Suzook Van Van 125.

Colban

Reaction score
Thinking of acquiring one of these for bimbling around the lanes but have got a few concerns.
Not worried about top-speed or any of that crap,but is it powerful enough to drag my not inconsiderable carcass up hills and along the odd muddy track/green lane?.
How quickly do they deteriorate;do they have the usual Suzuki problems?.
Any other weaknesses/inadequacies i should be aware of?. Ta:thumb

Quite good fun and very comfy and generally well made. Expect 80+ mpg.

Engines last around 35k miles, rear shock can snap if not protected by a mud flap (and replacements are big money). 6th gear is pointless but becomes useable if you change the front sprocket (which everyone does) and allows a top speed of just shy of 70mph, although a small universal screen helps. Chains are poor.

New and used prices are too high in my opinion but if you look around you might get lucky. Always buy low mileage bikes.

Something like this looks well priced and it's the latest colour (helps to keep re-sale value up).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-RV...597140?hash=item1c5b0bff14:g:PF8AAOSwYGFUx7IT

Quite good fun and very comfy and generally well made. Expect 80+ mpg.

Engines last around 35k miles, rear shock can snap if not protected by a mud flap (and replacements are big money). 6th gear is pointless but becomes useable if you change the front sprocket (which everyone does) and allows a top speed of just shy of 70mph, although a small universal screen helps. Chains are poor.

New and used prices are too high in my opinion but if you look around you might get lucky. Always buy low mileage bikes.

Something like this looks well priced and it's the latest colour (helps to keep re-sale value up).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-RV...597140?hash=item1c5b0bff14:g:PF8AAOSwYGFUx7IT

+1 on the above.

I've dropped the gearing on mine and it redlines at 65mph now but 6th is much more useable, It dragged my 13 stones up Wrynose and Hardknott passes the other weekend.

Chains are crap but they're only a tenner, there is an upgrade kit to a larger one. Hagon do a £300 shock!

It's great for laning as it's so light, have done Salter Fell in Lancashire and a bit up in Kielder. Sidepanels do get in the way of your calves if you stand up on the pegs in full adventure mode ;)

Cymarc (Mark Hooton of this parish) does a few stainless bits for the VanVan and I would recommend the bash plate as the underside of the engine looks a bit vulnerable.

It's worth joining the VanVan forum... www.suzukivanvan.co.uk

I love mine, and have done a few silly trips, last year I did Applecross from Preston (1100 miles in a week), this year I went up to Arran and have done the Dragon Rally for a few years 100+ mile trips camping are a doddle.

Thanks for your replies gents; i'm a bit more "aware" now.
If a Vanny can do those trails pictured,she'll be right for my needs.
Bit of a worry about the engine though;it's not made by the Chinese is it.
What fails after only 35K miles or is it just poor maintenance/abuse?.

I guess that the engine would last longer if it wasn't run at full pelt most of the time, which is what people do on 125's. It was just an approximation anyway. It's generally regarded as a reliable set-up (Japanese). I wouldn't worry too much, just get a nice low miler and enjoy.

Thanks for your replies gents; i'm a bit more "aware" now.
If a Vanny can do those trails pictured,she'll be right for my needs.
Bit of a worry about the engine though;it's not made by the Chinese is it.
What fails after only 35K miles or is it just poor maintenance/abuse?.

I thought all small suzuki's were now made in China, shouldn't be an issue though,

Skyteam do a 250 copy, that I have heard good things about, not up to Honda quality, but neither is Suzuki,

http://www.skyteammotorcycles.com/motorcycle-range/vraptor250/

parts are cheap, even from skyteam

http://www.skyteamparts.com/

of course not a Van van!

there is a guy on ebay that sells skyteam bikes, he might be able to source cheaper than RRP, the Ace he is selling looks about £500 cheaper than other dealers,

like most bikes, look after them and they last ok, OOracing stock the 250 engine to fit into the Ace and are rumoured to be working on a supercharged version,

There's a 200cc version that puts out a few more horses, never sold in the UK AFAIK. But they do get imported from time to time, mostly from Japan - in fact there's a nice-looking one on ebay at the moment :thumb2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-RV200-VanVan-VANVAN-RV-04-8K-/291596217315?hash=item43e47d2be3:g:96EAAOSwI-BWKN8~

Used to have a Tw200 in Thailand, similar bike made by Yamaha, was great for trails and had no problems carrying my not inconsiderable bulk up steep inclines :beerjug:

edit: in fact that's it in my avatar - on top of Doi Suthep, a small mountain next to Chiang Mai. Mate is two bikes down on a Vanvan :thumb2

Thanks for the link to the skyteam site.Definetly a VanVan clone but with rear disc,bigger tank and a 250 motor.
The 125 version is also about 1/2 the price of the Suzook when new.
Still not convinced about Chinese quality control and the lack of secondhand V-Raptor 250s suggests most people are of the same opinion.
A nearly new/low miles 125 Suzuki should be fine.:thumb

Long time since last post on this thread but having run a VV for a while now I thought I should add some views. Best mod is the 520 gauge chain and sprocket swap. Just search ebay.
They are slow, but very comfy. Plan your routes on the tiny unclassified roads and avoid anywhere wth lots of HGVs.
They have genuine character and are a very pleasurable ride on the right roads. Expect 100mg.

I love my VanVan, full of character. Took the cover of to change the air filter. If you don't know anything about mechanics than the VanVan is great for learning.
d8458dacac364378e1d1250b276e8cb2.jpg
88c82b9ff27442b9dbfbe578aa965b41.jpg

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom