Avon Trailrider Highly Recommended

My cheap Mitas was well squared off by 3K due to motorway commutes. I put up with it but the bike was soon no fun for back roads or anything else TBH.

Ive just fitted a pair of K60 Scouts. The front felt awful for the first 200 miles and horrendous the first time out. Thankfully, I was pre-warned by other's on here. It now feels great and I suspect less noisy than the Conti TKC-70 pair I had last year. On gravel I've not found a limit though I'm no riding god and Devon lane side walls don't take prisoners is I've not tried very hard.

They have not needed any balancing weights suggesting very good build quality.

We must be nearly neighbours, as I'm in Shiphay. The Avons did well in the back lanes here but they just don't last on the rear. Funnily enough, the front seems fine now at 4k miles when the rear would have been shot by then. My mate has K60's on his Tiger and really rates them up to 90mph, and to be fair, you'd not want to go much quicker on a Tiger 800 with any tyres. He's certainly got more grip in the dirty stuff than I had with the Avons, but then he's only got two thirds of the grunt.

Off to the Picos and Pyrenees in two weeks (via Santander ferry from Pompey), then a long schlep home to the tunnel. My rear PR4 Trail has about 2.2mm left, the front is only part worn and a replacement PR4 costs more than a new Road 5 Trail so I've ordered the newer rear tyre for £125 from DemonTweeks website. It will be interesting to see how the newer tyre feels, I've loved both sets of PR4's that I've had.

I thought I might chance my arm with using the old tyre for the tour, but common sense took over as I don't fancy wasting time in France fixing punctures or replacing tyres. The old rear tyre has done about 4500 miles, I hope the newer tyre is a bit better wearing.

I might go for the Avons as a pair at the next change.

Back
Top Bottom