AirHead Drag Bike

paul cardy

Reaction score
Hi

I seem to have found my way here by a convoluted route - let me explain...
I have been building a Harley for the last 4 years, ok stop sniggering in the back, and although this is still some way off being finished I contacted that well known bug Internet Surfing - sweaty palms and finger hovering over the buy button on Ebay you know the simptons. I even spoke to someone recently who said they had such a bad case of this they were going to take a breatherliser test before logging on to Ebay..
Anyway I digress but a bit more of the back story my good lady wanted to visit here birth place which was some place called WestonZoyland sort of near Bridgewater, so a quick search and bingo a NSA Sprint meeting on at the same time - rocked up and what a great bunch of people spoke to lots of competitors and really got hooked on the whole idea, and with all things motorsport my good lady was front and center when can we go again ;). So several trips back to this event during the year and the bug got really bad..

I knew I wanted to build another bike but maybe not as full on with fabrication as the Harley - yeah right- more surfing and liked the look of the BMW Cafe Racers and then found "Glemseck 101" ok now we are talking.
Still there no falling asleep ... So now i knew what I needed just had to find one.

So the hunt was on for an R50 plunger frame, ok i know this may upset some people taking a classic bike and turning into something none standard but I hope to do this justice and maybe if it ever gets finished you can be the judges.

Back on the Ebay and and I soon discovered that all the parts seem to be in USA ? found a frame which was all I really needed and matching numbers crankcase which came with the deal but it took so long to sort out shipping that it got sold before the deal could be concluded.

So another weekend away with the good lady - do you see a reacuring theme ? this time to Bath as the base with Prescott Hilclimb and then yes you have guessed it NSA sprint at WestZ - been looking R50's on EbayUK to check out prices and just by chance saw one get sold and thought it may pay to give the chap a call see if he could help - You ever had that feeling like all the stars are all lined up...

Me " looking for an R50 frame can you help"
Seller " I have a rolling chassis with log book for an R69 been in a shed for over 10 years and in need of some TLC would this be of interest ? Hello.. Hello (pause )....
Me - "I am on my way"

So the deal was done and we picked it up on the first leg of the weekend and it sat strapped in the back of our van and did more miles in that weekend that it had in a long, long time.

This was back in October 2015 and a fair bit happen since then here is a picture as it arrived sans rear wheel.
Hopefully this type of content post is ok other wise I have just worn my fingers out for just typing practice.
FB1.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks for looking

Welcome aboard Paul,

Airhead bikes are meant to be cut 'n' shunted/modded/sawn up etc etc.........let others restore back to OE standard if that floats their boat !! Most love these projects.... so get a bloody move on :clap( with photos :D ) !!

Excellent!

Welcome, we can always do with someone else on the 'let's modify them' end of the seesaw! They're great bikes but old - which means they're worth bringing up to date. I'd love to do a /2 framed bike. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Hi All

Thanks for the warm welcome its good to be starting out on something new.

I will post some more pictures this week, but to give you some idea of how its progressing, I now know almost everone on first name terms at Moto-Works - James Sherwood is on speed dial, but my fisrt call was to Richard Moore.
Now bearing in mind I didn't know Richard from Adam till about 2 weeks ago he took my first email enquiry in the spirit I hoped and rung me up to try and work out what was going on - really nice guy. We have subsiquently spent a lot of time talking through a plan and agreeing an engine spec ( or should that be what I could afford :eek:) and he has agreed to build me a race engine or should that be Drag engine .... so following deep discussion on what engine to start with the purchase of an R80 engine and 5 speed gearbox from James Sherwood was agreed and this was delivered straight to RM, and was being stripped last week - measuring crank journals when we spoke to RM on Friday.
I have asked him to keep a photo record as this engine is built and subject to his agreement so no trade secrets are given away I would hope to share these on here but lets see how it pans out.

I have been researching colour schemes tonight - well its cheap entertainment till you pick a colour...:thumby:

Hi All

Thanks for the warm welcome its good to be starting out on something new.

I will post some more pictures this week, but to give you some idea of how its progressing, I now know almost everone on first name terms at Moto-Works - James Sherwood is on speed dial, but my fisrt call was to Richard Moore.
Now bearing in mind I didn't know Richard from Adam till about 2 weeks ago he took my first email enquiry in the spirit I hoped and rung me up to try and work out what was going on - really nice guy. We have subsiquently spent a lot of time talking through a plan and agreeing an engine spec ( or should that be what I could afford :eek:) and he has agreed to build me a race engine or should that be Drag engine .... so following deep discussion on what engine to start with the purchase of an R80 engine and 5 speed gearbox from James Sherwood was agreed and this was delivered straight to RM, and was being stripped last week - measuring crank journals when we spoke to RM on Friday.
I have asked him to keep a photo record as this engine is built and subject to his agreement so no trade secrets are given away I would hope to share these on here but lets see how it pans out.

I have been researching colour schemes tonight - well its cheap entertainment till you pick a colour...:thumby:

It's cheap entertainment after you pick a colour IME.:D

Good luck will keep an eye out:thumb2

Hi Rob - Nice R50 did you do a build thread on here ? like the front drum brake what's it from ?

Hi Rob

I have heard of Edelweiss picked up some info on my internet trawling.

Nice 'N' Fat

Not heard of Garmish but i have now, checked out a couple of vids on youtube, its now on the list - never going to have enough holiday....

So the bike got stripped down to its main parts and this is what was left..

[URL=http://s499.photobucket.com/user/hilbilchillbil/media/BMW%20Airhead%20Drag%20Bike/Frame2.jpeg.html]
[IMG]http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr352/hilbilchillbil/BMW%20Airhead%20Drag%20Bike/Frame2.jpeg[/URL][/IMG]

So I now have a large number of R69 parts for sale please start and orderly que. I had hoped to reuse the R69 wheel hubs but drew the line at messing with these as they look to be quite rare with 16 Borrini rims as the bike used to have a sidecar, also the rear mudguard is not the hindged type but looks to be origonal ?
So Motor Works have sold me a front & rear drum wheel from a Series 5 and a new bevel box, picked up an later swing arm with drive shaft all will be modified along the way.
Then to Sherwoods for a set of front drum forks....I now need at front twin leading shoe front brake if anyone has one lying under an bench please let me know.

RW4.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is the rear as per the cunning cardboard note, and following a session with the grinder they now look like this

The rims look to be in good condition stamped by Wiemann, will probally get both these powder coated as part of the wheel rebuild and may even put the 18x2.25 on the front to match the new rear ( yet to be bought ) which will be an 18 x 3.

Looked for a old style moped type tank sort of small and square - bit like a Hovis loaf ? and picked up a very nice condition MZ tank - so at least its European. Anyway I had been struggling with the idea of cutting unwanted lugs from the frame but on offering the tank the standard seat lugs which had already been earmarked as the minimum I could get away with chopping stopped the tank from siting in its desired location so that was cart blanch.

[URL=http://s499.photobucket.com/user/hilbilchillbil/media/BMW%20Airhead%20Drag%20Bike/Frame4_1.jpeg.html]
[IMG]http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr352/hilbilchillbil/BMW%20Airhead%20Drag%20Bike/Frame4_1.jpeg[/URL][/IMG]

This sort of gets me up to date a further session is planned this weekend to clean up a few more unwanted lugs, while the hubs are off being fettled.

So the buying has begun

Really nice quality and not the first time I have bought from Hong Kong and been more than happy - and under £30

FullSizeRender.jpg.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

James Sherlock supplied the engine and gearbox bit more than £30 though

E2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Be good to compare this when it comes back from RM who is currently cutting down the crankcase...

Is the exhaust port thread missing? or is it just the reflection?

This is my Moorespeed engine

71CB3B55-CFAC-4F4A-A46F-A167AA0B46BE-104-0000001061BF4A82_zpse9de024c.jpg

478E0C1C-F1E7-4C84-96E6-104EEE0943D8-104-0000000047A5E88C_zps45c413c8.jpg

Hi Rob

The exhaust thread ( or what loks like a lack of ) is just a reflection...

Those bits look loverly seems a shame to hide that piston in an engine.

What was your final engine spec ?

Ok now I am excited.. that looks awesome, bet you are rightly chuffed with that.

I had some suggestion for your oil pipe problems till I saw where you lived so to far away from my go to place "Hampshire Hose", have you thought about Pirtec they even offer a we come to you in a van service, I have bought bits from their main shop and they knew what they were about.

Hi Rob

I have heard of Edelweiss picked up some info on my internet trawling.

Nice 'N' Fat

Not heard of Garmish but i have now, checked out a couple of vids on youtube, its now on the list - never going to have enough holiday....

So the bike got stripped down to its main parts and this is what was left..

[URL=http://s499.photobucket.com/user/hilbilchillbil/media/BMW%20Airhead%20Drag%20Bike/Frame2.jpeg.html]
[IMG]http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr352/hilbilchillbil/BMW%20Airhead%20Drag%20Bike/Frame2.jpeg[/URL][/IMG]

So I now have a large number of R69 parts for sale please start and orderly que. I had hoped to reuse the R69 wheel hubs but drew the line at messing with these as they look to be quite rare with 16 Borrini rims as the bike used to have a sidecar, also the rear mudguard is not the hindged type but looks to be origonal ?
So Motor Works have sold me a front & rear drum wheel from a Series 5 and a new bevel box, picked up an later swing arm with drive shaft all will be modified along the way.
Then to Sherwoods for a set of front drum forks....I now need at front twin leading shoe front brake if anyone has one lying under an bench please let me know.

RW4.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is the rear as per the cunning cardboard note, and following a session with the grinder they now look like this

The rims look to be in good condition stamped by Wiemann, will probally get both these powder coated as part of the wheel rebuild and may even put the 18x2.25 on the front to match the new rear ( yet to be bought ) which will be an 18 x 3.

Looked for a old style moped type tank sort of small and square - bit like a Hovis loaf ? and picked up a very nice condition MZ tank - so at least its European. Anyway I had been struggling with the idea of cutting unwanted lugs from the frame but on offering the tank the standard seat lugs which had already been earmarked as the minimum I could get away with chopping stopped the tank from siting in its desired location so that was cart blanch.

[URL=http://s499.photobucket.com/user/hilbilchillbil/media/BMW%20Airhead%20Drag%20Bike/Frame4_1.jpeg.html]
[IMG]http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr352/hilbilchillbil/BMW%20Airhead%20Drag%20Bike/Frame4_1.jpeg[/URL][/IMG]

This sort of gets me up to date a further session is planned this weekend to clean up a few more unwanted lugs, while the hubs are off being fettled.

Not sure that I am keen on the cold chisel and brick bolster though.

Seriously, good luck with the build. I like a good build thread with photos.

Back
Top Bottom