Avon Trailrider Highly Recommended

£140 the pair plus delivery plus about £30 fitted to loose wheels. £180 - ish all in. What's not to like.

Just gone for another set of PR4 for my Picos tour this month, but will swap to the Avons or maybe A40's next time. Thanks for the reviews.

Having been a previous lover of TR91's (massive confidence in the wet), I decided to give the Avon's as go, as whilst I was getting 6-7000 out of the rear on the Dunlops, it was always at the expense of a hugely squared off tyre which killed the handling.

My Avons have now covered almost 8000 miles and who;st the rear is now in need of changing at around 2mm in the centre, I lobe the fact that it has kept a much better and more rounded profit than the Dunlop's ever did - maybe due to the duel compound tread?

Either way, they match the TR91's in the wet, give massive confidence in all weathers and absorb the bumps well.

Another set for me I think!

My tyres rarely make it past 5K on the rear & that’s worn bald down the middle. The tyre will go sooner only if it wears square and the new “corner” affects turn-in etc. Today’s Conti tyres wear with a good rounded profile unlike many.

Here is my problem. 20 mile motorway commute eats tires. Makes them twitchy as hell on the back roads. This has 4000 on it. Regular Tourance . I would be delighted if I could find a tire that had a hard middle and soft outside.
tires.jpg

I’ve just fitted some to my 690 Enduro to replace the off road nobodys. Fantastic on the road and totally transformed the bike.

I have a cheap Mitas on the back. At just over £50 it was fine to go with a part worn Conti Trail Attack on the front.
It’s had mostly motorway use so inevitably worn just like KP100’s example. The Trail Attack under same conditions wore with much less of a square edged flat down the middle. However at 2x the cost, there are no cost savings from the Conti and while handing is better when nearly worn out it’s not (almost) 2x the price better.
The Mitas now causes the bike to rock over lines and other crap on the road but it never gets out of shape. Just a shame it’s too soft and will be dead in 4000 miles.

I do around 5000 before changing a rear, I tend to change them early...

I’ve found with Trailriders that when they are late in life if I put a bit of extra preload on the back they perform like a fresh tyre.

Thanks WM. I have been meaning to get a set and thats good enough for a decent tyre. My only issue now is getting them fitted if I buy some mail order. Couple of places I called want an arm nd a leg even for fitting to loose wheels if I get my own.

I paid my local bike shop £25 for fitting / balancing etc (the pair)

Are people getting 5-8k miles out of a rear?? I have only done 3k miles and the rear has squared off considerably. Doesn't feel bad mind you but I'll be surprised if I get another 2k+ out of it.

I put them on my KTM 1190 Adventure for a change from the Contis. Good grip but only lasted 3500 miles before squaring off quite badly. They are supposed to be dual compound but even with trying to avoid motorways they still wore nearly twice as quickly as the Trail Attacks. About the same price as well.
I have a Pirelli Scorpion II on the rear now so we'll see if that beats the OE tyres

My low cost Mitas sports rear has now gone. It squared off as expected with so much motorway but lasted about 4000 miles. Not bad for a £50 tyre.

I’ve now got K60 Scouts on the bike. The back arrived first and from the outset felt fine. The front was horrible for the first 200 miles - initially feeling like the tyre was flat.

It’s now settled down. Midline steering is very light but quickly loads up when leaned over. Grip is good wet or dry and gravelly mud strewn back lanes are almost boring. Nothing fazes these tyres. Motorway speeds font feel unstable.

The TKC-70 was light steering in all respects but weaved slightly at high M-way speeds.

Conti Trail attacks felt heavier steering much like the K60 but not as heavy as ordinary Tourance. I’ve not used Tourance Next so can’t compare them.

On second set, front lasted 12k but low. Reats lasted 5-7k (7k winter) . A reasonable tyre all round - not as good as a tjc70 but motorway speeds on those are awful. Approaching zero degrees feels like blocks of wood. Reasonable compromise tyre

I have Pirelli Rally STR on at the moment and will be fitting a new rear for an upcoming spanish trip in a few weeks. As soon as I get back, I'll be going back to the Trailriders, I've tried loads of tyres but these can't be bet on the Hexhead.

Are people getting 5-8k miles out of a rear?? I have only done 3k miles and the rear has squared off considerably. Doesn't feel bad mind you but I'll be surprised if I get another 2k+ out of it.

My cheap Mitas was well squared off by 3K due to motorway commutes. I put up with it but the bike was soon no fun for back roads or anything else TBH.

Ive just fitted a pair of K60 Scouts. The front felt awful for the first 200 miles and horrendous the first time out. Thankfully, I was pre-warned by other's on here. It now feels great and I suspect less noisy than the Conti TKC-70 pair I had last year. On gravel I've not found a limit though I'm no riding god and Devon lane side walls don't take prisoners is I've not tried very hard.

They have not needed any balancing weights suggesting very good build quality.

Back
Top Bottom