Triumph Bonneville 1964.

sutcliffe995

Reaction score
Longshot I know, but if anyone hears of a mostly original one for sale, please pass them my details. Many thanks, Alistair.
NB, must be a 1064, the year I was born.

I wondered what the cause was for all that rukus in 1066

Just shows that this forum is not only open the current bikers , oldies, and now Ghosts!

Protective head gear with CE approved eye protection was not compulsory , it could have saved that nasty eye injury.

Rukkas in a previous incarnation I believe was cloth with chainmail body armour heavy this proved not to be waterproof but could protect in most nasty situations.
But protective head gear with CE approved eye protection was not compulsory , it could have saved that nasty eye injury.

Longshot I know, but if anyone hears of a mostly original one for sale, please pass them my details. Many thanks, Alistair.
NB, must be a 1064, the year I was born.

There's a lot of fakes out there so be very careful. Non-matching frame and engine numbers knock a lot of value off the bike and the crankcase halves should also have matching 3 digit numbers stamped underneath. All of these are regularly re-stamped or faked.

There are some good books, which you may already have.

'Bonnie' by John Nelson

'Triumph Bonneville' by Steve Wilson These both list year by year changes and will help to spot anything dodgy :thumb

Here's my '64 at the 50th celebrations at Gaydon. A bit scruffier now but goes very well thanks to the engine built by Hugh Brown of The Bike Shed and some careful dyno time.

There are quite a lot of detail changes around this time if you crave originality.

scan10043.jpg

scan10045.jpg

Bike was a serious pile of junk when I got it and I only wish I knew then what I know now 'cos I'd never have bought it. The head was scrap and the crankshaft had a crack right through it. Everything went downhill from there. It took a lot of work to get it to that standard and was only just ready in time for Gaydon. However, the bike is now always ridden as the maker intended and has been great fun on a couple of trips to the Isle of Man. I found a big boost in performance came from sorting the fuelling on the local dynojet dyno. There's a couple of jobs need doing over the winter and I really should look at the front brake which is poor. Hasn't been cleaned over or under the mudguards much since restoration I'm afraid as I find life too short for cleaning bikes!

Great to see your riding it now , it's what they are for . I have twin leading shoe front brake , it's like night and day difference definitely worth the cost and trouble . Didn't mean to be rude (but I guess I was) it looks like a cracking bike and you have done a bloody good job excellent!!

Here's my '64 at the 50th celebrations at Gaydon. A bit scruffier now but goes very well thanks to the engine built by Hugh Brown of The Bike Shed and some careful dyno time.

There are quite a lot of detail changes around this time if you crave originality.

scan10043.jpg

scan10045.jpg

I think it fair to say that your bike appears to have run out of oil :rolleyes:

:p I think you'll generally find a Hugh Brown motor to be oil tight although mine will blow out the breather after a blast down the dual carriageway. Now you should see the oil that falls out of the Rudge....

This was my 64 when I first bought it (£130)

Metal flake blue frame and interesting rear suspension.

daggerbike.jpg

Jeez Rob... Did you ever ride it like that? A dagger up the back end indeed.

There's a lot of fakes out there so be very careful. Non-matching frame and engine numbers knock a lot of value off the bike and the crankcase halves should also have matching 3 digit numbers stamped underneath. All of these are regularly re-stamped or faked.

There are some good books, which you may already have.

'Bonnie' by John Nelson

'Triumph Bonneville' by Steve Wilson These both list year by year changes and will help to spot anything dodgy :thumb

Thank you for the info. Really helpful.

Back
Top Bottom