My new Versys

I'm waiting on mine being delivered from sunny Bournemouth to not so sunny Northern Ireland this Monday. Looking forward to getting a few miles done..

Had 2 now, a Mk1 and now a Mk 2 , probably 40,000 miles between them and not a thing gone wrong with them , wouldn't go back to other makes I won't mention. A great bike that is great for all day riding.

Yes. I probably will like it if collectmybike.com would stop moving the goalposts and get it here! Apparently his van "blew up" today so that's yet another date buggered!! Worth the wait hopefully ��

57,000 miles on clock now. First MOT due in February I think.

2015 Versys 1000- 57,000 miles, 10 shims, 5 rear tyres, 6 front tyres, 6 oil changes, 1 set of plugs, 1 air filter, 6 fork seals, 1 set of headrace bearings, 1 chain and sprocket set, 4 screens, 3 pairs of front brake pads, 2 pair of rear pads (old ones wouldn't' wear out) 6 washes and counting.

57,000 miles on clock now. First MOT due in February I think.

2015 Versys 1000- 57,000 miles, 10 shims, 5 rear tyres, 6 front tyres, 6 oil changes, 1 set of plugs, 1 air filter, 6 fork seals, 1 set of headrace bearings, 1 chain and sprocket set, 4 screens, 3 pairs of front brake pads, 2 pair of rear pads (old ones wouldn't' wear out) 6 washes and counting.

Wow , you are getting your money's worth out of that . My 2011 GS had similar mileage when I got rid of it 2 years ago.
Never heard of anyone wearing out more fronts than rears , did you have a puncture ? Also I notice on this update you've bought yet another screen. What's the problem there ?

If the OPs is anything like my 2012 V1K, they are a bit flighty on the front & mine cupped the front tyre well before the rear was done.

Good value bikes these - that engine might be getting old now, but a peach nonetheless.

Wow , you are getting your money's worth out of that . My 2011 GS had similar mileage when I got rid of it 2 years ago.
Never heard of anyone wearing out more fronts than rears , did you have a puncture ? Also I notice on this update you've bought yet another screen. What's the problem there ?
You worked it out correctly, had a front puncture whilst doing 80 on the motorway. Weirdly it felt like the rear was wobbling about, I pulled over fully expecting to see a flat rear tyre, but it was the front with a big nail in it. Popped a new puncture repair wossname into it and pumped it up, got me home, replaced the tyre.

Versys owners all seem to have an eternal search for a better screen. I have the original (good for summer when you want to keep cool), a short Calsci (on the bike at the moment, refitted it last week when the weather turned nasty) and a Givi Airflow for total freezing cold weather. I also have a Givi large screen, which I never liked from day one, it made filtering through standstill traffic a nightmare, I couldn't see the mirrors of vehicles I was squeezing between properly.

Any chance of an up date

Read through your thread again today, I tried the V2 in 2015 when getting rid of my second Triumph Exploader,2 bikes with multiple problems (why oh why did I buy the second one ???) also tried the Super Tenere, loved both and wanted to go with the Versys but equally liked the S10, the Yamaha dealer offered £1000 more for the Exploader in PX, now on my second S10 they are fantastic bikes BUT having had Z900s and Z1000s since the late 70s still have some classic ZEDs. I am now considering changing the S10, I'm again drawn towards the Versys, no decisions made yet but I'll be off for a test ride very soon, I do hope they don't have a 900RS demo when I get there cos I have deliberately been avoiding taking 1 out for a test ride, could well cause me a dilemma.

I would be sorely tempted by the 900RS over the Versys, I must admit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I still have my 2012 Versys 1000 original one in White, 40,000 miles and still going strong. Maxton suspension and full Arrow system with a remap are the only major changes and it's been a brilliant bike especially as it was 'only' £8500 new.
They are really good road bikes and have proved to be really reliable.
I have a 2018 R1200GSA as well now (which wasn't as much of a bargain!) as it was the best bike with shaft drive, cruise that we tried. Hands are a bit fucked now so cruise is very handy for the motorway days getting down south on holidays.

I'm up to 74,000 miles now. Engine is still not using any oil and plenty zippy enough. Another fork seal is weeping though, I am living with that at the moment, although I have new seals on standby

Used it to go to casualty in the very early hours of Thursday morning with a kidney stone causing me agony and got me home again late on Friday evening after surgery to put a stent in and generally being interfered with down below. It was just parked any old how at the hospital, I was in no fit state to worry about finding the bike parking area, just shoved a U lock through the front wheel.

Just pulled the trigger on this today , bought to keep the miles down on the GSA and play during the winter , its done less than 14,000 miles on the in 11 years.

Roll on modifications starting with a Givi rack and perhaps a nice funky lime green paint scheme

Attachments

• versys 1.jpg
    versys 1.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 673
  • versys 2.jpg
    versys 2.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 675
  • versys 4.jpg
    versys 4.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 665
  • versys 6.jpg
    versys 6.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 675
Looks in real good nick Neil . I used to have one many years ago and it was a great bike.

Silverman

Looks in real good nick Neil . I used to have one many years ago and it was a great bike.

Silverman

Been doing a lot of local runs this year on roads where the GSA is really too big, plus I've got two decent Continental trips planned next yearon the GSA so this will be used locally to keep down the miles and running costs

Can't stop fiddling with bikes and to be honest 3 new BMW's in a row mean other than adding shiny bits there isn't much I can do, the CCm is sorted so the versys has come under scrutiny.

Had a load of Goodridge kit in the garage and as the bike needed a brake fluid change I got stuck in and changed the lines as well, rear was a straight swap but I hate the look of the original 2 line set up with a crossover pipe over the front mudguard so dug out an old front brake splitter from the spares box and got stuck in changing it to a three line set up.

Also added a waterproof USB charging socket on the dash and mounted the spare Garmin 660 sat nav mount over the clocks so I can use the sat nav off the BM, stripped the wiring so that it is only running the power and earth into the mount.

The actual mount on the bike is made out of a few pence worth of scrap aluminium and is a facsimile of the OE Kawasaki mount that costs £60 odd .

Added a cheap set of mirror extenders so that now i can see more than my elbows.

I also intend to do fatbar conversion but the kawasaki uses a ridiculous riser arrangement where the bar mounting bolts are angled , i picked up a cheap £10 conversion clamp and a used set of risers from E Bay so will have to approach my expert aluminium welder to join the two together and plate the gap in the risers

Attachments

• 163.jpg
    163.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 526
  • 166.jpg
    166.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 556
  • 172.jpg
    172.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 555
  • 174.jpg
    174.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 530
Intend to power the accesories and heated grips using an auxilliary marine type fuse box that will be powered via a switched live 30A relay and mounted near the battery

Attachments

• 181.jpg
    181.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 559
  • 182.jpg
    182.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 565
  • 189.jpg
    189.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 547

Back
Top Bottom