Exhause noise

marcopol

Reaction score
I already have a standard 2009 GSA R1200. Just bought a 2012 R1200 GSA twin cam TU. There is a considerable difference in the exhaust noise between both bikes The 2012 is very loud, almost Thumper like. I checked and it has an undamaged OE exhaust. Should it be so noisy compared to the 09 ? Are the exhausts interchangeable ?

"Very loud" is subjective. I think my TC was loudish as standard, but a long way from being "very loud", which I would use to describe a bike that failed a track day or MoT noise test.

Its certainly louder with a set of decatted headers and the flappy valve removed, but still not "very loud", especially when I'm wearing my earplugs!. Maybe if I set off for work at 05-00hrs I would think about a quieter end can, but I don't.

I have had a 2005 R1200GS and now a 2010 R1200GSA TC. The '10 is definitely noisier than the '05, matches the noise from my 1150 which has a y-piece and Remus box.
I like the noise, but it sometimes sets off car alarms...

The 09 exhaust or any none TC Hexhead will fit if you use it all, headers and silencer. You will save a bit of hassle by getting rid of the flap as well as they often screw up and get stuck.

Later bikes have the flap valve to reduce noise. Fit a pre flap valve system (straight swap) or use baffles. The Remus Hexacone sounds good without the decibels

EXHAUST NOISE

Bendy, can you explain about the 'pre-flap valve system' please?
I do not have any knowledge of this or what the standard system actually does.

Ta

Charlie

All exhausts have the same pipe bends and mountings. A full system from up to 2009 will fit any Hexhead GS
A full system from 2009 onwards (flap valve type) will also fit any Hexhead GS. The flap valve works only on the 2009-> model.
The headers and cans within the two types are interchangeable but it's reasonable to use the same manufacturers for both.

When I got my 2012 TC the exhaust noise surprised me - quite a loud drone especially at cruising speeds. I know that we should all use them anyway but I now wear earplugs as a matter of course on any trip involving motorways. I did look at alternative cans (the Mivv can gets good reports and isn't too expensive) but I haven't done anything about it yet.

Having had the bike for a year now, I'm kind of used to the noise and the urge to 'do something about it' is waning...

I have the Akraprovic twin can shotgun system. The only one that's not mix and match front & back. It has a lovely rip but **** it's loud without baffles.
I tried some that fitted correctly into the outlets (47mm or 49mm) but they really bunged up the gas flow. 30mm dia baffles bolted onto spacers have been a good compromise between noise and gas flow.

Having had the bike for a year now, I'm kind of used to the noise and the urge to 'do something about it' is waning...

In my (admittedly fairly limited) experience the stock exhaust gets louder with age. There might come a time when you consider it too loud for comfort, and unfortunately I don't think the stock can is serviceable.
I bought an Arrow SS complete system and am really happy with both the build quality and the noise reduction, good price too at £499 all inc., plus the guy who owned the shop delivered it to my door as he was passing :beerjug:

On my 2010 I removed the flapper valve and had to buy a short length of pipe from nippy normans.
I left the drive unit in place having just removed the cables this way I avoided the the error code coming up if the whole unit is removed.
The bike still has the O/E exhaust fitted and since the valve has gone I have noticed an increase in noise from the exhaust, sometimes I think it is loud and other times it sounds just right.
I will replace the full system in time but whilst it works it stays.

2010 Model Year - 2012 Model Year, i.e. Twin Cam engined bikes, actually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_R1200GS

2004 to 2007 - Original R1200GS with single cam engine (aka Mk1)
2008 to 2009 - Face lifted model also single cam engine but a bit more power (aka Mk 2).
2010 to 2013 - Twin cam engine bodywork similar to the Mk2.

Exhausts are all interchangeable but flap valve works only on the Mk3. The mounting point are identical.

The flap valve motor can be removed completely. The ECU will record a fault which will show on the GS911 or BMW computer. The code will go away when valve motor is plugged back in. It will not show on the bike dash display.

I fitted Remus headers (decat) to 2010 TC - removed the flappy valve and it was loud through standard end can so ...... decide to add a Beowulf Titanium End Can (stunning quality by the way) and Christ, that is loud. Remove baffle and the dog legs it and he loves bikes ! Beowulf then supplies me with an alternative baffle and I can now go down the road without having suicidal thoughts.

At 70 mph my Akaraprovic system is hardly audible but tyre noise from the front wheel is uncomfortable even for a few minutes. At higher speeds or accelerating the exhaust does howl but according to friends (not all are bikers) it's not offensively loud. Brother's Remus Hexacone system is a lot quieter even without baffle.

I always wear ear plugs and can only hear the exhaust when it's really wound open. I hear no exhaust noise at all when riding Bro's bike.

I had a pair of Beowulf Trioval cans on the Diversion 900. They were deep sounding but very loud. Ordinary baffles would not fit as the outlets are angled. As a temporary fix I put in a pair of 30mm dia baffles bolted onto a spacer. They would go right into the outlet to sit at an angle to gas flow. The noise reduction was considerable with minimal effect on performance. Much better than Beowulf's own baffles.

Back
Top Bottom