My new Versys

Fatbars fitted , switched live feed auxilliary fuse box ,heated grips and Ducati Monster rear shock ................. what next ?

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 492
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 473
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 497
Couple of more

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 491
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 488
  • 188.jpg
    188.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 511
Hi Neil ,, if I may ask , what make is the fuse/ switch box ?

Apologies for butting in OP/boatman. Marine distribution boxes are usually made by Blue Sea - not sure about this one.

Depends on your needs, but you may be better off with something like a Denali Power hub on a BMW. These are canbus compatible & made specifically to handle the conditions we sometimes endure when biking ........

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mo...6AADAJsQcUZBCOBuOHDJ7IkWxaJpe92MaAobsEALw_wcB

If searching around, you may come across Eastern Beaver products which are popular in the US; sadly these prove rather expensive to import.

It is a Blue Sea Marine one activated via a 30A switched relay, the location is watertight and reasonably vibration free plus it was less than 1/2 the price of a Denali or Fuzeblock .

They also do smaller versions

The Ducati shock is a 335mm long one from a late 90's Monster , it is a Sachs shock and slightly longer than the Kawasaki shock but has a much softer spring.

The Sachs shock has spherical bearings top and bottom which have a 12mm internal diameter the same as the Kawasaki shock , however, they are sleeved down to 10mm for the Ducati.

The 2 part sleeves can easily be removed and all it needed were four spacers turned up on the lathe to take up the gaps at the mounts as the Sachs shock is narrower at the mounts

Well I've clocked up over 1000 miles on the Versys since putting it back on the road after the winter and another 150 or so miles on the GSA, to be honest for 95% of the motorcycling I do it is the better bike and I have more fun on it.

The GSA will get used for 2 European tours this summer and the rest of the time it will no doubt be the Versys.

If my wife decides next year that she is going to stop going away on the bike I can forsee me ending up with a new V Strom 650 XT or late model F800GS and get rid of the GSA

Did a 200 mile run out on Saturday went around by Rothbury, Bellingham, Wark ,Alston, Nenthead, Stanhope, Blanchland ,Slaley, Stamfordham and then home, bike is getting 57 mpg and the handling is excellent........... it could do with a front brake upgrade but other than that for an older budget bike it is superb and Kawasaki could teach BMW a great deal about making a seat that is actually comfortable

looking at buying a 2015 650 after 38k in three years on a cb500f

had a 56 plate mk1 in 2009 that i put 40k on in two years

theres now a very local kwak place so might go digging :D

apart from a split stick coil we changed at the side of the N4 in ireland on holiday never had any bother with it

checked mot for it and its on 67k now :D

Enjoyed my versys 1000.Pity they didn't fit shaft drive to the new model.

Had an issue last week when putting the Versys on the paddock stand, bloody Oxford one collapsed just as the bike was at its point of balance and the bloody thing went over on its right side with the collapsed paddock stand stuck underneath it .
Resulted in a snapped front brake lever, smashed MRA screen , damage to the top box but worst of all the paddock stand put a massive dink in the alloy swinging arm . Alloy Swinging Arms are virtually unobtainable secondhand due to the Supertwins racers buying them up en masse to fit on the ER6 racers. When they do come up they go for £250 to £300 ...........bollocks

Using a bit of lateral thinking decided to follow what the Yanks are doing with their gravel runner Versys/ER6 bikes and bought a used later ER6 swinging arm from EBay for £28 and a bit of paint later voila bike back on the road.

Another advantage will be if I decide to adventurise the versys at a later date the steel arm allows the fitment of a longer rear shock and more rear suspension travel

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 325
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 380
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 324
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg