Motolug 8 or 10 inch wheels

rjsmith26

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Planning on getting a motolug for trail bike / gsa (one at a time not a dual).

Any feedback on wheel size and why?

My heart says go 10, Motolug say 8 is ok only go 10 if centre ball is >16.5 inches.

Would welcome experience of any fellow tossers.:)

Mine has the 8" and I have towed UK / Scotland for the last 3 yrs
BMW - XC 650, 650 twin, Z1000, KL500, GS 1200, GS 1150 GSA.
Behind my transit van at 60mph and never has a problem ( and more on occasions) ( private road M lud )
Bought a spare wheel / tyre via eBay
Highly recommended

:aidan

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1449780382334.jpg
    FB_IMG_1449780382334.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,423
  • FB_IMG_1449781259285.jpg
    FB_IMG_1449781259285.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,682
8" on mine and never a problem with towing GSA or RT and much easier to stow in vehicle with smaller wheels when not in use

Good point, never thought of that....

I had 8" on my first Motolug which worked fine but I have gone for 10" on my new one as the 8" wear out fast on longer journeys.

I have not had an issue transporting the 10" version in my car but then I have large car.

I am a bit paranoid about having trailer problems on long trips so I always carry two new spare wheels and a grease gun for the bearings.

The tyres that Motolug supply are a bit crap, my personal opinion.

All three originals 8" tyres from Motolug shredded within the first four uses. Not overloaded! I argued with Motolug and without question they replaced both suspension units and upgraded to the 10" tyres.

The fact that they didn't quibble was a bit suspect to me but the 10" option had been great.

The earlier Motolug had its problems but I think they have been ironed out now. The metal mudguard mounts used to crack where they bolted on to the suspension units. Mine were replaced by Motolug, again no quibble and the quality of the wiring was a bit naff. I've replaced the light units and fully rewired mine.

So to answer your question..... go for the 10". If you do this you can happily change your car and not worry about towbar heights. Mine has been towed behind a Mazda 6, Vectra SRi and a Volvo XC70 all different heights.

When I got mine, they put a trailer on the back of my pickup and said a 10" would tow at a better height.

There is a new one on fleabay at the moment

I have 10 inch , they came with the trailer,
I ran 8 inch on a previous trailer with no issues,
The loading angle is steeper with the bigger wheels, as the axle is notably higher,
The standard light units need sealing up as they let water in,, easy fix,
Roamer,

Gents,

I'm contemplating the Motolug, but I have reservations about loading my GSA onto it on my own. Do any of you load your GS's onto an Motolug on your own? If so, is it difficult or risky? Any other tips or considerations gratefully received!

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

I am with you on getting a bike on sing,e handed.

As I'm not a true tosser, and my butler is off for a while, I use two ramps, and am much happier sitting on the bike and riding it up very slowly with a foot on each ramp.

It does of course mean you have to take the ramps with you, but as I only use it a couple of times a year, and don't want to drop the bike it's a much easier way.

I made up some brackets to keep each ramp on the axle.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1469554633.775343.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1469554633.775343.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 1,130
I've had a couple of new Motolugs and both have been supplied with 8" wheels and both were perfectly Ok!

After two successive trips from MK to the highlands my 8"tyres are shot, both cracking up in the grooves all over the place. Ive had similar issues with these tyres on a trailer heading to Nice a few years back. Fitted two new tyres for that trip and they basically didnt last the trip!!
So im seriously considering upgrading to 10" wheels. Is it just a case of fitting the bigger wheels? Do they fit in the same mudguards ok? I assume the hitch will sit in the lower holes rather than angled up to the ball as it does now to ride level?

and what everyone seems to have overlooked fixating on size... :rolleyes: the 8" are tubed but the 10" are tubeless :p

Back
Top Bottom