Avon Trailrider Highly Recommended

I'm still happy with the TKC-70s. Brother's Tourances make his bike feel like a tank compared to mine.

I've had the Trailriders on for just over 4000 miles now (on an LC ADV) and whilst they are wearing quite well, just a little flat in the middle after a road tour of Morocco, they have not been without a couple of issues (for me at least)
They give the feeling that the back wheel is loose on roundabouts, probably just the block pattern but despite knowing the wheel is secure, it doesn't feel right.
And with luggage on in Morocco, not over weight by any means, I was getting a wobble at speed, not much but again, it didn't feel right.
The only butt clenching moments were in the wet through Spain, where white lines and metal bridge dividers gave a shimmy, but everyone on the tour said the same about their tyres, whatever they were.
I put the Trailriders on for the Morocco trip, and whilst I can see them lasting another 4000 I think I'll change to PR4's or Roadsmart 3's for the next set if I don't need offroad capabilities.

They give the feeling that the back wheel is loose on roundabouts, probably just the block pattern but despite knowing the wheel is secure, it doesn't feel right.
And with luggage on in Morocco, not over weight by any means, I was getting a wobble at speed, not much but again, it didn't feel right.

My bikes a Hexhead which has a 150 rear ( I think yours has a 170) maybe that's why you felt like movement in the rear and for me the rear feels very secure.

Again at high speed mines been very stable, I've not hat it fully loaded like this but have had all the cases in some load and decent speeds

I also thought the design of the tyre does not suggest what you felt would be the block pattern - you LC guys have just two much power and its probably the earths crust that is moving under you

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,316
Very interested in your views on these tyres . A bit surprised they get such good on road reviews when you look at how chunky the tread pattern is , maybe it just shows how far tyres have come on recently . I have also looked at Pirelli scorpion 2 and Bridgestone A40 both of which are dual purpose presumably designed with GS in mind but have a much less aggressive tread pattern so might well be quieter (anything has to be quieter than Anakee) and slightly more road biased but still a bit sturdier than sport touring tyres. It will soon be make my mind up time and probably all of them will be excellent.

Avon fitted. They feel pretty planted even on the greasy roads we have a t the mo

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Go careful! Mine seem to be taking some time to bed in! I've never found it so easy to spin up the back wheel! :augie Need to get a few more miles on them,

Question for Wreford: did you have PR3s before the PR4s? I've heard that some people prefer the 3 to the 4. I'm on PR3s but when they wear out I'm thinking if I can't get a set of 3s I may not fit the PR4.

Well this has given me food for thought...:blast

I've had a set of conti road attack 2 evo's on this year, which have been brilliant in all weathers but the wear rate hasn't been very good.

After reading many reviews, I'd decided on a set of PR4's to fit in March 2016......then read some great reviews on the Avon Storm 3D X-M and typical fitments (according to Avon) being Suzuki Hayabusa, Honda Blackbird, Kawasaki GTR1400, Suzuki GSX1400...which got me juices a flowing.....

Now this useful spanner in the works.....

I went for the Conti evo's due to their absolute road bias performance, but perhaps a 90/10 road/trail might give me a better wear rate.....

Question for Wreford: did you have PR3s before the PR4s? I've heard that some people prefer the 3 to the 4. I'm on PR3s but when they wear out I'm thinking if I can't get a set of 3s I may not fit the PR4.

My 1150 had TKC80s I've had the 1200 GSA TC for 18 months and 16000 miles, I came with Tourance which where OK, I fitte PR4s for an Alps trip and was very impressed - I toyed with the idea of TKC70s but opted for the Trail Riders because I'd heard good reports about wet weather performance.

I use the bike every day and I'm still really impressed with the Trail Riders - my current daily route is down some very shitty lanes covered in mud and leaf mulch and aside from the slipping you get when crossing the centre the traction and more importantly for me the confidence they give is fantastic.

I'm considering the Avon TrailRider's for my F800GS. I'd had Michelin PR3's on a previous bike but it appears that they don't do a size to fit the F800? Is this correct?

There's a PR4 Trail but it won't fit the front in 90/90/21 and is basically the same tyre as the road version but for big adventure bikes like 12GS etc. Excellent tyre for roads. If you want Michelin on the F800 then personally I really rate the Anakee 3 - 90/10 and brilliant all-round in greasy/wet/crappy conditions and bumpy back roads. I've managed to get the bike down wet muddy farm tracks and not binned it - not what tyres are really designed for but not bad test.

Go careful! Mine seem to be taking some time to bed in! I've never found it so easy to spin up the back wheel! :augie Need to get a few more miles on them,

My TKC-70 spun up and chucked me off the bike. Yes, cold tyres and dry salted roads don't help but a big surprise (no kidding Batman). I wasn't pressing on in fact I was turning right so being careful. Any tyre has it's limits but these seem to go over the edge quite suddenly.

Whilst getting mot done at flitwick motorcycles Bedfordshire I asked them for a price fitted to loose wheels, quoted £216. Avon trail riders. The fitting charge is cheaper if they supply tyres, so price the same as me buying from tyre leader then getting them to fit.Had tyres fitted there many times and they are careful with rims and TPS sensors.

My TKC-70 spun up and chucked me off the bike. Yes, cold tyres and dry salted roads don't help but a big surprise (no kidding Batman). I wasn't pressing on in fact I was turning right so being careful. Any tyre has it's limits but these seem to go over the edge quite suddenly.

Is there any chance that you hit a patch of something slick on the road?? I thrash my GS at the weekend (dicing sportsbikes kind of thrashing) and the tyre hangs on amazingly well considering the chunky thread pattern. I'm starting to come to terms with the slight vague feeling at motorway speeds.

I'm reconsidering my initially high opinion on the Trail Riders: the rear is pretty much done for after only 2,000 miles of light (solo) use :-\

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I'm reconsidering my initially high opinion on the Trail Riders: the rear is pretty much done for after only 2,000 miles of light (solo) use :-\

Really, mine must have c4000 miles on them, still have loads of tread and continue to give great performance. And I'd say mine don't get light use

Ordered a set today, will get them fitted over the next week or two. Will update when I have some miles on them. I'm keen to get the TKC-70 off the bike, they have great grip but feel strange whilst riding hard (as if the tyres are under inflated) and the thread blocks on the front are starting to wear in a very strange manor, also my mate told me that he finds it easier to keep up with me on wet roads since I fitted the Conti's........................we can't be having that, they have to go!!!

Mine went back to Avon; still waiting for their verdict.

Had two sets of tkc70s....Scottish twists, Moroccan Tarmac and piste, Switzerland, picos and all around in all weathers..... cracking tyre.... bit of a weave at 100+ but best I've had on bike....they only spin up if you are the cause.......and a GSA has enough electronics to prevent that...43000 now and nearing 3rd set.....tried pr4 and touarence.......sticking with conti

Back
Top Bottom