Exhaust flap drama. BMW aren't listening.

Spike328

Reaction score
I have a 13 plate GS WC, with 23K miles on it. Its just out of warranty (and I think you know whats coming). Its been for a BMW service and they tell me the exhaust flap is stuck and that I need a new exhaust system. They tell me BMW will fund half of it but still want £640 for a new system.

This isn't a 'what shall I do' thread though. (as there is tons of good advice on the forum) Its a 'is anybody doing anything about it' thread. (other than saying f#ck it and buying a Triumph)

Reading the threads this seems like an ongoing issue with BMW. The dealers admit that it is a known fault, but it seems BMW aren't listening. Its not a recall issue. BMW just seem to have the view 'tough!'

Are any individuals or organisations trying to take this further (if so I will add my name). I know I can the jointing pipe and just remove the thing, but I paid a lot of my savings for my bike. It was my pride and joy and now I just feel duped.

Seems sort of sporting of them to offer half when its out of warranty. But thats a lot of dosh! Theres always a set of header pipes including flap on ebay. The flap is right at the end, perhaps you can get in there with some WD40 and free it off?

That's not good they've failed, but at least BMW have offered some goodwill.

Put a wanted thread up on here. Plenty have fitted the Akra headers, so have the original headers in the garage. I have them, but am fitting them back to my bike when I sell it next year. Unless someone makes me a decent offer for them:augie:D

Sorry to be a noob but what does the flap do?

makes it quieter to get it through the regs plus a bit of back pressure might aid low down running, disabled mine from brand new, then bought decat headers

Mine failed for exactly the same reason 3 weeks before warranty expired. Only picked up on a routine software update!
BMW are exceeding sales targets due to demand. While this continues BMW will not give a flying F*uck about after sales if you have no warranty. I know because Customer services in the past have fobbed me off.

Why did you not buy the warranty? Just reading this forum will tell you that your get your money back on one claim alone. I love my bike but I will not buy another expensive BMW unless things change with their attitude. My view is that the extra cost of warranty comes with the total cost of ownership.

When I change it in a few years it will be a bike that has three years warranty as standard and is reliable!

If I had no warranty I would disconnect cables and ensure it is stuck open.

It stays closed at low revs to improve the torque delivery at low revs and open up at higher revs to aid power delivery. This is how it was explained to me, is it true, i do not know.

Mine failed for exactly the same reason 3 weeks before warranty expired. Only picked up on a routine software update!
BMW are exceeding sales targets due to demand. While this continues BMW will not give a flying F*uck about after sales if you have no warranty. I know because Customer services in the past have fobbed me off.

Why did you not buy the warranty?

The exhaust system isn't listed in the Motorrad Extended Warranty Policy T&C's so would almost certainly come under the following wording from the policy document:

Any components not specifically listed are not covered

:blast

The exhaust system isn't listed in the Motorrad Extended Warranty Policy T&C's so would almost certainly come under the following wording from the policy document:

Any components not specifically listed are not covered

:blast

We are being taken for mugs, corrosion, and shock absorbers are not covered after 30K! :(

All good points about dealing with the issue. I guess my point is BMW are selling these bikes with an inherent fault. The flap isn't a service item. They will all get gunked up and fail sooner or later. (A fact, I am guessing they won't be mentioning at the NEC show next month when they are showing them off).

No offense, but the only "drama" I see here is created by the OP. The bike broke, it is out of warranty. It is not a particularly common issue, so it is not an "inherent fault".

Fix the bike and move on. Complaining about it, especially as a first and second (only) posts, is just whining.

Jim :cool:

The flap valve is easily removed from the system and lubbed / freed off, why the need for a complete 'new' exhaust system??????????

Jim, according to the BMW dealer (no names, no pack drill) it is a common problem due to poor design. There is a reason there are so many threads about removing the flap and there are even firms offering bits of pipe in order to get over the issue.
Secondly BMW sell, and we buy on the basis of quality product. If even the dealers are suggetsing there is a quality issue and 'theyre not as good as they used to be' then it's an problem.
I don't mind paying more for quality as long as that's what getting.

Jim, according to the BMW dealer (no names, no pack drill) it is a common problem due to poor design. There is a reason there are so many threads about removing the flap and there are even firms offering bits of pipe in order to get over the issue.
Secondly BMW sell, and we buy on the basis of quality product. If even the dealers are suggetsing there is a quality issue and 'theyre not as good as they used to be' then it's an problem.
I don't mind paying more for quality as long as that's what getting.

Depends on how much you trust dealers...I know I don't at all. I've bought two new BMW bikes in the last 10 months and had issues with both 1st services at different dealers.

1) Misdiagnosed my bike which actually had no fault at all then came back with the coolant 2cm below the min mark
2) Completely overfilled the oil so it was over the sight glass after 2 mins off the bike

I wouldnt trust these idiots to spell BMW let alone work on my bike

Just a thought do you have a mate with a GS still in warranty

Maybe he could see if your headers fitted to his bike have the same problem on his bike,:augie just before it goes in for a service

Back
Top Bottom