Yet another Zumo 550 issue......

HarrisBikeNut

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Used my 550 Sunday and Monday this week without issues. Went to use it Tuesday and it would not switch on at all. Contacted Garmin Weds who advised a "master restart" comprising pressing the bottom right corner of the screen with the on / off button at the same time and holding for a time. Thus did not work and neither dud charging the unit from my desktop. My question is - is this a battery problem that a new battery would solve? Any one had this problem and have a possible solution? Is it just me or is the 550 unit inherently unreliable as I have had no end of issues with my original unit and a replacement provided by Garmin.

Bob

Garminm Zumo now fixed.

Turns out that the unit had blown a voltage circuit, charging ic and three diodes due to a power surge of some sort. Forum users may wish to try the guys that repaired my unit. They are called TONIK UK and the cost inc return carriage was £87 with a 12 month warranty. They did exactly what they said when I phoned, contacted me to tell me what the issue was, likely repair cost and gave me the choice to go ahead or not. They offer no fix - no fee which I found reassuring. Their suggestion was not to connect the unit before the engine is started. Never worried about that before but does anyone else take this approach? I would have assumed that a fuse in the cradle or similar would protect against a voltage surge but maybe I'm wrong on that.
Anyhow, the service I received was extremely good and, as they repairs phones, ipads etc etc their details may be useful to fellow forum members.

Forum users may wish to try the guys that repaired my unit. They are called TONIK UK....

Anyhow, the service I received was extremely good and, as they repairs phones, ipads etc etc their details may be useful to fellow forum members.

Many bods struggle unless you give them a link: http://www.tonikuk.co.uk

Good heads-up on Tonik's services, thank you.

Used my 550 Sunday and Monday this week without issues. Went to use it Tuesday and it would not switch on at all. Contacted Garmin Weds who advised a "master restart" comprising pressing the bottom right corner of the screen with the on / off button at the same time and holding for a time. Thus did not work and neither dud charging the unit from my desktop. My question is - is this a battery problem that a new battery would solve? Any one had this problem and have a possible solution? Is it just me or is the 550 unit inherently unreliable as I have had no end of issues with my original unit and a replacement provided by Garmin.

Bob

No, never in 5 years of use and mine is practically always in the cradle prior to starting the engine.

Back
Top Bottom