Avon Trailrider Highly Recommended

Wreford Miles

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/trailrider

I’ve now done a few hundred miles on these on all types of dry, wet, very wet and shitty back roads

My GSA came with Tourance which did their job, I changed these for PR4’s which gave lots of confidence and a very enjoyable trip through the Alps

After 6000 miles I opted for the new Avons.

Im very impressed - Whatever the tyre is I know my skill does not use them to the limit but what I like about these Avons is the confidence I feel in the wet or dry, I thought the PR4’s where good, they are but given the choice again it would be Avons over the PR4’s

Good news and also good to have yet another tyre choice so you can take advantage of offers, availability etc etc..

Will be interested to see how these last but by comparison what mileage did you get out of the PR4's? I have currently gone back to Trail Attacks on my GSA after having Dunlop Trailsmarts. The Dunlops were ok and gripped really well but were vibey at motorway speeds and the rear was well worn after just 3,500 miles. By contrast the conti rear has done 5.5K and still has quite a bit left albeit somewhat squared off. Have you had these Avons on the motorway yet?

Keep us posted if you could..

cheers

The PR4's had 6000 miles on them and the back was about shagged - I change them maybe a 1000 at a real push early as I had a puncture in the front.

I use my GSA daily and its seen all types of road on the Avons including Motorways sitting at 95-100mph (absolutely fine)

One confidence test for me is how the bike feels when you come of the M25 going anticlockwise onto the M40 going west - The Avons have proved great in the wet and dry

One confidence test for me is how the bike feels when you come of the M25 going anticlockwise onto the M40 going west - The Avons have proved great in the wet and dry

I'm not a lover of motorways but I love that corner! Pegs down?

The PR4's had 6000 miles on them and the back was about shagged - I change them maybe a 1000 at a real push early as I had a puncture in the front.

I use my GSA daily and its seen all types of road on the Avons including Motorways sitting at 95-100mph (absolutely fine)

Excellent... Thanks for the further info...

brother was involved in testing them on his tiger 800 for ride magazine. he rates them highly for grip and wear.

The M5 southbound entry at Exeter South has a 270 degree loop. It takes real balls to knee down on that but I'm sure many have tried.

I'm not a lover of motorways but I love that corner! Pegs down?

The test for me is having the confidence to keep the speed on as it tightens towards the end and to get the power on early - If I can do that I can get the ADV to show an indicated 120mph at the end of the slip road as it joins the M40 - it's a nice morning buzz to start the day as that's the way to my office.

I've no doubt though that an old hand on a GS with shagged TKCs would be able to ride round the outside of me :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 2,999
Be interested in how they wear as the Ashley Vowles from Avon recommended the Storm 3D Xm over the Trailrider saying they were both as good as each other but the Storm would last 20 to 30% longer if all you do is roadwork. I note from the Motorrad test that they do not rate the XM very much due to stability at speed and poor (compared with the best ) wet weather grip. I shall keep my eye on this as will need new tyres after the winter ,will keep PR4s until then but probably wont have them again.

The test for me is having the confidence to keep the speed on as it tightens towards the end and to get the power on early - If I can do that I can get the ADV to show an indicated 120mph at the end of the slip road as it joins the M40 - it's a nice morning buzz to start the day as that's the way to my office.

I've no doubt though that an old hand on a GS with shagged TKCs would be able to ride round the outside of me :D
You join a motorway at 120 mph? :yikes
Alan R

Be interested in how they wear as the Ashley Vowles from Avon recommended the Storm 3D Xm over the Trailrider saying they were both as good as each other but the Storm would last 20 to 30% longer if all you do is roadwork. I note from the Motorrad test that they do not rate the XM very much due to stability at speed and poor (compared with the best ) wet weather grip. I shall keep my eye on this as will need new tyres after the winter ,will keep PR4s until then but probably wont have them again.

This one?.........but it is 2014.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2014-Motorrad-Touring-Motorcycle-Tyre-Test.htm

I'm just back from 150 miles off x country B and A roads with snotty damp/leaves/mud all combined and dry bits - I ride these roads a fair bit and today has convinced me even more that these new Avon Trailriders are very good.

It's not just the confidence they give they really seem to suit the 1200ADV and make in turn better/faster/smoother

So all we need now is some experience of wear rates and anticipated mileage!:augie

Think I'm going to give them a go.:thumb

my tyres are shagged and its a toss up between a set of PR4s or the Trailriders.

They are the same price on Oponeo (theres only £1 in it).

Decisions, decisions

my tyres are shagged and its a toss up between a set of PR4s or the Trailriders.

They are the same price on Oponeo (theres only £1 in it).

Decisions, decisions

I'm still mighty impressed with mine (I had PR4s before) I've been using the bike every day in some really shite weather and in back lanes covered in crap. Loads of confidence with the Avons.

Today the roads where dry and great fun.

If I was buying again it would 100% be the Avon TrailRiders

The other day I also had chance to ride that M25/M40 junction with the rain absolutely tipping it down - fantastic tyres

I'll give them a go on that recommendation then. I had pr4 on my gsx 650 and they were good. I will try the Avon.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom