and the new panel slid back on and lined up perfectly with no overhang as the old one had. Top banana :)

thanks for the heads up on this one , can i ask what dealer sorted it for you ? mine is always popping out of the rubber grommet holder

Chester Motorrad, had no problems at all getting it sorted with them.

Dropped by another dealer to check on their RT panels.
Yup, just the same as mine.
I have yet to see an RT with the RH panel that fits......

and my new replacement panel doesn't fit either. BMW seem to be saying that's your lot.No more new panels.

We'll see.....

and my new replacement panel doesn't fit either. BMW seem to be saying that's your lot.No more new panels.

We'll see.....

I told you to bring the duct tape ..........

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457257003.059623.jpg

I use one of these (think it's a tool to help pull to help pull the rubber mounts on older car exhausts when putting a new system on) to replace the panel.

I put the rubber grommet in first, with the tool pulling back in the plastic panel behind, allows for a reasonable amount of force to be applied without the panel bending.

Once it's located, I put the top screw in, and then the bottom one.

If I try putting the grommet in after the screws, it always pops out again (oooerr missus).

I told you to bring the duct tape ..........

Fixed!! Thanks for your recommendation.
It's in for its 24,000 mile service in a couple of days so we'll see what they say...

Attachments

• DSC_1291.jpg
    DSC_1291.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 190
Come and see my 2014 bike them, they fit perfectly :)

Oh good... where do you live in Salisbury? Do you ever leave your bike unattended?:rolleyes:

'course it may not be the lower panel that is out of shape..

Back
Top Bottom