Exhaust flap drama. BMW aren't listening.

You can actually take out a new warranty if your old one has lapsed. This didn't used to be the case and I think it costs a bit more, but you might be able to do this and then suddenly find the problem :green gri

So what's the best way to prevent the failure? What would be the best lube to use to keep the fecker working right?

Wunderlich sell a removal kit for up to 2013 bikes, hopefully they'll produce one for the LC's before mine comes out of warranty. FWIW Harleys have the same set up and the same problem, you'd think major manufacturers could come up with something a little more robust

This is a KNOWN BMW problem that has been discussed in a prior thread. It happened to mine in July and BMW replaced the whole exhaust system under warranty (whilst in GREEECE) all because of one little flap. They even changed the PART as they KNOW the problem exists. If I can find it I'll post the prior thread with part numbers

POSTED 14th AUGUST 2015
I had the same problem touring in Greece. The part as stated is the flap not opening and closing properly and if left unattended will cause problems. The first BMW dealer I went to in Greece recognised the issue and gave me a NEW BMW part number that solves the issue. EMAIL COPY : I arrived in Patras and NICOS from BMW B.A Andriopoulos PATRAS diagnosed the problem as a prior part that BMW have since replaced. 18517712008 (OLD) with PART number 1851 8555 270. There is a problem with the exhaust flap opening and closing.
I was quoted 1800 euro to fix the problem in Patras. Instead I went to dealer in Athens, he submitted warranty to BMW and replaced the whole exhaust on warranty. Hope this helps....Ed

Simple check

Nickelslip has a temperature rating of up to 1350C
http://www.draketooling.co.uk/Products/maintenance_workshop_anti-sieze/MOL18A005 is the cheapest I've seen it

You can hear the valve being opened closed (exercised) upon start up / shut down. it can be seen working if you remove the black cover (2x torx screws) - should move apx 60 deg. I periodically lube mine with copper slip anti seize compound using a small paintbrush - takes 10 min to remove the rear can for full access. yes I know you should not have to but its insurance - just like re greasing the driveshaft splines with Sabbarag grease every now & then - all part of the ownership experience

It stays closed at low revs to improve the torque delivery at low revs and open up at higher revs to aid power delivery. This is how it was explained to me, is it true, i do not know.

According to those at Remus who dyno'd these bikes they say unlike Camheads the flapper offers no low rpm benefit in power delivery, it simply enables the bike to squeak through noise regulations. Which brings up an interesting point, yours being stuck open likely no longer meets your Euro noise regulation. For how long are new vehicles required to meet the noise standard because other than that malfunctioning flapper the stainless exhaust system would last the life of the bike?

Just to add my 50 pence worth. Mine was changed by Chandlers after I took the bike in for a quick check as it was stalling occasionally. (another thread somewhere) They found my flap was seized that was after 7000 miles on a 2013 GS. I hadn't noticed... Not related to stalling either. Replace all exhaust, nice new headers etc. Will now keep lubed as per above as the 2 years (warranty) is/are up in a fortnight. Will extend warranty though to be in safe side. Still makes me smile 2 years and 10k miles on....!!!

Just to add my 50 pence worth. Mine was changed by Chandlers after I took the bike in for a quick check as it was stalling occasionally. (another thread somewhere) They found my flap was seized that was after 7000 miles on a 2013 GS. I hadn't noticed... Not related to stalling either. Replace all exhaust, nice new headers etc. Will now keep lubed as per above as the 2 years (warranty) is/are up in a fortnight. Will extend warranty though to be in safe side. Still makes me smile 2 years and 10k miles on....!!!

Issue is, it's not covered by the extended warranty though. Mine has just failed just outside the warranty. Not covered.

Issue is, it's not covered by the extended warranty though. Mine has just failed just outside the warranty. Not covered.

Seems to be dependant on how good the dealer is. Mine failed on my 2014 RT 6 months out of warranty, had the headers replaced with a £60 contribution from me, which gave me a two warranty. The flap started squeaking again in Oct, 6 days before the end of my warranty on the headers, dealer spoke to BMW and I got another new set of Headers fitted free.

Yeah, I feel your pain. Seems to be a frequent occurrence. I've had 2 LC bikes, 1st one (2014 plate) had the flap stick and replaced under warranty, bike got nicked before I had a chance to test longevity. New bike (2016 plate) stuck in warranty and was replaced, now out of warranty and the replacement has stuck, BMW won't replace (as mentioned not covered in the extended warranty along with corrosion and suspension over 30k miles). Hasn't bothered me, as doesn't appear to negatively effect the bike performance, though completely appreciate that's beside the point.

Appreciate where the OP is coming from too, a lot of us can't just buy new bikes on a whim, and using saved up money to buy a pride and joy is a kick in the teeth when things go wrong (speaking from personal experience). Hope you either (a) get it sorted on your own way or (b) learn to re-love the bike with the flap left open, like I do.

Secondly BMW sell, and we buy on the basis of quality product. If even the dealers are suggetsing there is a quality issue and 'theyre not as good as they used to be' then it's an problem.

Well, if they aren't as good as they used to be then they must be bad.

Because they were shite from day one back in 2009.

Exhaust flap on my '16 GS was squeaking every time I turned the ignition on. Got the local dealership to investigate it just before the 2 year warranty expired - ended up with a completely new set of headers as the flap was totally seized. Outside of warranty it would have been a €1500 fix so dodged a bullet there. Opted for the extended warranty recently, but the cover doesn't extend to the same degree as the original warranty (exhaust flap being one example).

Exhaust flap on my '16 GS was squeaking every time I turned the ignition on. Got the local dealership to investigate it just before the 2 year warranty expired - ended up with a completely new set of headers as the flap was totally seized. Outside of warranty it would have been a €1500 fix so dodged a bullet there. Opted for the extended warranty recently, but the cover doesn't extend to the same degree as the original warranty (exhaust flap being one example).

I'm 150 miles after the warranty has expired and I'm going back to BMW UK about the issue. I'd have less of an issue if it was £150 part that needed replacing, but having to replace a whole exhaust 150 miles after the warranty seems unreasonable.

Exhaust flap on my '16 GS was squeaking every time I turned the ignition on. Got the local dealership to investigate it just before the 2 year warranty expired - ended up with a completely new set of headers as the flap was totally seized.

My headers were replaced too, because the flap squeaked as it was cycled at ignition on. The replacement set started squeaking almost immediately. I got the dealer to log the fact.

Back
Top Bottom