Stockholm as a tourist - advice needed

SiRich

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can anyone help me here? I'm going to Stockholm next weekend for a few days, flying to Arlanda airport.

Is the transfer to the centre stariaghtforwards (their is a train)?

any must see places?

Any must go to drinking and eating areas , I'm looking for somewhere lively maybe even a nightclub. Will be there Saturday returning Tuesday.

:beerjug:

Take lots of cash. Beers are not cheap! Train straight to centre with German efficiency

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

As above, the express straight into the city. We stayed in the hotel (Radisson ? Not sure) just outside the station . . It has the "Ice Bar" and it was great. Everyone told us how expensive it was but when we got there it was ok. We wanted to head out to Sandham Island as our son was racing a yacht there at the time and again found the cost of the boat trip was ok. Good pubs in the old quarter. Also a trip to the Vasa museum is a must. Google it.

Do not miss the "Vasa"

A totally intact warship from the era of HenryV111.
Allow a minimum of 3 hours in the drydock.
Breathtaking.
Myke

I go to Stockholm a lot.

The Arlanda Express is good, just follow the signs. The airport bus runs regularly too, terminating its journey at the central bus station. It's cheaper and reasonably quick.

There are now lots of 'boutique' hotels in Stockholm, some of which are quite quirky and fun. There are also some basic but cheap B&B type hotels, often in converted office blocks. Prices? Well booze is more expensive than the UK but, at the current rates of exchange, not much more than you'd pay in London.

Buy a tourist travel card for the (very good) underground and bus system; you'll probably find that your mobile works on the underground, too.

The 'Old town' - Gamla Stan - is popular enough but the previously run down areas of the city are where all the kickin' night clubs are.

If you want to go and buy some Rukka, Joffarma or whatever gear at prices that will near enough match FC Moto, go to:

http://www.mcvaruhuset.se

at NORRA STATIONSGATAN 93. You can walk in about 30 minutes from the central station or take the underground out for a couple of stops and walk about 10 minutes. If nothing else they all speak English, you'll get a coffee and you can look at their virgin RC30 and NR750.

PS Pick up a free street map at any hotel or the tourist desk at the airport. Everyone is very helpful.

PPS If it's on, maybe watch some ice hockey at the Globe arena or one of the local stadiums. Even if you don't follow all or any of the rules, it's worth it for all the razzmatazz.

I go to Stockholm a lot.

The Arlanda Express is good, just follow the signs. The airport bus runs regularly too, terminating its journey at the central bus station. It's cheaper and reasonably quick.

There are now lots of 'boutique' hotels in Stockholm, some of which are quite quirky and fun. There are also some basic but cheap B&B type hotels, often in converted office blocks. Prices? Well booze is more expensive than the UK but, at the current rates of exchange, not much more than you'd pay in London.

Buy a tourist travel card for the (very good) underground and bus system; you'll probably find that your mobile works on the underground, too.

The 'Old town' - Gamla Stan - is popular enough but the previously run down areas of the city are where all the kickin' night clubs are.

If you want to go and buy some Rukka, Joffarma or whatever gear at prices that will near enough match FC Moto, go to:

http://www.mcvaruhuset.se

at NORRA STATIONSGATAN 93. You can walk in about 30 minutes from the central station or take the underground out for a couple of stops and walk about 10 minutes. If nothing else they all speak English, you'll get a coffee and you can look at their virgin RC30 and NR750.

PS Pick up a free street map at any hotel or the tourist desk at the airport. Everyone is very helpful.

PPS If it's on, maybe watch some ice hockey at the Globe arena or one of the local stadiums. Even if you don't follow all or any of the rules, it's worth it for all the razzmatazz.

Thanks for the info Wapping. Interesting idea re the bike shop it's on my growing list of things to do. :beerjug:

There's a restaurant where all the waiters and waitresses are students at the school of performing arts and they put on a show between courses. I went with customers and colleagues from Sweden in 2009 and it was an excellent Elvis show :D

I'll try and find out the name of the place (I recognised it when I was there again in February)

Golden hits? Something like that. You usually have to book in advance.

One last tip. All (or most) of the taxies take credit cards. There are two mainstream Stockholm taxi companies, usually in big dark blue or chrome yellow Volvo cars. There is then a deregulated crew. If in doubt, head for the mainstream taxi ranks. The others are OK, if you know what to be ready for; some are shall we say 'a bit inventive' with their fare tariffs.

There's a restaurant where all the waiters and waitresses are students at the school of performing arts and they put on a show between courses. I went with customers and colleagues from Sweden in 2009 and it was an excellent Elvis show :D

I'll try and find out the name of the place (I recognised it when I was there again in February)

Wallmanns Salonger?

Back
Top Bottom